• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone here opposed to drafting Gurley early, say "I" or forever hold your peace.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know.

If he doesn't tear his ACL, we're talking about a top 15 player here. At 23, it might be a bit of a reach, maybe more risky, but I just don't think the guy makes it too far in the second. I know some people wouldn't touch him because of the injury but I often wonder how bad it actually is. For the record, I'd take Gordon at 23, along with a bunch of other guys, as I see several areas where a real difference maker is needed.

Thoughts?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Gurley and here's my butttttt, I really do NOT like drafting a RB in the 1st 3 rounds, at ALL. However, this kid might very well become the next AP, Murray or Lynch.

Depends on the DT situation for us as I'd prefer DT's Brown or Goldman at #23, not Phillips or Bennett as they're more early 2nd round guys.

long story short (BigLar on vacay temporarily)

A RESOUNDING................... YES, I WOULD DRAFT HIM AT #23

I still like Coleman ALOT as well as David Johnson (2nd round)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop1

I don't think that ACL tear is going to hurt Gurley's draft status, IMO.

He is a more complete 3-down back with loads of potential. I seriously could see a team in that 15-20 range, 1st rd., see the potential in him to take that gamble. like say Houston, San Diego

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, Denver doesn't need a RB, and I'll be pissed if the Falcons draft a RB before the 5th round.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I...

... am not at all opposed to drafting him at #23. I'd be happy as fuck if that were the case because, imo, he's the only RB in the draft that has the potential to be the next AP/Lynch...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am on the fence. I just do not want guys coming off injuries early in the draft, but he is exceptional.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop1

I don't think that ACL tear is going to hurt Gurley's draft status, IMO.

He is a more complete 3-down back with loads of potential. I seriously could see a team in that 15-20 range, 1st rd., see the potential in him to take that gamble. like say Houston, San Diego
I think it definitely hurt it some; imo he would have been a top-ten lock before the injury.

Tennessee at #2, Jacksonville #3, Oakland #4, NYJ #6, ATL #8, and NYG at #9 all would have been possible landing spots...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good points on those teams, especially ATL, except ATL's Def was in shambles last year and picking early on in the 2nd round for all those teams, I'd think there is more value for those teams in another direction (Def) outside of RB for their 1st rd.

JMO though that all those teams needs are more on the def. side

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do NOT Want.

Will be scared if we draft him. Not pissed, but scared.(In the handful of games I watched him, I thought of Tyrone Wheatley a few times. In a good way.)

Plus, he'll just hurt his other knee......

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a no. RB's are devalued on draft day and that injury does push him back. If the Lions want to move out of the 1st rd completely for another pick or two, ones that could be used immediately to move up in the second from our pick for another 1st round talent that drops on draft day (there are always one or two) then I am fine rolling the dice that way. Otherwise I have had my limit with this team drafting players with known injury histories

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thoughts.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd Gurley: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on RB's NFL Draft Stock | Bleacher Report

Doctor James Andrews discussed the running back's knee as well, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen:

"I heard some fuss that Gurley wouldn't let teams examine him and that's just totally misleading," said Andrews. "The team physicians I have spoken with who are there -- and I have spoken to a bunch of them -- were all happy about what they saw. I mean, they're smart enough to know you can't have 32 teams pulling and tugging on a knee just 3½ months removed from surgery. But the doctors I spoke with said he looked great and I'd say he's probably six weeks ahead with his recovery."

[...]

"Gurley's quad muscle is way ahead of what you would expect even at this stage and that's vital to a good recovery, as you know," said Andrews. "The Georgia trainer, Ron Courson, did a great job the first six weeks post-surgery and then Todd came here (at he Andrews Institute in Pensacola, FL) and I was very happy before he left for Indianapolis He's been running on a treadmill, running underwater, he's never had any swelling and these teams will get to see just how much more progress he will continue to make before the draft (April 30-May 2)."

According to Bryan Fischer of NFL.com, Gurley is starting to jog but won't participate in any activity during Georgia's pro day:

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not taking Gurley in the first round. I'd take the chance in the second. We always talk about needing our first round pick to contribute right away and I don't think Gurley is ready for the start of the season and even if he's available the chances that he's in peak condition is slim. And chances are he doesn't have a long career anyway being a runningback and all. I'm likely not taking Gordon in the 1st either.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, his injuries scare the shit out of me. This is a deep draft for RB's. Would rather see us draft DL or OL especially if Suh departs.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I...

... am not at all opposed to drafting him at #23. I'd be happy as fuck if that were the case because, imo, he's the only RB in the draft that has the potential to be the next AP/Lynch...
Is Gurley the only RB you would take at 23? Seemed dead set against a 1st round RB early on.

I do see MM liking shiny toys early. Suh leaves go DT. Stays and I am BPA OL. My reoccurring theme will David Johnson UNI in later round.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

No more injured players. Best, Broyles, Bush......stay away. Especially not in the first round. I'd rather have Ameer Abdullah and his tiny woman-like hands.(in the later rounds)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Gurley the only RB you would take at 23? Seemed dead set against a 1st round RB early on.

I do see MM liking shiny toys early. Suh leaves go DT. Stays and I am BPA OL. My reoccurring theme will David Johnson UNI in later round.
Yes. None of the other ones have a good enough size/speed ratio to go that early, imo. Generally speaking, I'm still against a RB in the 1st as a rule, but Gurley looks like one of those special backs who can be a real game changer out of the backfield for us.

In the 2nd round Coleman, Da. Johnson, or Gordon would be acceptable, imo. After that it's a crap shoot as there is some talented, but flawed, RBs remaining...