• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Analyzing The Trades

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured it might be kinda cool to start a thread where we can post our fantasy trades and get some analysis/opinions on them. I'll start with the one Tiance and I just did in our league.

I get: Ryan Braun, Brandon Morrow, Melky Cabrera.

Tiance gets: Matt Harvey, Chase Headley, Starling Marte.

I'll be honest, i'm an impulsive guy. When I saw Braun, my head went :exploding:.

After settling down and looking at things, my take is this: Harvey is already a stud, my only concern is his innings limit. I've had concerns about Headley being a fluke, and still do, but even so, 20+ HR's is probably a given. His avg. remains to be seen. If Marte controls his free swinging ways, he can turn out to be a beast.

Braun is the reason I jumped on this trade. Morrow has a ton of potential but is looking pretty shaky right now. The jury is out on whether or not he regains his strikeout form and remains healthy. Melky...oh, Melky. A lot of people considered him a sleeper this year, but logic tells me it was all about the juice.

My take: In the long run, I think the biggest concern Tiance will have is whether or not Harvey will be shut down early. Mine will be whether or not Morrow returns to form and what to do with Melky.

Wild Card: Starling Marte

Opinions, anyone?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a keeper or non-keeper?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally like the Harvey/Headley/Marte side. If there's a pitcher out there that is ok to have a man-crush on, it's Matt Harvey. Dude is a flat out stud. I own him in 2 leagues and won't trade him at all. I've had one owner pestering me all season so far. And Marte is a free swinger, but is putting up solid numbers. If this is a keeper, they're going to pay big dividends. As for Melky, I stayed away in all my leagues bc my instincts told me he wouldn't be the same without the PEDs.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a non-keeper, but even so, those are all excellent points. Melky just might end up being waiver fodder for me. But oh, that Braun...:pray:

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melky...oh, Melky. A lot of people considered him a sleeper this year, but logic tells me it was all about the juice.

A guy who bounced from team to team, platoon to platoon, suddenly becomes MVP caliber the same season he gets busted for PED's? Yeah, pretty safe assumption.
Speaking of PED's..someday they'll catch teflon Bruan as well.

I think the deal is pretty even all around, but I would prefer to have Tlance's side of it, mostly because of Harvey, but at least %25 of Melky

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized after I made this thread I broke the Reverend's Cardinal Rule: always give details on the type of league you're in. I also didn't go in-depth on the trade such as where the players would fit in on each team, etc.

At this point, i'm just trying to stimulate some interest and conversation around here. :)

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty fair deal, I think. Braun is the best player in the deal and Tlance gets the more spread out value.

As for Fuzzy and I...?

I get Matt Cain and Chris Sale

Fuzzy gets Andrew McCutchen and Mike Minor

As I said, I wasn't happy when I drafted Cutch. Traded him in my money league last year about the same time (Arod, Cutch for Kershaw, Ichiro) and he went off (much like last night). Still, I figured I could get away with it, as to stop sniffing around for pitching matchups. Minor has been solid, but I'd still prefer the underachieving Sale, which is why I settled for Cain in the Cutch swap.

Fuzzy gets his much needed OF, and I get safety (hopefully) at SP.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty fair deal, I think. Braun is the best player in the deal and Tlance gets the more spread out value.

I like the Braun side as well. He may or may not juice but as long as he's not suspended and playing, and it's a one year league.....who cares.
Morrow worries me for injuries but overall I like him and think he'll settle down for the final 4 months when it counts. I'm not a Melky fan but considering I'm getting Braun and he's the 3rd player in the deal, I'd take the risk. But yea, there is a good chance he'll be waiver fodder by years end.
Harvey is doing great but most rookies eventually faulter and or slow down/die in the second half. And the Mets suck so he will get shut down (aka Stephen Strasburg). I fully believe Headley had a career year and he'll only live up to what he did the previous years. Marte may have long term value but for this year I don't see him being any more than league average at best.

As for Fuzzy and I...?
I get Matt Cain and Chris Sale & Fuzzy gets Andrew McCutchen and Mike Minor.

As for the other deal, I see it as Cain for McCutchen. Sale & Minor are both young and full of potential and will probably end up being a wash as far as this trade is concerned, I view them both as equal for this year. I prefer McCutchen over Cain as I usually favor the hitter in trades, but in this case the trade helps both teams and I think it was pretty even overall.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Braun side of the trade. Though one day he may be found using PEDS as Reverend Jim said, in a one year league it doesn't matter. While Harvey has been a stud so far, if the Mets shut him down he will be out come playoff time in fantasy. Ouch. Plus as a rookie he may not keep up his pace. I really like Morrow this season and I really like him, but I like Headley more. I like Marte a tad more than Cabrera. I like Braun so much though I would like the side that gets Braun.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by TKOSpikes
As for Fuzzy and I...?
I get Matt Cain and Chris Sale & Fuzzy gets Andrew McCutchen and Mike Minor.

I like Fuzzy side there as well.... It wasn't a secret that I got offered McCutchen and Minor in a package as well. While I think the 2 arms from my team may have been higher quality than Sale/Cain, I too think Minor is for real, (I'd say Sale's equivalent as well) so I was tempted. But alas, the evaluation time I needed made the point moot.

I do think the head's up from TKO that he had 2 offers out there and a decision needed to be made, was a pretty classy thing to do. In some cases, I've seen guys try to pressure you that way. When it's an honest warning; it's well appreciated.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go with the TKO side. Giving up McCutchen sucks, but Cain is a stud pitcher. Sale and Minor are pretty close, but i'll give the edge to Sale, even though he got knocked around a bit tonight.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get: Ryan Braun, Brandon Morrow, Melky Cabrera.

Tiance gets: Matt Harvey, Chase Headley, Starling Marte.

I call this Braun for Harvey more or less. Headley and Morrow are both wildcards...either one could exceed expectations, or could flop outright. Marte I am not as high on. I don't think it's too easy to succeed with a 20-25% K rate. AJax has been successful, slowly reducing his Ks, but I'm not sure Marte has the same pedigree so to speak. Marte > Melky certainly but I'm not doing jumping jacks :)

Braun is much better than Harvey imo. But damn, Harvey is doing everything to prove otherwise. I still take Braun.
Positionally, if Tiance needed a 3B, I call this a draw. With Chef having Trumbo to fall back on with Headley's departure, I give him the edge for best fit for team too.
So for me Chef's side I like better, but Harvey might just prove us all wrong if he keeps this up. (He is pretty awesome)

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question about 2 trades I was offered. I was offered Wainwright and Bautista for Headley and Justin Upton, and one of Kris Medlen and Joe Nathan. Should I accept either if any? My OF are: Justin Upton Coco Crisp Michael Bourn Markakis and Starling Marte. My SP are: Matt Cain RA Dickey Doug Fister Kuroda Niese J. Zimmerman and Jared Weaver. My RP are: Medlen Rodney and Nathan. Though Medlen is SP eligible. Also if I do this trade I wouldn't have anyone to play my U spot (It is a CBS 10 team h2h league btw) until Bourn comes back which is the middle of next week I am hoping. I was thinking to accept the Medlen trade if he has another bad start tomorrow. What are others thoughts?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really love Wainwright, but with Upton's incredible start ....and pedigree to back it up (just not at this pace) I can see you getting Wainwright plus a piece for him. That would mean Wainwright and Bautista for Headley and Upton would be the kind of deal I would try to secure. You've got the top piece, I'd try to market it. I certainly, in no way shape or form, do not add Medlen.
Dealing RPs is kind of my modus operandi, so I am thrilled if you take advantage of Nathan's great start and move him. I just don't think it's necessary for you to throw him in here. Headley might be a bum, but he's a bum who hit 30hrs last year, and it's not like he's performing poorly since he's back.

Somebody will pay top dollar for Upton. This would be a good offer if you didn't have to add a 3rd piece. I'd pass.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really love Wainwright, but with Upton's incredible start ....and pedigree to back it up (just not at this pace) I can see you getting Wainwright plus a piece for him. That would mean Wainwright and Bautista for Headley and Upton would be the kind of deal I would try to secure. You've got the top piece, I'd try to market it. I certainly, in no way shape or form, do not add Medlen.
Dealing RPs is kind of my modus operandi, so I am thrilled if you take advantage of Nathan's great start and move him. I just don't think it's necessary for you to throw him in here. Headley might be a bum, but he's a bum who hit 30hrs last year, and it's not like he's performing poorly since he's back.

Somebody will pay top dollar for Upton. This would be a good offer if you didn't have to add a 3rd piece. I'd pass.
Thank you for the response. I'm likely going to leave the trades offered to me and not reject them in-case on of the guys I'd give him hurts themselves. :yahoo:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wouldn't give up Upton. He had a awful year last year, but that seemed to just be a blip. He's back to his old form, and then some.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's another scenario. I'm in a 12-team H2H points league. I'm tired of Josh Hamilton, although I can see him start to kick things up. I put him on the block and a team just said to offer him something, he likes to deal. So I offered up Hamilton, Gio Gonzalez, and Fujikawa for Jay Bruce and Cole Hamels. I already have Jansen, Parnell, and Jim Johnson as my closers. I think Bruce picks it up more than Hamilton and I wanna be there when he does. Good idea on the offer?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he accepted. No turning back now. ;)