• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CSN Bay Area believes the 49ers may trade Alex Smith in the offseason.

Smith's $7.5 million 2013 salary becomes fully guaranteed if he remains on the roster through April 1, so the 49ers will have a big-time incentive to move him if Colin Kaepernick entrenches himself as the quarterback of the future down the stretch. Smith's salary would be prohibitive for a backup, but quite reasonable for a starter, so it's likely he'd draw strong interest in an offseason where as many as 10 teams could be looking for quarterback help. The odds are against Smith's star-crossed 49ers career lasting another season.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers lost trade value the minute they chose Kaep over Smith with a 6-2 record before being replace... Being the starting QB through 2012 would have gotten them higher trade value.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers lost trade value the minute they chose Kaep over Smith with a 6-2 record before being replace... Being the starting QB through 2012 would have gotten them higher trade value.

Agreed. Teams will know the Niners want to avoid that roster bonus. I think he fetches a 4th rounder. I'd be very happy with a 3rd.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. Smith is at his statistical peak - not saying he will get worse but he sure as hell is not going to get any better. Smith is what Smith is and his value will be in 90 days what it is now - that of a back-up.

Plus every GM in the league knows he will be cut - so there you go.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Smith is at his statistical peak - not saying he will get worse but he sure as hell is not going to get any better. Smith is what Smith is and his value will be in 90 days what it is now - that of a back-up.

Plus every GM in the league knows he will be cut - so there you go.

A team like the Jets, Cardinals, or Jags might a possibility. The Jets and Cardinals have strong Defenses and might be able to take our approach to winning with a strong Defense and doing just enough on Offense to win.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team like the Jets, Cardinals, or Jags might a possibility. The Jets and Cardinals have strong Defenses and might be able to take our approach to winning with a strong Defense and doing just enough on Offense to win.

I don't us trading him to the Cardinals since its same diviiosn. I dont see the Jags either, or well if they do does that mean they given up on Gabbert? I could see the Jets maybe but that means they are stuck with Sanchez's $8 million contract and Alex's $7 million

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't us trading him to the Cardinals since its same division. I dont see the Jags either, or well if they do does that mean they given up on Gabbert? I could see the Jets maybe but that means they are stuck with Sanchez's $8 million contract and Alex's $7 million

There were reports that Tebow was cleared to play on Sunday, but Rex made him inactive for the game. How dumb was it to trade away some picks for a player they didn't want and then because of that trade feel like they had to re-up Sanchez's contract? I mean, isn't there anything called playing hard because you were paid to do it and want to be paid in the future? What was the point of giving him more? Isn't there a "you play in the NFL, you're going to have a backup there waiting to replace you. Ask Alex Smith."

I did read how it wasn't as big as it sounded and that they did it in a smart way, but in the event it didn't work out, more is more. If they can just cut him now without big consequence, the reup is nothing and therefore another 7-8 million QB would be an option. But if they can't, depending on the specifics, it seemed like they are stuck or were stuck with him if they can't trade him. They could have not extended and extend if he did better. I guess they knew they weren't like Baalke and Co., where Baalke couldn't be pressured if he were in their shoes and Sanchez played ok.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the switch or rather Kaep's play affected tradeability, not value. What his value was didn't change, but whether we could get anything for him might have (people now know that we'll cut him). The only reason to go after a player who is going to be cut, is to prevent other teams from being able to lure him in free agency or to get rid of some other contract with it. But we all know that Smith's not getting more than he got here, right? Therefore, I don't see teams trading to avoid a bidding war.

Kaep playing well in relief was what made the cut "obvious". The decision to stick with Kaep plus the fact that Kaep was Harbaugh's pick made it a foregone conclusion. It didn't make Smith less valuable on the market. We could play the "Smith is a great backup and the combination of Kaep and Smith's salary is ok" angle, but I think teams know we'll cut him, with people like Goldson up for consideration.

I think if Alex hadn't gotten the concussion and we didn't see what Kaep was like, we would have stuck with Alex throughout the playoffs, the chances of us wanting to keep him would be higher than it appears after this switch. Had we stuck with him and won some, throw in some more elite talk from Harbaugh (jk), we could play the "maybe we want him, what will you offer" bit a little, but now, it's gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CSN Bay Area believes the 49ers may trade Alex Smith in the offseason.

Smith's $7.5 million 2013 salary becomes fully guaranteed if he remains on the roster through April 1, so the 49ers will have a big-time incentive to move him if Colin Kaepernick entrenches himself as the quarterback of the future down the stretch. Smith's salary would be prohibitive for a backup, but quite reasonable for a starter, so it's likely he'd draw strong interest in an offseason where as many as 10 teams could be looking for quarterback help. The odds are against Smith's star-crossed 49ers career lasting another season.

I don't think SMith has any trade value. Teams now know that Smith is not in the 49ers plans and they know that for certain the 49ers will not pay Smith the 8 Mil salary. The other teams will just wait til the 49ers cut Smith and get him for free.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teams will wait for us to cut him, then he gets signed wherever.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think SMith has any trade value. Teams now know that Smith is not in the 49ers plans and they know that for certain the 49ers will not pay Smith the 8 Mil salary. The other teams will just wait til the 49ers cut Smith and get him for free.

Of course by not trading for him other teams interested in Smith will risk having to pay him more and the possibility of not getting him at all.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this is assuming Alex wont be playing QB for SF next year. Seems like a big jump especially when you look at how average CK has been the last 2 games. 2 more like them and the Niners may be right back to Smith. If Kaep plays well then I think you can trade Smith but you arent going to get shit for him, maybe a 6th rounder. When teams know the deal and know they can just wait it out they really have no incentive to trade for him unless they can get him super cheap.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this is assuming Alex wont be playing QB for SF next year. Seems like a big jump especially when you look at how average CK has been the last 2 games. 2 more like them and the Niners may be right back to Smith. If Kaep plays well then I think you can trade Smith but you arent going to get shit for him, maybe a 6th rounder. When teams know the deal and know they can just wait it out they really have no incentive to trade for him unless they can get him super cheap.

Careful. Common sense and logic are not allowed on this topic here.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad....

HA ha! See that you don't make that mistake again. Criticism of Kaepernick is not allowed here and will be quickly shouted down.