• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Antonio Brown tweets goodbye

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I had it backwards!
The only way they should even contemplate absorbing a massive dead hit is if there is a top 10-15 pick in the trade. And yes, the trade partner would definitely matter. If its SF, and since the feeling is mutual between AB & SF, then I'd demand that #2 pick. Or their 2nd Rd pick + Buckner. Whatever seems more inconceivable lol. Because fuck giving AB exactly what he wants.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way they should even contemplate absorbing a massive dead hit is if there is a top 10-15 pick in the trade. And yes, the trade partner would definitely matter. If its SF, and since the feeling is mutual between AB & SF, then I'd demand that #2 pick. Or their 2nd Rd pick + Buckner. Whatever seems more inconceivable lol. Because fuck giving AB exactly what he wants.
Totally agree

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just give him a one way ticket to Palookaville......

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
THat's what I thought! Doing anything with him before June 1st is an absolutely terrible idea. They will sit on him unless someone ponies up a king's ransom.

If you wait until after June 1st you're forfeit getting a player that could help you in the upcoming season AND you're gambling with what pick you're going to get next year.

The dead money is basically a non-issue except for the Rooney's pockets. Because you have to wait for after June 1st it means most of the free agents worth using that money on are going to be gone anyways. And because they weren't planning on life without AB in 2019 that money is already accounted for in terms of their planning and budgeting.

You're better off getting a pick that you know exactly where it's going to be and a player that can help you in 2019 since you're a try to win a SB now mode. That's worth way more than the money you save on the cap hit.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refuse the trade, especially for the reduced value he has now after his shenanigans.

Then go full disciplinarian on him. He toes out of line, holds out for anything, hit him with conduct detrimental, and suspend him.

Let him waste away, the league will pass him by.

He'll end up in Jail soon, anyway. He can't stay out of trouble anymore. Especially if he's stressing over not winning his offseason powerplay. And sue him for breach of contract and get some of his signing bonus money back.

Burn AB to the ground. Steelers need to reassert their status as a team not to be fucked with.

Would also reassert yourselves a place FA no longer want to go. I say do it!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you wait until after June 1st you're forfeit getting a player that could help you in the upcoming season AND you're gambling with what pick you're going to get next year.

The dead money is basically a non-issue except for the Rooney's pockets. Because you have to wait for after June 1st it means most of the free agents worth using that money on are going to be gone anyways. And because they weren't planning on life without AB in 2019 that money is already accounted for in terms of their planning and budgeting.

You're better off getting a pick that you know exactly where it's going to be and a player that can help you in 2019 since you're a try to win a SB now mode. That's worth way more than the money you save on the cap hit.
That dead hit is not a non-issue when it amounts against the team’s overall cap. Ben’s cap hit is $23m this year. So you’re telling me having another QB-level cap hit go against the cap is a non-issue?

They do have the space to absorb that hit, but telling me it’s a non-issue is absurd. Especially when they have so many holes to fill. Every dollar available can be used towards filling those holes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Tyler Boyd and John Ross. I think I can live with that if Brown wasn't so much like Chad Johnson.
AB wouldn’t want to live in Green’s shadow. The drama would escalate quickly.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AB wouldn’t want to live in Green’s shadow. The drama would escalate quickly.

I don't know how much shadow there would be with how great Brown is. But I get your point. Divas throw tantrums when they are not given the spotlight. Green is so humble and team oriented I am sure he would take a back seat on the field, but I can't see him taking a back seat financially. Regardless, AB is not going to Cincy no matter what. Pittsburgh would not do that, and with Taylor preaching contant communication, trust, team first. I doubt Brown fits that mold. We will see how Taylor cleans house and what he does.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much shadow there would be with how great Brown is. But I get your point. Divas throw tantrums when they are not given the spotlight. Green is so humble and team oriented I am sure he would take a back seat on the field, but I can't see him taking a back seat financially. Regardless, AB is not going to Cincy no matter what. Pittsburgh would not do that, and with Taylor preaching contant communication, trust, team first. I doubt Brown fits that mold. We will see how Taylor cleans house and what he does.
Not just that, but Dalton might still be the QB and he has a great rapport with Green. Brown would have trouble asserting his presence out the gate. But who knows.

If Cincy were going to be my trade partner, I’d be trying to steal Green or Boyd away for AB.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just that, but Dalton might still be the QB and he has a great rapport with Green. Brown would have trouble asserting his presence out the gate. But who knows.

If Cincy were going to be my trade partner, I’d be trying to steal Green or Boyd away for AB.

Yeah, see that is where things would be drawn, because both guys are so down to earth, friendly, all about the team that management wouldn't want to lose one of those guys for a malcontent.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THat's what I thought! Doing anything with him before June 1st is an absolutely terrible idea. They will sit on him unless someone ponies up a king's ransom.
Problem with waiting post June 1 is a lot of teams may have used up their cap space or got rid of draft picks they might have used..Take the best deal March 13 to 16th and be done with him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with waiting post June 1 is a lot of teams may have used up their cap space or got rid of draft picks they might have used..Take the best deal March 13 to 16th and be done with him.
True, it’s a gamble. Guess the Steelers will have to decide if they can field a playoff caliber team with that $20m cap hit being non-usable towards the final 53.

Almost assuredly they will falter next year, but that isn’t strictly because of that dead money, moreso from inept coaching, but people will still point to that dead hit as a hinderance nonetheless.

I’m good with either route they choose. I just think it would be hilarious to see how dramatic he would be if Pittsburgh chose not to try and trade him until after June 1st. He’d probably implode. It would be fun to watch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Steelers “agree to a trade in principal, designate it for June” type of scenario? Would be more difficult for the Steelers to be a player in FA when they have to be cap-compliant for the league year on March 17th, but workable given the league cap increase eating up half his dead money. And they already have a considerable amount of space.

Just a thought

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That dead hit is not a non-issue when it amounts against the team’s overall cap. Ben’s cap hit is $23m this year. So you’re telling me having another QB-level cap hit go against the cap is a non-issue?

They do have the space to absorb that hit, but telling me it’s a non-issue is absurd. Especially when they have so many holes to fill. Every dollar available can be used towards filling those holes.

But you would have to wait until after June 1st to use that money and by that time the only thing left in free agency would be scraps that would basically only be good for roster depth.

Whereas if for the sake of argument SF offers you #36 for AB than that player you're going to get at 36 could be far more impactful than what you would sign after June 1st. Not to mention you could flip that pick for even more picks to potentially fill even more holes with cheap and young talent.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you would have to wait until after June 1st to use that money and by that time the only thing left in free agency would be scraps that would basically only be good for roster depth.

Whereas if for the sake of argument SF offers you #36 for AB than that player you're going to get at 36 could be far more impactful than what you would sign after June 1st. Not to mention you could flip that pick for even more picks to potentially fill even more holes with cheap and young talent.
Good points. I would still be seeking nothing less than a 1st Rd pick. AB, antics aside, is still a top WR in the NFL and could very easily give his next team 3-4 more years of elite level of play. Although I wouldn’t bet on it

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would also reassert yourselves a place FA no longer want to go. I say do it!

FA go where the money is. Besides any player with a brain should be able to understand that since the Steeler paid up front for services they insist on receiving the services or receive fair compensation.