• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cousins but I hope the 49ers don't trade the #2 pick for him.

Between him and Jimmy G, I'd rather have the NE backup. Cousins just has that look of a QB that puts up a ton of stats built upon the talent around him, but when you truly need to have the QB carry the team, he just isn't the guy. Just my opinion.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between him and Jimmy G, I'd rather have the NE backup. Cousins just has that look of a QB that puts up a ton of stats built upon the talent around him, but when you truly need to have the QB carry the team, he just isn't the guy. Just my opinion.

I would rather have Jimmy G too. He is a bigger unknown but has a much higher upside. Plus he is only 25 years old. Jimmy G could become a franchise QB where I don't think Cousins is.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Jimmy G too. He is a bigger unknown but has a much higher upside. Plus he is only 25 years old. Jimmy G could become a franchise QB where I don't think Cousins is.

Garoppolo would have a higher ceiling, but I wonder what the Patriots would want to acquire him. I would say it will probably take the #34 pick and a 2018 conditional pick, maybe a 3rd round pick turning into a 2nd round pick if he meets certain criterias. If that is the asking price, Niners should consider it. Patriots would figure the Niners will have another high pick next year so that could easily be the 2nd pick of round two.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo would have a higher ceiling, but I wonder what the Patriots would want to acquire him. I would say it will probably take the #34 pick and a 2018 conditional pick, maybe a 3rd round pick turning into a 2nd round pick if he meets certain criterias. If that is the asking price, Niners should consider it. Patriots would figure the Niners will have another high pick next year so that could easily be the 2nd pick of round two.

That is the question. Mortgaging the future would be a risk but if he could be acquired for a reasonable price then why not. I think he is at least as good as any of the prospects coming out of college this year

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the question. Mortgaging the future would be a risk but if he could be acquired for a reasonable price then why not. I think he is at least as good as any of the prospects coming out of college this year

The Niners received a 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd round pick which turned into a 2nd round pick because the Chiefs won at least 8 games in 2014. Niners got the 34th pick in 2013 and the 56th pick in 2014. The Patriots drafted Garoppolo in the 2nd round in 2014 so they would want at least a 2nd rounder and maybe a couple more draft picks. But I would not give them the #2 pick this year and another draft pick. That would be too much. I would draft Allen in the 1st round, a WR in the 2nd round and possibly Mahomes in the 3rd round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A writers opinion on if the 49ers traded for Cousins now:

49ers get: Kirk Cousins, 17th overall pick WSH gets: No. 2 overall pick, No. 34 overall, 2018 3rd rounder

Don't like this deal because Cousins isn't a 'franchise' QB. He certainly is a good QB, but not franchise. Others will view Cousins as 'franchise', and your opinion is fine.

Next, there is a BIG drop off from #2 to #17, still good players on the board but not as "sure" as at #2.

I know this means we go into 2017 with a 'stop gap', but i'd rather exhibit patience and use these 2017 picks. These are the #2 picks in each round, so we should get two good players. The 2018 3rd rounder will likely be in a good spot too.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A writers opinion on if the 49ers traded for Cousins now:

49ers get: Kirk Cousins, 17th overall pick WSH gets: No. 2 overall pick, No. 34 overall, 2018 3rd rounder

Don't like this deal because Cousins isn't a 'franchise' QB. He certainly is a good QB, but not franchise. Others will view Cousins as 'franchise', and your opinion is fine.

Next, there is a BIG drop off from #2 to #17, still good players on the board but not as "sure" as at #2.

I know this means we go into 2017 with a 'stop gap', but i'd rather exhibit patience and use these 2017 picks. These are the #2 picks in each round, so we should get two good players. The 2018 3rd rounder will likely be in a good spot too.

Cousins just got the Franchise Tag...doesn't mean it's off the table but it sure does change things.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cousins just got the Franchise Tag...doesn't mean it's off the table but it sure does change things.

Yeah, they can still swing a deal but it depends on what Cousins and Washington will settle for? If the reports are true of only signing with SF, then we have increased leverage on Washington. Just don't see Washington 'caving in', and even if they did, we'd still face the Contract demands of Cousins?

Highly doubt any deal happens, and fine by me.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not liking swapping first round picks and trading a 2nd round pick for Cousins, to me that is too much.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not liking swapping first round picks and trading a 2nd round pick for Cousins, to me that is too much.

Agree. That's too much. He got the franchise tag for the 2nd year in a row and is set to make 24 mil. If he and the Redskins can't come to an agreement, then he becomes a FA in 2018. Niners can try to sign him then, but I'm afraid he's going to want to be the highest paid QB without accomplishing anything except for stats. If he comes to the Niners, he has no weapons to surround him. No WRs or a reliable TE.

I would prefer Garoppolo if the Patriots are willing to trade him for the #34 pick and a conditional 2018 pick (3rd rounder). Or stay put and sign a veteran QB (Schaub or Hoyer) and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (Mahomes).

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That's too much. He got the franchise tag for the 2nd year in a row and is set to make 24 mil. If he and the Redskins can't come to an agreement, then he becomes a FA in 2018. Niners can try to sign him then, but I'm afraid he's going to want to be the highest paid QB without accomplishing anything except for stats. If he comes to the Niners, he has no weapons to surround him. No WRs or a reliable TE.

I would prefer Garoppolo if the Patriots are willing to trade him for the #34 pick and a conditional 2018 pick (3rd rounder). Or stay put and sign a veteran QB (Schaub or Hoyer) and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (Mahomes).
No need to make a play for Cousins. Spend money on rebuilding and not some hopeful QB who has no major history of being an elite talent.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to make a play for Cousins. Spend money on rebuilding and not some hopeful QB who has no major history of being an elite talent.

Good point Darken. Niners need to acquire talent through FA and the draft. Maybe get lucky with a QB just like Dallas did last year with Prescott.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the read Patterson. Even if he is a free agent next year, he would cost too much. He is not elite. He is a good QB not a great QB.
I totally agree. Snyder isn't going to get what he wants and he could end up with little down the road

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. Snyder isn't going to get what he wants and he could end up with little down the road

The same thing will happen to Garoppolo if the Patriots hang on to him. He will be a free agent next year or he will be franchised and that's going to be big money if Brady plays in 2018. He will be a backup making 18 mil. Yikes!! That's a lot of money for a backup. There will be several teams next year willing to sign him if he becomes a free agent.

Last edited: