• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alternate Draft Idea

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I was reading on the Bengals website, and yes, I know it is Hobspin and typical Bengal type of bull, but it did get me thinking...

I know these transitions never work out, they just never do as Bengal players, but I was thinking if we lost out on the good pass rushers off the edge, we could go a little different route defensively if that is where we have to draft at #9.

Move Shawn Williams to SAM backer, and draft Malik Hooker. Shawn Williams loves to hit guys, he is your typical in the box type of safety, so I can't see him being weak against the run unless he is not capable of shedding a single block. He also has okay speed and coverage ability to try and keep up with TE's and help try to cover them in open space.

Malik Hooker is a much much better safety prospect than Williams and that would/could possibly upgrade two areas on the defense immediately through the draft without having to reach for a pass rusher or drafting CB again, especially no one worthy at pick 9.

Plus, I do realize that transition to new positions like this rarely every works out for the Bengals, but normally it is us trying to make a DE into a LB (Alfred Williams / Donte Moch / David Pollack, etc.) I tend to think that Shawn Williams skill set and mentality on the field would lend better to him moving to SAM than most would. Kinda like Carolina did with Thomas Davis.

Thoughts? I mean it isn't like I am suggesting we take a backup of a backup at DE and try to turn him into a TE like Mike Brown had suggested that one year in training camp. I think it is a legit consideration.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be okay with them taking safety if they thought he was best available..... Particularly if he was an upgrade over Williams.

I'd not be okay with the idea that Williams is a full-time linebacker. Just don't see the transition working. Particularly not with our team.

That said, in today's NFL its not crazy to have a three safety nickel D with 3 safeties. That would basically mean that Williams was a hybrid safety/linebacker type for certain sets.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be okay with them taking safety if they thought he was best available..... Particularly if he was an upgrade over Williams.

I'd not be okay with the idea that Williams is a full-time linebacker. Just don't see the transition working. Particularly not with our team.

That said, in today's NFL its not crazy to have a three safety nickel D with 3 safeties. That would basically mean that Williams was a hybrid safety/linebacker type for certain sets.

That could work too I suppose as a hybrid. Would be extremely important against teams with quality TE's that seem to be the main target or second target on an offense.