• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith's Future II

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want to put this in the since-died 12-page Alex Smith's Future thread, but here's an article about why we should expect improvement from Smith. Some are obvious, some are streeetched, and some make the article worth reading with some quotes I hadn't read about Alex. So if you have a few minutes and the board is slow take a look. There are some other articles I read afterwards, too. Not familiar with these guys, though I have heard their name mentioned. Sorry if there's some big reason to discredit them, but by and large, they are just offering opinions, anyway.

In a 2005 interview, Smith responded to a question about Ryan Leaf, saying:

“Here’s a guy who was given that opportunity, and look what he does with it. So it will always be in the back of my mind. … I kind of want to be associated with a blue-collar mentality — go to work, get it done, win games, no matter how — and not a (player) that lets the money get to his head.”

Part One
Part Two

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want to put this in the since-died 12-page Alex Smith's Future thread, but here's an article about why we should expect improvement from Smith. Some are obvious, some are streeetched, and some make the article worth reading with some quotes I hadn't read about Alex. So if you have a few minutes and the board is slow take a look. There are some other articles I read afterwards, too. Not familiar with these guys, though I have heard their name mentioned. Sorry if there's some big reason to discredit them, but by and large, they are just offering opinions, anyway.

Part One
Part Two

Good reads, Bro! Very encouraging about Alex Smith, I just hope the price is right.

I don't agree with the assesment that Meachem isn't a good pick up, though I did notice that he (the writer) was kind of on the fence with that thought. I also do like the concepts that he (the writer) came up with. I'll post some clips on his (the writer) three choices.

Laurent Robinson 2010 Regular and 2011 Preseason NFL Highlights - YouTube

Pierre Garcon 2011-12 Highlights [Focused] - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vKfgDcklg&feature=related

Martellus vs. LaTech - knocking helmet off - YouTube

I love garcon's intensity. I think that can translate into downfield blocking as well, as long as it's emphasized. He also brings pr ability.

I also love Martellus Bennett's size as a redzone threat. He could be that coveted 3rd te/red zone threat we all want so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reads, Bro! Very encouraging about Alex Smith, I just hope the price is right.

I don't agree with the assesment that Meachem isn't a good pick up, though I did notice that he (the writer) was kind of on the fence with that thought. I also do like the concepts that he (the writer) came up with. I'll post some clips on his (the writer) three choices.

Laurent Robinson 2010 Regular and 2011 Preseason NFL Highlights - YouTube

Pierre Garcon 2011-12 Highlights [Focused] - YouTube

Ray Lewis Big Hit on Pierre Garcon YouTube - YouTube

Martellus vs. LaTech - knocking helmet off - YouTube

I love garcon's intensity. I think that can translate into downfield blocking as well, as long as it's emphasized. He also brings pr ability.

I also love Martellus Bennett's size as a redzone threat. He could be that coveted 3rd te/red zone threat we all want so bad.

I don't agree either. Meachem is much bigger than Ginn and actually catches the ball. I also don't agree with some of his reasoning on not signing Vincent Jackson.
04. Vincent Jackson, San Diego
6-5, 230
16 games, 60 receptions, 1,106 yards, 18.4 avg, 9 TDs

Jackson would probably make the most since for the 49ers, given that he is big, strong, and fast (three qualities the 49ers haven’t had at WR since Terrell Owens). But something tells me that Jackson has more J.J. Stokes than Terrell Owens in him. Don’t get me wrong: I think Jackson could be an asset in the RZ (though he only had eleven RZ targets this season), and could also create the requisite space needed Crabtree to be effective. What’s more, the 49ers and Chargers’ offenses have quite a bit in common: both employ mostly two-receiver sets, both are predicated heavily on the run game (though the Chargers had far more passing attempts, a possible consequence of constantly playing from behind), which suggests that Jackson’s skill set would translate nicely. That said, Jackson isn’t technically the guy in San Diego—this distinction belongs to Antonio Gates. Technicalities aside, he never plays with any sort of consistency that one would expect from the guy, so expecting him to potentially fill that key role is foolhardy at best. It is feast or famine with Jackson, and the 49ers passing game has had enough famine.

Technically Vernon Davis is the guy here. So Jackson could assume the same role here as #2 in the pecking order.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So three of his 5 reasons that Alex Smith will continue to improve are that he's still not in his prime, he's a father, and that's he's got "swag"?

Pretty convincing article.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Interesting article. But lord God, doesn't that site have any proofreaders?? What's up with:
In what two skills did Smith vastly improvement?
I mean, some of the article has grammar & syntax comparable to the usual illiteracy of ESPN comments. I can understand some of us MB bonehead posters butchering the language, but I'd expect a higher standard from articles published in a website.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So three of his 5 reasons that Alex Smith will continue to improve are that he's still not in his prime, he's a father, and that's he's got "swag"?

i agree being a father isn't a big factor, and not reaching his prime may be technically true, but IMO he's close.

now swag IS a good reason for Alex, don't feel he has enough of it yet, or maybe i'm trying to say its not natural yet? but some swag beats no swag.

like you, don't see much more of what he showed this season? but playing close to what he did last year isn't so disastrous? from what we know so far, the other options are worse.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know. I didn't like the first two and he doesn't have enough of the third yet. They should have mentioned that he shaved his beard a few times and wore a blue collar shirt. Those must have propelled him. But there were bits and pieces I liked so I posted it. Without reading more articles from these guys, I wouldn't put them beyond Bleacher Report. Just something to read in the offseason I thought.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Smith and the offense in general will improve just by having a full offseason and the second year in the same system.

Also it's likely Baalke will address the WR position via the draft or FA so he likely have better weapons at his disposal.

The biggest question isn't if he'll improve next season but what his ceiling is. He had a good year this past season but he still left too many plays on the field and needs to start hitting on more bigger plays if we really want to turn the corner.

And granted I'll give him some benefit of the doubt as his weapons did let him down fairly often and really did very little to help him but there will still some plays that were on him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know. I didn't like the first two and he doesn't have enough of the third yet. They should have mentioned that he shaved his beard a few times and wore a blue collar shirt. Those must have propelled him. But there were bits and pieces I liked so I posted it. Without reading more articles from these guys, I wouldn't put them beyond Bleacher Report. Just something to read in the offseason I thought.

actually good stuff regardless of each persons opinion, cause the writer did cite what appears to be good references. its better than a typical 'rag' who's purely opinionating.

two solid reasons are the offense suits him and his chemistry with Harbaugh. when people are in sync, the sooner good things happen. with these two factors firmly in place, how can he not repeat?

granted we're all pushing him now to throw receivers open, to let it fly into tighter windows. we'll just have to take the good with the bad.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith and the offense in general will improve just by having a full offseason and the second year in the same system.

Also it's likely Baalke will address the WR position via the draft or FA so he likely have better weapons at his disposal.

The biggest question isn't if he'll improve next season but what his ceiling is. He had a good year this past season but he still left too many plays on the field and needs to start hitting on more bigger plays if we really want to turn the corner.

And granted I'll give him some benefit of the doubt as his weapons did let him down fairly often and really did very little to help him but there will still some plays that were on him.

yes!

IMO his ceiling isn't much higher BUT, won't prevent us from challenging in the NFC. agree, his stat line should improve with continuity and better players on offense, but his intangibles are his intangibles.