• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Analyzing Jack Z's trades

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Fister it was a "strike while the iron is hot" type of thing. He was pitching really well, the Mariners had a ton of pitching set to come up over the next few years and maybe they thought that, as good as he was before he was traded was as good as he was ever going to get, so they better trade him while he still had that much value. I don't know. I also don't know why they wouldn't trade Vargas at that time either. Maybe what I'm saying is a bunch of crap, but I'm just trying to look at it from their POV to figure out why they would make that trade at that time.

I can see your point, but if anyone in the front office were to ever say that shit, every Mariners fan has one quick response to put them in their place. "If there is so much pitching on the way, and you are a cheap ass organization, then why is just under a 1/3 of your payroll going to 1 starting pitcher"

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that I must apologize to blstoker.

This isn't espn. Everybody on here is a real baseball and M's fan from what I've seen.

M stands for misery for the past decade, but I think we're all seeing something interesting right now.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didnt like the Fister trade, i like the Morales trade so far, that is my opinion.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Morales trade alot. We have not had a hitter of his caliber in the middle of the order since Raul in 2008. Plus lets be honest Vargas=Saunders for the most part.

I think the Montero trade could be close to biting us as I hear Pineda is pitching well in AAA and should make his debut in the next week or two.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your point, but if anyone in the front office were to ever say that shit, every Mariners fan has one quick response to put them in their place. "If there is so much pitching on the way, and you are a cheap ass organization, then why is just under a 1/3 of your payroll going to 1 starting pitcher"

He's the face of the franchise and ace of the staff. He's the guy who, when you say Seattle Mariners, is the first name you mention. The M's may have a lot of pitching depth in the organization and a couple of them may even rise to staff ace level (if they were playing for a team that didn't have Felix, that is), but there's no guarantee that any of them are going to be for the franchise what Felix is for the Mariners in addition to being a great pitcher. Odds are much better that you'll find a better version of Doug Fister or Jason Vargas in that pitching depth than a better version of Felix Hernandez. Besides, the notion that the Mariners are a cheap ass organization is kinda ridiculous given their payroll. If they were really that cheap, they'd be down where the Marlins and Astros are in terms of payroll.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Morales trade alot. We have not had a hitter of his caliber in the middle of the order since Raul in 2008. Plus lets be honest Vargas=Saunders for the most part.

I think the Montero trade could be close to biting us as I hear Pineda is pitching well in AAA and should make his debut in the next week or two.

I agree, that Pineda trade could turn out to be his worst, we'll see....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, that Pineda trade could turn out to be his worst, we'll see....

Unfortunately like most of his trades at the time it was a good move.

I still don't think any of them could top the Fister trade. We went on about it for eons at CBS and I don't think it will ever go away.

With Jack's other trades you could have always made the case it was a good move at the time, i.e. Cliff Lee for a top 15 1B prospect, Pineda for a top 5 prospect, etc. But with the Fister trade it looked horrible from the beginning. None of the guys were highly rated that we received in return and we gave up a very good starting pitcher who is under team control until 2016.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just took a look and Pineda is not exactly pitching well in the minors so far...

He has 3 starts in AAA with a 5.02 ERA.

I don't know what kind of shape he's in now but I heard he was in terrible shape when he showed up with the Yankees.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not convinced Pineda is as good as everyone thinks. I have said this before, Pineda was good in the first half of the season when he was with the Mariners but didn't look all that good in the second half. Don't give up on Montero yet either.

Like 234 mentioned he has not looked great in AAA or AA this year for the Yanks. Pineda has potential to be a good pitcher but also potential to be a massive disappointment.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not convinced Pineda is as good as everyone thinks. I have said this before, Pineda was good in the first half of the season when he was with the Mariners but didn't look all that good in the second half. Don't give up on Montero yet either.

Like 234 mentioned he has not looked great in AAA or AA this year for the Yanks. Pineda has potential to be a good pitcher but also potential to be a massive disappointment.

If Montero hops back on the roids he could be a useful player.

One of the reasons I was in support of trading him was also because of his home/away splits:

Home: 2.92 ERA 12 GS
Away: 4.40 ERA 16 GS

Safe to say Safeco gave him a boost.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just took a look and Pineda is not exactly pitching well in the minors so far...

He has 3 starts in AAA with a 5.02 ERA.

I don't know what kind of shape he's in now but I heard he was in terrible shape when he showed up with the Yankees.

Plus shoulder injuries are always a big concern for pitchers. He had surgery last May for a labral tear in his shoulder that he suffered while rehabbing another shoulder issue. If he's still not in shape, that's only going to make it take longer for him to get back.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Montero hops back on the roids he could be a useful player.

One of the reasons I was in support of trading him was also because of his home/away splits:

Home: 2.92 ERA 12 GS
Away: 4.40 ERA 16 GS

Safe to say Safeco gave him a boost.

With those numbers I can only imagine what might happen to his numbers pitching in Yankee stadium.