• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Analyzing The Trades

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's another scenario. I'm in a 12-team H2H points league. I'm tired of Josh Hamilton, although I can see him start to kick things up. I put him on the block and a team just said to offer him something, he likes to deal. So I offered up Hamilton, Gio Gonzalez, and Fujikawa for Jay Bruce and Cole Hamels. I already have Jansen, Parnell, and Jim Johnson as my closers. I think Bruce picks it up more than Hamilton and I wanna be there when he does. Good idea on the offer?

I like this trade for you. Hamilton is a train wreck in the making, and Bruce, while streaky, should put up good numbers. I really like Gio but Hamels is a stud. Fujikawa will probably still end up being the Cubs closer, but with Marmol (gasp!) and Gregg, who knows? Plus, you can afford to let him go.

Note on Josh Hamilton: This guy's ego is so big, he makes Reggie Jackson look like Mother Teresa. No small feat.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you all think about this trade
I get:Johnny Cueto, 11 draft pick for 2014

He gets:Kyle Kendrick, Julio Teharan,10th draft pick for 2014

I sent him this trade being that I really like Cueto being that im a Reds fan and he is gonna be back in a few weeks, I consider this a steal.He already accepted the trade just wanted to know what you all think.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you did quite well Ryanbella.
More importantly, you got the guy you really like from the team you really like. You didn't overpay so it's a big win for you. You gotta have fun esp in these long term leagues.
I don't support overpaying because it can mess with integrity of leagues, but you did just fine.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had a trade go through, which is pretty rare for me. I got a guy to offer me Mariano Rivera for Todd Frazier. NOT a keeper situation. As I was able to tweak my roster within the trading period to make sure I would still have backups on roster at the 1B/3B/OF spots Frazier would cover, his loss should be negligable. However, getting a 3rd closer should put me well up in saves, and the help he should give to my whip & era made this a slam dunk for me IMO.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you did quite well Ryanbella.
More importantly, you got the guy you really like from the team you really like. You didn't overpay so it's a big win for you. You gotta have fun esp in these long term leagues.
I don't support overpaying because it can mess with integrity of leagues, but you did just fine.
Thank you man and im pretty satisfied with it.:yahoo:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but Cain is a stud pitcher

When is this going to happen? He is killing my team right now Do we have a Lincy 2?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but Cain is a stud pitcher

When is this going to happen? He is killing my team right now Do we have a Lincy 2?

IMO, no. At least not exactly, as Lincecum has had issue with his mechanics, and Cain has not. Sadly, in a lot of cases where a guy just seems to lose his stuff all at once, there is usually an injury, one that nobody is currently talkign about.

I hope not, as I have him on a team as well.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been really busy this week, but I need to weigh in on the big trade between me and Chef.

I offered this up pretty impulsively when Reverend Jim turned down an offer I made him. I was having second thoughts about the deal and actually went back online to take the offer down just a few minutes after posting it, but Chef was too fast. Oh well.

What I should have down was gotten a more established ace (Verlander or Price) instead of the shutdown risk Harvey, or I should have gone after a MI (Kinsler) instead of Headley for the package I offered up.

Even though I feel like I could have gotten more, I still like the pieces that I have returned. As for what I gave up:

Morrow- I have no faith in him right now. The slow start coupled with durability issues and a bad spring are not a good combo. I know he will turn things around at some point, but I drafted him as an every week starter and he has not been that.

Melky Cabrera- I really thought Melky would do well this year (he still might). Roids should not affect one's ability to hit line drives, but he seems to lack all confidence at the plate right now. He will get hot, but I think the final numbers will be more like .275, 10 HR 15 SB. Not exactly an asset in a mixed league OF, especially if they don't move him back near the top of the order.

Braun- Ouch. Stud. I don't think he is at any more risk for suspension than many of the elite hitters in baseball. Without a bad pee test, he will keep playing.

Now for what I got:

Matt Harvey- Has the makings of an elite pitcher. He may get shut down, he may not, but in this league, if you are too worried about what happens in the September playoffs, you won't be there.

Headley- I don't really understand all the hate here. Yes, 2012 was probably a career year. He will not hit 30 HRs this season. Still, he has the pedigree. 2012 looks more like a breakout than a complete fluke to me. What would you pay for a 3B who bats .280 and goes 20 20? I will take that all day. Looks like a top 50 value to me.

Starling Marte- Yes, he strikes out too much to keep his average over .300. However, he also has the rare combo of speed and power needed to support a high BABIP. This guy is a really tough out. He hits the ball hard when he makes contact, and he is always a threat to steal. I project him to hit 15 HRs and steal about 35 bases along with a playable average in the .270-.280 range.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had a trade go through, which is pretty rare for me. I got a guy to offer me Mariano Rivera for Todd Frazier. NOT a keeper situation. As I was able to tweak my roster within the trading period to make sure I would still have backups on roster at the 1B/3B/OF spots Frazier would cover, his loss should be negligable. However, getting a 3rd closer should put me well up in saves, and the help he should give to my whip & era made this a slam dunk for me IMO.

Rivera is one of those guys I've avoided for several years as I'm always waiting for the bottom to drop out, and every year he continues to exceed expectations.
If Frazier was expendable for you and you needed a third closer then you've got a good one, but like I stated above it's not a closer I would have chosen to go after. He is 43 and coming off an injury which would be a red flag for virtually any pitcher, but Rivera isn't any pitcher.

Putting my personal bias aside, I think you got a good deal.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera is one of those guys I've avoided for several years as I'm always waiting for the bottom to drop out, and every year he continues to exceed expectations.
If Frazier was expendable for you and you needed a third closer then you've got a good one, but like I stated above it's not a closer I would have chosen to go after. He is 43 and coming off an injury which would be a red flag for virtually any pitcher, but Rivera isn't any pitcher.

Putting my personal bias aside, I think you got a good deal.

Are you familiar with the GIF currently mnaking the rounds about Yu Darvish? The one that shows how he throws all his pitches from the same arm slot?

Well, it was something that I saw like this on Rivera that sold me on him this year. It was on MLB t.v, and I think Wild Thing Williams and Plesac were the commentators. They were showing several videos of him this year as compared to 2011 and a few years back, and showed how his cutter is moving more than pretty much ever.

SOLD!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiance - Yeah, I happened to be on my email page at the time of the offer and really didn't give myself time to think. That said, IMO it's a really even trade, and if Marte continues his current ways, you may have gotten the better deal. If it were Verlander or Price instead, I don't think I would've done it. Just wouldn't have had a need to.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cain and Lincecum are apples and oranges. So far this season, Cain has just had a little bad luck with the long ball lately. The only thing that scares me is the Giants lack of run support... again. For me, this was always the reason to stay away from Cain. Last year was a different story and his record showed. Not much different in the other numbers throughout his career. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a W against the Dodgers.

Hamilton almost looks like he doesn't care. Bruce's 5 week massacre is about to begin. Gio's control is an issue I'm glad I don't have to worry about. Hamels is elite. Nice deal Micro!

I'm a Reds fan too Ryanballa, I hope the triceps issue doesn't lead to elbow problems, but if he's healthy that's a good deal. Although Teheran is/was highly touted, I don't think his upside is as that of Cueto's. 10th and 11th round means nothing if you look at the big picture and Kendrick can't keep this up.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce's 5 week massacre is about to begin
I hope you're right, I'm banking on it.

Gio's control is an issue I'm glad I don't have to worry about.
He was a guy I targeted in all my leagues(only got him in one) because I thought he'd be sensational this year. Just hasne't happened yet. I like him, but like Hamels much more.

Nice deal Micro!
Thanks. I'm a mover and shaker in fantasy sports. I try and make my team better by offering up trades to most teams. A team that sits still and does nothing is a team that doesn't wanna win. :)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team that sits still and does nothing is a team that doesn't wanna win. :)

A team that does absolutely nothing is a loser, I agree. However, I do think that a winning team can pretty much be drafted, with only a mimimal amout of tweaking needed after that.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a trade last night in my 11 team 6X6 rotisserie league(extra stats are OBP and QS)... I traded lorenzo Cain and i got Ryu back... In this league we only have a 3 man bench, we start C,1B,2B,3B,SS,CI,MI,5OF,U and 7 Pitchers(no restrictions between SP and RP).

Who won the trade?? He had Ryu on the bench, i had Cain starting, but had Pagan on the bench, now i will just insert pagan into the lineup... I was not in need for a pitcher and now have 3 SP on my bench and no offensive players on my bench...

Was Ryu worth it?? In a 3 man bench league should we even worry about the bench??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a weekly lineup change league, so my plan is to have the best pitchers possible on my bench so i can put them in when they have 2 start weeks, and this allows me to always keep in 2 closers... Now my 10 pitchers are verlander, zimmermann, anibal,fernando rodney, janssen,estrada,lincecum,masterson,Ryu, and bauer.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Ryu than Cain. He is looking very good and you have a solid replacement, who is probably just as good of an option (for this season anyway).

Besides, in weekly leagues, I think it is a mistake to carry too many hitters on your bench. Good deal.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I deal Headley for Gallardo? Same league as earlier so I'd have same pitching staff. Headley is my U (Wright is 3B) I ave Bourn and Coco Crisp on my bench as they are hurt.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I deal Headley for Gallardo? Same league as earlier so I'd have same pitching staff. Headley is my U (Wright is 3B) I ave Bourn and Coco Crisp on my bench as they are hurt.

No way. Some of the guys on here aren't big Headley fans, but Gallardo is as over-rated as they come. This would not be a good deal.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. Some of the guys on here aren't big Headley fans, but Gallardo is as over-rated as they come. This would not be a good deal.

As a Gallardo fan, I am biased, so thank you for the advice.