• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any chance the one and done rule is being removed, and soon?

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the McD's AA selection show today. Something jumped out to me....it was a statistic.
Now I dont remember it all completely, but bottom line is Gary Williams Maryland team in 2002 was the last to win a NCAA title without one single McD's AA. I forgot how many years prior to 2002 it was for the exact situation but I do know it has been 11, going on 12 years since that Maryland team.

That in itself is killing the college game. These 24 different players every year are going to the same schools over and over again. A group comes in, then a group leaves making room for the next one and done's and so on.

I have a proposal or more or less an idea because it will never be submitted to the NBA......

Get rid of the one and done rule.....bring back straight from high school.

Then those who dont make the jump from high school they have to be removed from high school for at LEAST 3 years before they can declare. They can sign over in Europe or likewise places or enroll in a college for 3 years, develop their game, enjoy true competition, and get an education.

Sure the NBA heads here and everywhere who think the players grow on trees and dont give a crap about any basketball besides the NBA, couldnt care less. But my idea benefits both parties here.....more developed draft prospects would equal a better all around product....the college game would get back to what it once was.

Sure there is parity at the college level in regular season games. I agree with that argument, and that is fine. But when the tournament comes around, statistical FACTS tell you that parity is out the window and only a handful of teams. Hell to fill out an almost perfect bracket all you have to do is go back 4/5 years in recruiting. Tally up the McDs AA and which teams complied the most talent around those AA's and that should give you a pretty accurate bracket. UNC has had an up and down year, but you can write them into your sweet 16 bracket right now.........

Sorry for the long rant that went more college than I expected....but I am sure there are other posters who enjoy both levels of competition who have an opinion on this

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the 3 years removed but with no exceptions.

Kareem, Wilt, LBJ a few others all could have come straight from high school and or did.

If I could control everything I would make the D League a no cap league, NBA a 24 team relegation league with a 3 year removed rule.

The longer players are out of the NBA the better the NBA product will be (as well as every pre NBA product), however, players coming out of high school just like every other high schooler with gifts should be allowed to be recruited by the private sector. The top minds come out of high school, not college. High school players will be able to get what ever they want ($) from either Euro leagues or the D league.

Relegation will be the only way that under non 20 year olds can get into the NBA. If they are that good, their team will be playing in the NBA with in a year.

The tricky part is putting a team that is with out a salary cap into a situation that they must adhere to those regulations. An easy fix would be to say that the D league has the same cap rules as the big leagues.

This still hinders the college game but let's be honest, college athletics is little more than worker exploitation.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the 1 and done. I also don't like straight from high school.

1) 1 and done: The top prospects go to the same colleges. All they really have to do is attend classes and make minimum grades for 1 semester. That's it. Who cares if the flunk out 2nd semester, because they are leaving anyways. Also, you never get to know teams really, and the tournament basically is starting to become just a glorified version of the McDonald's AA game. In short, it is not good for education purposes or for college basketball.

2) Straight from high school: Hate this. First I don't think it's good for the NBA. Kobe, LBJ, and Garnett are the very very very minor exceptions. You will have a great majority of the kids declaring who are not really ready. However, teams will feel forced to draft them due to potential, sit them on the bench, put in D league, etc... Also, I think we have at least some obligation on what is best for the kids. Remember, these are in many cases 16 and 17 year old kids who will be making the decision. A 16 year old kid who is a big fish in a little pond will decide he is going straight from high school in maybe his sophomore or junior year. What is his incentive now to care at all about his high school education? Hell, he could flunk every single class his senior year and it wouldn't matter. How many kids will do this only to realize later that they weren't even ready for the NBA? In short, it will water down the NBA and hurt kids who aren't mature enough to make these decisions.

** Solution: 2 and done. Kids will have to worry about at least getting a high school education. They will have to worry about finding a college that is right for them (yes I know some could decide to play pro ball elsewhere, but that too would be an exception). Then they will have to worry about at LEAST getting 1.5 years of college education under their belts. Finally, NBA won't be getting a watered down product and college basketball will thrive. In short, it is better for the kids, better for college bball, and better for the NBA.

As for the ONLY complaint I could see under this solution being the kid who says he has to wait until he is 20 to become a millionaire instead of 18, while getting an education...:bawling:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Euro leagues would pay top players probably more than their rookie scale is...but it seems they are adding caps in the near future...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 and dones are hurting the game, but not the way most of you think.

Are they all going to the same schools? Yes. Are those schools winning? Not as much as you'd think.

Teams like Butler, etc, that have chemistry and developed 2 and 3 star players are staying competitive EVERY YEAR. Meanwhile you have Kentucky, FAIL to make the NCAA, then lose in the first round of the NIT. You have Duke and UNC, both traditional powerhouses, getting beat weekly THIS year.

What we are seeing is IF you can put together an all star team and win ONE year, you then suck for the next 3 or 4. We're seeing schools with more traditional recruiting and talent development going DEEP in the NCAAs. What we're not seeing is these teams that gobble up all the AA talent winning.

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 and dones are hurting the game, but not the way most of you think.

Are they all going to the same schools? Yes. Are those schools winning? Not as much as you'd think.

Teams like Butler, etc, that have chemistry and developed 2 and 3 star players are staying competitive EVERY YEAR. Meanwhile you have Kentucky, FAIL to make the NCAA, then lose in the first round of the NIT. You have Duke and UNC, both traditional powerhouses, getting beat weekly THIS year.

What we are seeing is IF you can put together an all star team and win ONE year, you then suck for the next 3 or 4. We're seeing schools with more traditional recruiting and talent development going DEEP in the NCAAs. What we're not seeing is these teams that gobble up all the AA talent winning.

Going deep, making final 4's literally is nothing against my point. The point is, with the one and done only the teams landing McD's AA are winning NCs....... I doubt Wichita State will win it this year, but bet your ass UNC, DUKE, UK, KU, Louisville,MSU,UM, Zona, SYR, UF will be in the mix and one of those I just mentioned will win it all. Honorable mention teams.......OSU, UCLA, Okie Lite etc........ Teams with McDs AA win NCs. It is a statistical fact with the one and done rule. The same schools keep getting the McDs AA and just reloading.

I guarantee UKs class isnt anywhere near what it is this year if the one and done rule is gone. Kids still want to play and want to compete. 7 McD AA last year, 4 more this year. I guarantee half of that roster is playing at other schools, and at least half of that half are not playing at the above mentioned schools.

Back in the day you could build teams with what is basically a roster of 3 star players by todays standards. Now you need 4 and 5 star players just to be second fiddle to the above mentioned schools.

The example of a school landing McDs AA and being a complete trainwreck is Baylor. But that is all on their coach.

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also losing weekly to teams with "less" talent isnt nothing against my argument. I stated during the season there is more parity which is good. But is go time, the typical teams are always there under the one and done rule.

They literally do not hand out participation ribbons

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the one & done in place over just allowing unproven high school kids being allowed to take up a roster spot & cash that would otherwise go to better veteran players.

Ideally, I would prefer the system the MLB has in place for high school kids. Kids would have the option of entering the draft or going to college. But if you choose college, you have to stay 3 years. This would require each to NBA franchise to own an operate an individual D-league franchise. The NBA would also need to add a 3rd & possibly 4th rounds to the draft. The guys drafted in the 3rd & 4th rounds would allow the NBA to have a small farm system in place to draft & develop young players while not guaranteeing them money other than minimum NBA wage when the play in NBA till they accrue enough service time. Then have an arbitration/free agency system in place like the MLB does for prospect/young players.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really the easiest and best thing to do is let kids declare whenever they want and if they arent drafted where they want to be or expect to be just let them come back to school as long as they didnt hire an agent. This rule used to be in place for a few years and worked fine. There is zero reason to penalize kids for going pro if they want to but there is also zero reason to penalize them if they get bad info and dont get drafted where they expect to. Afterall we are talking about 18/19 year old kids. What Id propose is letting the players come out ONE time and return to school if they are not drafted high enough for their liking BUT if they come out and arent picked where they want to be they have to attend college 2 years after that. So if you come out right after HS and go 2nd round or are undrafted then you ahev to stay through at least your sophomore year, if you leave as a freshman and come back you are there til after your junior year etc. Seems reasonable to me.Biggest part of this would be making sure the players didnt accept money or sign with an agent though so NCAA oversight would have to be strict.