• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any big trades incoming?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like things are pretty slow right now. I hope something comes out of nowhere since the trade deadline is approaching.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Many of the big trades lately do not seem to work out that well. Percy Harvin to Seattle - Trent Richardson to Indy are two examples that come to mind that involve 1st round picks. Block buster trades seem to be a thing of the past. Teams prefer to build through the draft. With the rookie salary cap that is where the value is and if they pan out you need big $ to keep them.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of the big trades lately do not seem to work out that well. Percy Harvin to Seattle - Trent Richardson to Indy are two examples that come to mind that involve 1st round picks. Block buster trades seem to be a thing of the past. Teams prefer to build through the draft. With the rookie salary cap that is where the value is and if they pan out you need big $ to keep them.

Yeah, that's been known for a while now, but every year some team ends up making a head scratching move out of nowhere. I WANT ANOTHER ONE!!! (just not from my team)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say some trades have worked out...I would say the Packers were pretty happy with the trade for Brett Favre.

Jared Allen to the Vikings and Jason Peters to the Eagles were not too bad for the teams they went to either. So it does happen where they can work out but usually if a team is willing to trade a player it because something about them just isn't quite right.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I would say some trades have worked out...I would say the Packers were pretty happy with the trade for Brett Favre.

Jared Allen to the Vikings and Jason Peters to the Eagles were not too bad for the teams they went to either. So it does happen where they can work out but usually if a team is willing to trade a player it because something about them just isn't quite right.
True that but I was speaking of big trades giving up high round draft picks. Most the trades that are working out for the receiving team are for low round picks due to team just wanting the person or salary gone. i.e. Percy to the Jets, D Jax to the Skins etc.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that but I was speaking of big trades giving up high round draft picks. Most the trades that are working out for the receiving team are for low round picks due to team just wanting the person or salary gone. i.e. Percy to the Jets, D Jax to the Skins etc.

Pretty sure the Eagles gave up a 1st, 4th, and 6th round pick to get Peters.

the Vikings traded a 1st and 2 3rd round picks for Allen so I would say they both gave up high round draft picks.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the Eagles gave up a 1st, 4th, and 6th round pick to get Peters.

the Vikings traded a 1st and 2 3rd round picks for Allen so I would say they both gave up high round draft picks.

Dude - that was 2008 and 2009. My original reply said lately

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There never have been very many in season trades in the NFL, especially compared to the other sports that usually have a flurry of activity around the trading deadline.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude - that was 2008 and 2009. My original reply said lately

Ok sheesh I was just pointing out that some trades in the past have worked so to say that all trades for high picks won't work out is just flat out wrong. Yes there has been a bad run on them as of late but those trades really weren't that long ago...5-years...sheesh you act like I am talking something like 50 years ago.

Plus those kind of trades only happen maybe once a year so really if I am only going back 5 years then I am comparing pretty much the last 5 big trades made in the NFL. So far this year the biggest trade made compensation wise is that of the Patriots trading Mankins for a TE and 4th round pick.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There never have been very many in season trades in the NFL, especially compared to the other sports that usually have a flurry of activity around the trading deadline.

Yeah, the NFL is definitely the least trade happy, that's for sure.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Ok sheesh I was just pointing out that some trades in the past have worked so to say that all trades for high picks won't work out is just flat out wrong. Yes there has been a bad run on them as of late but those trades really weren't that long ago...5-years...sheesh you act like I am talking something like 50 years ago.

Plus those kind of trades only happen maybe once a year so really if I am only going back 5 years then I am comparing pretty much the last 5 big trades made in the NFL. So far this year the biggest trade made compensation wise is that of the Patriots trading Mankins for a TE and 4th round pick.
What we have here is a failure to communicate.
My bad - I just assumed you could read my mind.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we have here is a failure to communicate.
My bad - I just assumed you could read my mind.

Seems to happen on the internet from time to time.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are so many weird little hangups in regards to salary cap combined with the fact that it's such a team sport it's rare that one player is worth gutting a draft for. There's a number of variables that go into it but you're right about that.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to make those kinda of moves in season. The situation with Harvin worked for the Jets because they had excess cap room. Usually teams are pretty snug against the cap once the season starts. I doubt anything significant happens.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It just goes with the territory though. It's not like baseball. Playing QB isn't like playing 3rd base. Playing Safety for the GB Packers might not be anything like playing Safety for the Denver Broncos.

In season trades rarely work. By the end of training camp I'd say you're pretty much committed to your roster barring injuries or other weird stuff happening like wanting to kick your QB's ass.

There's too much to learn. All new terminology, different nuances to how teams flow on offense or defense. Getting on the same page with other offensive lineman for the calls. building a relationship with your QB as a WR. All sorts of things that take weeks to even get proficient at with a new team, let alone be hitting on all cylinders.

With that in mind, teams aren't going to trade their good players, they've spent too much time and building all those things up. Unless of course they make themselves expendable thru attitude, injury history, level of play on the field. And in that case, who's wanting to part with a draft pick for something on the downhill slide?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin to the jets not head scratchery enoug?