• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All in for one.... or build a proper cast?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was replying to a post on another page when that question hit me....would the Flyers be best served going all in for Rick Nash or Suter? Or would they be better off keeping what they have and building around it?

Think about it. Of the UFA's the only two that really matter are Carle and Jagr. I know Carle is a lightning rod, but he also plays 20+ minutes a game, PK and PP and doesn't get hurt (or plays hurt and we never hear about it). Yes, he makes turnovers from time too time. So did Lidstrom, Howe, Orr....it is part of the game. You aren't going to get his level of play with a "home town discount" on the market without over paying....so why over pay. Jagr I bring back as long as it isn't for more than last season. The rest are gone.

I make sure that Voracek is back as well. So, no real subtractions. Now, Pronger is either the version of Lappy/Primeau/Rathje...or he might be back. Either way the Flyers need another real NHL defenseman who can play 20+ minutes and take the heat off Timmonen and Metz. They don't need the second coming of Bobby Orr....not that it wouldn't be nice....they need another Coburn/Carle/Grossman kinda player. That would give them six legit defenseman with Lilja as the 7th (which was the plan going into last season).

I move BOB ... as much for him as for the Flyers. Make a run at Wellwood (the brother, not the Flyer) and then...well, it could be interesting...or not...:fish2:

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
in my opinion i do think they need to get a legit number 1 game changing defenseman. coburn, mez, grossman, carle. these are all the type of number 2 defenseman that stanley cup caliber teams need. however, i think having a no questions asked number one defenseman really helps the team. a weber, chara, pronger, lidstrom type of guy really makes a world of difference. obviously those players don't grow on trees but i think the flyers need to find a way to acquire an established number 1 defenseman. a weber, a suter, etc. timonen is on his last legs, pronger is done or past his prime if he does come back. with such a great young team, they need a number one Dman to include in this core.

honestly, i think the flyers should go all out to get weber. dude's a stud.
in my opinion, i'd offer nashville as much as JVR, schenn, and 2 first rounders. highly skilled forward prospects are a dime a dozen. perennial norris trophy candidates are a bit harder to find and more essential to an overall winning team.

even without JVR and schenn you have giroux, voracek, simmonds, read, couts, wellwood..still a great young core of forwards. that's my opinion.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to go after Weber, but it all comes down to price for me. My F untouchables are G, Schenn, Couturier, Vorachek & Simmonds. These guys showed up every game they played in hurt or otherwise and that is what this teams needs to be built around. I also wouldn't give up 2 1st rounders(did no one learn from the pronger deal?). I could see if Weber doesn't want to sign in Nash putting something together for him along the line of JVR, Read, Bourdon and another prospect. The drafts the next 2 years are fairly deep and I'd prefer to use them to keep stocking the shelves and have these prospects in our system.

Seeing that Suter is a FA though I don't think we need to go crazy over RFA's yet. I just Homer stays away from the trap that is trading for Nash since the price tag wil be crazy high and the long term cap implications fuck us with an amnesty clause in the new cba.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any deal with Shenn is a huge mistake. The guy is going to be an absolute stud.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any deal with Shenn is a huge mistake. The guy is going to be an absolute stud.

You do realize if there is any chance in hell to get Weber, it would start by giving up Schenn and/or Couter, followed by a dman in return for Nashville even entertain the idea. I'm okay with giving up one of the two but not both. Nashville doesn't want an injured JVR. I hold onto the current roster we have and draft a dman. Sign a decent veteran dman July 1st or whatever. Trade JVR when his stock is back up again. Just my opinion. Injuries hurt us as usual. With some experience under the belt and Bryzy being a year in Philly, this team can make a run next season. Resign Carle.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd move a first, schenn, and jvr for weber. If that isn't enough, no deal. I'd hate to move schenn, but it's weber. IMO he's the best dman in the game.

Gotta keep in mind weber needs a new contract too though. He could get as much as 9 mil/year. That is why I'd only give up 1 draft pick. Gotta have young guys on EL contracts to win the cup.

Aside from weber, I don't go all in for anyone. Depth and balance wins cups, not superstars.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shenn is untouchable even for Weber.

Nashville is under the gun and cant ask for the moon for someone who can walk

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about it, do we really NEED to improve the D?

Kimmo will decline, yes.

But Meszaros will be back and healthy. We will have a full year of Grossmann. Coburn will likely continue to look great. And Gus should improve and be a capable #6.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need some help at D if we want to really go for it this year. I wouldn't trade for Nash at all - he's a definite upgrade, but there's no way we get a good deal for him. Our offense is cheap and good and young, so I don't see a real need to go all in on that end of the ice. Our defense isn't good enough to win a cup on its own, but I'm not convinced that we need to go nuts there either. Just get another Grossmann-type player and we'll be in a position to make another run. I would definitely lean towards a defenseman with our first pick, too. Timonen's not gonna be around too much longer, and dmen take a long time to develop.

I suppose that means build a proper cast.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need some help at D if we want to really go for it this year. I wouldn't trade for Nash at all - he's a definite upgrade, but there's no way we get a good deal for him. Our offense is cheap and good and young, so I don't see a real need to go all in on that end of the ice. Our defense isn't good enough to win a cup on its own, but I'm not convinced that we need to go nuts there either. Just get another Grossmann-type player and we'll be in a position to make another run. I would definitely lean towards a defenseman with our first pick, too. Timonen's not gonna be around too much longer, and dmen take a long time to develop.

I suppose that means build a proper cast.

Nash carries a huge cap hit for like 5 more years so i dont want him. We are supposed to have our own nash in JVR but we all know how thats going. I really like your idea of another grossman type player instead of Suter but i would go all out for a guy like weber.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about it, do we really NEED to improve the D?

Kimmo will decline, yes.

But Meszaros will be back and healthy. We will have a full year of Grossmann. Coburn will likely continue to look great. And Gus should improve and be a capable #6.

I was thinking about that while I was driving today. Which pair needs a serious upgrade? I'm perfectly ok with bourdon/gust playing with mesz as the 3rd pair.

I think all this talk comes from the fact that the flyers do have money, and since they do, defense is the place to upgrade.

Weber is the only guy id move pieces for. Aside from that I'd just try to sign garrison or wideman in addition to carle just to spend the money. I'd offer big money short term though. Even if it means we pay one of them 5+, the flyers can't have that contract last more than 2 years.

I also kinda want another 4th line shut down center. Free up coots and talbot to play as a sick two-way 3rd line with read or Simmonds.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about that while I was driving today. Which pair needs a serious upgrade? I'm perfectly ok with bourdon/gust playing with mesz as the 3rd pair.

I think all this talk comes from the fact that the flyers do have money, and since they do, defense is the place to upgrade.

Weber is the only guy id move pieces for. Aside from that I'd just try to sign garrison or wideman in addition to carle just to spend the money. I'd offer big money short term though. Even if it means we pay one of them 5+, the flyers can't have that contract last more than 2 years.

I also kinda want another 4th line shut down center. Free up coots and talbot to play as a sick two-way 3rd line with read or Simmonds.

Id like Garrison, or Jackman, or Hannan (WANT HANNAN LOTS), but do not want Wideman. Caps fans seem to say bad things, and his contract will be Carle-esque.

With Jagr now wanting to test FA, that leaves 1 forward spot open. I also would like a 4th line center, and the Suter of them appears to be Gaustad. He seems the best to fit the role.

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NHL :: UFA Finder

EDIT: Jackman resigned. Beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like Garrison, or Jackman, or Hannan (WANT HANNAN LOTS), but do not want Wideman. Caps fans seem to say bad things, and his contract will be Carle-esque.

With Jagr now wanting to test FA, that leaves 1 forward spot open. I also would like a 4th line center, and the Suter of them appears to be Gaustad. He seems the best to fit the role.

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NHL :: UFA Finder

EDIT: Jackman resigned. Beautiful.

I would take gaustad in a minute he plays Flyer style hockey

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
van Riemsdyk-Briere-Read
Couturier-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Gaustad-Wellwood

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take gaustad in a minute he plays Flyer style hockey

Shit. If we ended up with Gaustad, Sabres fans will riot. They hate us enough for getting Briere. Add Gaustad it's on in Buffalo. I'd love to have Gaustad for many reasons. Having to watch almost every Sabre game due to the market I'm in, it's all Sabre hockey. Gaustad provides toughness, big guy, great face-off guy as well, he can finish, and he hits. He can fight as well.