• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ant-Man 3: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opens tonight.

I am interested to hear spoiler-free reviews. Some early reviews have been negative, but those have come from the predictable sources, so they can’t really be trusted.

Ignore em. This movie is good. It's a popular trend now to shit on Marvel, lazy reviews movie revieews people spamming up score sites with negs and all sorts of other stuff. This one is pretty fun. It's the best Marvel film since Endgame. Majors kills it as Kang (really the whole cast is solid). The vibe is different from the first two Ant-Man movies though. Those films were more light hearted and comedic. There's some comedy this time around but its not like the other movies in tone. This is much more action oriented and stakes driven. It's actually more of a Kang movie than it is an Ant-Man movie.

I saw your other later comment about mysticism and the multi-verse and all of that, but if you don't like that stuff in the comics, then I don't see why you'd like it on screen. It's a good adaption of the cosmic type stories that first came around in 70s Marvel. If a person doesn't like that stuff to begin with, I don't see why they'd waste their time, but as far as your typical movie goes, its good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore em. This movie is good. It's a popular trend now to shit on Marvel, lazy reviews movie revieews people spamming up score sites with negs and all sorts of other stuff. This one is pretty fun. It's the best Marvel film since Endgame. Majors kills it as Kang (really the whole cast is solid). The vibe is different from the first two Ant-Man movies though. Those films were more light hearted and comedic. There's some comedy this time around but its not like the other movies in tone. This is much more action oriented and stakes driven. It's actually more of a Kang movie than it is an Ant-Man movie.

I saw your other later comment about mysticism and the multi-verse and all of that, but if you don't like that stuff in the comics, then I don't see why you'd like it on screen. It's a good adaption of the cosmic type stories that first came around in 70s Marvel. If a person doesn't like that stuff to begin with, I don't see why they'd waste their time, but as far as your typical movie goes, its good.
I knew when they introduced Dr Strange to the MCU that I was pretty much going to be left on the side of the road. I feel that magic and use of the multi-verse is just a lazy way to not lock yourself into a plot. If you have magic, then you can ignore any rules that you have set up for your “universe”. If you have a multiverse, then nothing you ever do will have consequences. Kill Ironman in one movie, just have an alternate Ironman take his place in the next.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew when they introduced Dr Strange to the MCU that I was pretty much going to be left on the side of the road. I feel that magic and use of the multi-verse is just a lazy way to not lock yourself into a plot. If you have magic, then you can ignore any rules that you have set up for your “universe”. If you have a multiverse, then nothing you ever do will have consequences. Kill Ironman in one movie, just have an alternate Ironman take his place in the next.

Then this next phase (or previous phase) aren't gonna be for you. I don't mean that in a dick way. If people don't like the cosmic type storylines, that's fine. I'm just saying much of the content Marvel has done and will do in Phase 4 and now in Phase 5 is largely coming from that block of the comic book storytelling. It might not be for some, but it was a popular grouping of stories when they were released so its understandable why MCU would choose them to adapt to film.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be the worst Marvel movie ever. Only DC movies can challenge it.
Thor L&T was pretty bad, but at least it had the 3rd act which was legit good. This movie didn’t really have a single redeeming quality. I even said out loud so it was heard, “I have holes”, before the goo-beast said it. Terribly telegraphed.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thor L&T was pretty bad, but at least it had the 3rd act which was legit good. This movie didn’t really have a single redeeming quality. I even said out loud so it was heard, “I have holes”, before the goo-beast said it. Terribly telegraphed.

personally I never like when its the heroes that create the problem...

it was a terrible waste of movie... but your I have holes complaint, I think only was a complaint because you weren't enjoying the movie... if the movie was even decent, then that joke would have worked....

but we knew this movie was going to be bad... during filming it was forgotten about because Marvel studio was so focused on Black panther 2... which I think was super over-rated too...

GOTG was fine... but the clear worst of the three GOTGs...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally I never like when its the heroes that create the problem...

it was a terrible waste of movie... but your I have holes complaint, I think only was a complaint because you weren't enjoying the movie... if the movie was even decent, then that joke would have worked....

but we knew this movie was going to be bad... during filming it was forgotten about because Marvel studio was so focused on Black panther 2... which I think was super over-rated too...

GOTG was fine... but the clear worst of the three GOTGs...
I agree about the fact that this problem was self inflicted. Why the fuck didn’t Janet tell them about Kang? They were in his realm, and she played coy the whole time. That is just lazy writing. It causes the audience to feel frustration with both the “hero” characters AND the writers of the movie. And when that happens, you have lost the audience.

And relatedly, they leaned on the “him” use WAY too much. Clearly, some weird attempt at trying to fool the audience. They already showed him in the opening scene, so we knew he was there. For the comic fans, they knew this was going to be Kang, so no point in hiding it. For the MCU fans, they already saw Loki, so they knew who he was. For the casual fans, Kang’s name wasn’t used in the opening scene, so using his name in the first half of the movie would not have spoiled anything. “Him” was so over used it was annoying, and there was no point to it from a story telling POV.

Wrong thread for GotG talk, but my initial thought is that this one was the best of the three. Good character introduction, good load spread between all the characters (and there were a fuck-ton of characters), and nice character development (particularly for Drax, but also for Nebula and Mantis).