• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone here opposed to drafting Gurley early, say "I" or forever hold your peace.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twentymen is leaning towards Tevin Coleman according to team site. It would be better to go either O-line or D-line in the first assuming FA does not fill those spots and then RB in round 2.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to agree with you Old Lion. If we don't sign two quality starting DT's in FA (Suh or Knighton along with at least 1 of CJ Mosley or Fairley) it would make it difficult to not draft a DT at #23, should one be there (Brown or Goldman). The media has stated the draft is deep in DT's as a whole but there are few 3-tech DT's in this draft that project to come in and immediately provide an impact.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twentymen is leaning towards Tevin Coleman according to team site. It would be better to go either O-line or D-line in the first assuming FA does not fill those spots and then RB in round 2.
In the 1st? He must know something we don't, because with Coleman electing not to work out at the combine he's a huge question mark right now...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twentyman stated possible options available in the 2nd rd might be Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Coleman, David Johnson along with Langford and Karlos Williams as 2nd day options.
TWENTYMAN: What's next for Lions at running back?

Coleman has a foot injury and was in a walking boot.
Tevin Coleman won't work out at NFL Scouting Combine - NFL.com
NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reported Monday that Indiana tailback Tevin Coleman will not participate in drills this week in Indianapolis because of a foot injury that has him in a walking boot.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of an interesting perspective on RB Gordon from CBS.
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Melvin Gordon
Weaknesses
Desires to bounce runs wide too often. Not as trusting of blocking from B-gap to B-gap. Held to "stuffs" -- runs resulting in no yards or a loss -- on 19.2 percent of his carries. Feel and instincts as interior runner need improvement. Shows indecisiveness as one-cut runner. Would gear down and stutter-step to line, waiting for crease to show itself rather than adjusting on fly and taking what was available. Play strength through hole was only average. Used speed over strength to create many missed or broken tackles. Benefited from gaping running lanes. Ball security was an issue. Fumbled six times over his final five games, often being stripped while finishing run. Uncomfortable pass-catcher with marginal hands. Either dropped, double caught or smothered many throws. Pass protection needs work. Might have to come off field on third downs.
NFL Comparison
Robert Smith
Bottom Line
Angular, talented open-field runner who combines outstanding burst with a long stride to gain separation and hit the home run. He won't be able to outrun NFL defenders like he did in college and must develop more feel between the tackles. Gordon shines when his track runs over tackle or around the end and can put a defense to sleep around the corner. Not trustworthy enough to be a three-down back, but his pass-catching improved enough to utilize him out of backfield as a receiver.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely have to take him as long as the following players are off the board...

Trey Waynes
Devante Parker
Malcolm Brown (If and when Suh leaves)
Danny Shelton
Landon Collins
Andrus Peat
Ereck Flowers

(I'm obviously leaving off all the stud top 10 picks, Beasley, Kevin White Etc etc..)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ :yes:

might want to add in DT Goldman in that group but you pretty much nailed it, thunder

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ :yes:

might want to add in DT Goldman in that group but you pretty much nailed it, thunder

Not sure about Goldman. Seems like a boom or bust pick to me. Reminds me of Fairley in the fact he didn't do much other than his junior year. Do you have any tape that could make me change my mind about him??

However, a case can be made... Gurley might also be the ultimate boom or bust pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really a fan of Goldman but the 1 thing people forget is that he was used as a 5-tech DE (3-4 base) in 2013 before switching back to a 3/1-tech DT this past year. He's big, athletic, possesses a strong punch, a gap plugger, run stuffer more than a pass rusher. I could probably say the same for Malcom Brown (U-Tex). I just like Brown's game a lot more than I do Goldman.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, drafting a RB IN the first round is a waste of a pick in 2015..

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Suh leaves and sure the DT is biggest need. He stays and you do have option of taking a RB then OL in second. LT is not a need but a luxury at the moment. Getting a damn good G/C can be done in 2nd rd. Not the way I want it to go. Just can't get completely behind you have to go OL before getting RB. Warford had a immediate impact from a 3rd rd guy.

IMO the Lions are getting a replacement for Reiff at 23. Don't see a guy falling that far that takes his spot and moves him elsewhere. So most likely the new lineman will come in 2nd or 3rd anyway.
Like you said... FA OL comes in and needs on draft day change a bunch.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 1st? He must know something we don't, because with Coleman electing not to work out at the combine he's a huge question mark right now...
The Twentyman will have nine different ideas before draft day. Got to drum up rumors for us to read.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I...

... am not at all opposed to drafting him at #23. I'd be happy as fuck if that were the case because, imo, he's the only RB in the draft that has the potential to be the next AP/Lynch...

I will wait until after Gordon's pro day before I go all in on Gurley. As of today my thoughts are Gurley in the first or wait until the second or third to get on of the top 6 backs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twentyman will have nine different ideas before draft day. Got to drum up rumors for us to read.

I already exceeded that # for 1st rd pick only and FA hasn't started

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to elaborate?

Sure. The NFL has quickly become a passing league, RBS have a short shelf life, there isnt a RB in the nfl or draft currently that would have much success behind the lions line at the moment. RB is an extremely overrated position in the NFL. RBS are more often a product of their offensive line creating holes than anything else. Im fine with riddick and bell for how cheap they are with an improved right side of the offensive line. Dont want the lions to waste money on a RB. Dont want a TE, QB, K, P, FB, or WR with that pick either. As much as I despised the ebron pick I think he will end up being productive in the next couple of years.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. The NFL has quickly become a passing league, RBS have a short shelf life, there isnt a RB in the nfl or draft currently that would have much success behind the lions line at the moment. RB is an extremely overrated position in the NFL. RBS are more often a product of their offensive line creating holes than anything else. Im fine with riddick and bell for how cheap they are with an improved right side of the offensive line. Dont want the lions to waste money on a RB. Dont want a TE, QB, K, P, FB, or WR with that pick either. As much as I despised the ebron pick I think he will end up being productive in the next couple of years.
I was under the impression that Larry Warford guy was pretty fuckin' good at RG. You want to replace Warford already?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what yer sayin'. I don't want them to waste money on a running back either. That's why Im hoping to see us get a starter via the draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Draft film study: Todd Gurley, Georgia

With Bush gone, there is now ample room for an upgrade. Joique Bell, Theo Riddick and George Winn remain in the fold, but the Lions desperately lack a true home-run threat out of the backfield. They are likely to add another back before training camp, possibly through the 2015 NFL draft.

Each week, we'll examine a running back from this year's talented crop. Up first is Georgia's Todd Gurley.

Todd Gurley is the highest rated back on most boards based purely on talent. The North Carolina native burst into the spotlight as a true freshman in the Southeastern Conference, rushing for 1,385 yards and 17 touchdowns.

At the start of Gurley's junior season, he was a Heisman Trophy Candidate. But his season did not go as planned as he dealt with an onslaught of adversity. He was suspended four games in October by the NCAA for accepting $400 for autographs. After missing five weeks he returned only to suffer a season-ending ACL injury.

At 6-1 and 222 pounds, Gurley is blessed with the rare combination of size, power, and speed but has major durability concerns. Let's dissect the tape to examine Gurley's strengths and weaknesses.

Production

In three seasons at Georgia, Gurley averaged 6.4 yards per carry and rushed for 36 touchdowns in 30 games. He caught 65 passes for six scores, and was a dangerous kickoff returner with two 100-yard kick return touchdowns on just 11 career returns.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power

Gurley is known for his physicality and toughness. He barrels through defenders, consistently falls forward for extra yardage, and is rarely taken down on initial contact. He is the type of back that will lower the wood on a defender instead of stepping out of bounds. I could have included 50 different runs that exemplified his bruising style.

Against Clemson in the 2014 season opener, he shed Vic Beasley (a projected first round selection in the upcoming draft) behind the line and exhibited exceptional balance by running through a second tackle. He stayed on his feet for an extra 13 yards.

Gurley always finishes his runs and it usually takes two guys to drag him to the ground. Weak, half-hearted tackle attempts will not slow him.