• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex smith:Not interested in a new contract during season

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith isn’t interested in a new contract during the season | ProFootballTalk

For several key NFL players, 2011 represents the final year of their current contracts. While that reality has caused some to complain publicly (e.g., Matt Forte) or to engage in bizarre behavior privately (e.g., Peyton Hillis and DeSean Jackson), 49ers quarterback Alex Smith doesn’t seem to care about whether and to what extent negotiations will occur.

“It’s nothing I’ve talked about or even really thought about,” Smith said Wednesday, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “It’s so early. I’m focused on playing football. It’s not something I want to think about in the middle of the season, to be honest with you.”

So is Smith willing to wait to address his contract after the season ends? “I think so,” Smith said. “I do. It’s something the guys upstairs — Trent [Baalke] and Coach Harbaugh — it’s something we can deal with later.”

Smith signed a one-year, $4.9 million contract before the season started. His value on the open market isn’t known, but if he plays well into January, as 20 teams and counting are watching the postseason on television, one or more owners or General Managers undoubtedly will decide to pursue him with an offer much richer than the one he received from the Niners after the lockout ended.

In the end, Smith’s best bet likely will be to stay put in San Francisco. The first overall pick in the 2005 draft hasn’t had a coach like Harbaugh, and there’s no guarantee that any other coach can set Smith up to succeed the way he has in 2011.

Still, Smith is bearing the risk of injury by not clamoring for a new deal. If he tears an ACL or suffers a serious shoulder injury, for example, his value for 2011 will plummet.

If you are the GM of the 49ers do you re-sign Alex smith after the season or let him walk??

my opinion is that he has played good enough to earn a 3 year deal worth around 5 million a year.The only thing that worries me is that he will go back to the old alex smith!!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are the GM of the 49ers do you re-sign Alex smith after the season or let him walk??

my opinion is that he has played good enough to earn a 3 year deal worth around 5 million a year.The only thing that worries me is that he will go back to the old alex smith!!

He might regress but it won't be because of having a contract and it most likely won't be the same old Alex Smith. It's less likely with Harbaugh as coach. He could stop progressing or regress due to age or injury later.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He might regress but it won't be because of having a contract and it most likely won't be the same old Alex Smith. It's less likely with Harbaugh as coach. He could stop progressing or regress due to age or injury later.

I still worry about him getting rattled and regressing but so far he hasn;t this year. It seems the game has slowed down for him a little whereas before he couldn't make decisions fast enough.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
$5M per year is too little. I don't want to see him get double that, like Fitzpatrick did, but he's making 5M this year based on his play over the last year or two. If he was worth $5M based on last year, he's gotta be worth 7.5 for his play this year.

But I feel like fans in general underestimate value for players. There was discussion a few weeks ago about an extension for Carlos Rogers and people were saying something in the 4-5M range, which would be about half of what guys like Jonathon Joseph and Dunta Robinson etc got. Maybe he's not quite worth what Joseph got, but he's worth more than half of it.

Anyway, don't want to change the focus of the thread to Rogers.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@IMAC, totally agree with your assessment on value or UNDERvalue. I'm hoping that Alex Smith continues to play well, earns a 3yr deal to stay with the club, as we continue to develop Kap (Yes, I think it will take Kap that long to grasp the position...he is quite the project) as the heir apparent, barring some sort of tremendous draft stock drop into our laps by a "franchise QB". Smith has played consistently well all season, making the right decisions, protecting the ball, methodically moving downfield, and has avoiding turnovers. At 27 yrs old, he is potentially a wanted commodity. Seattle? Arizona? Washington? Miami? KC (depending on Cassel's injury)? Denver? Minnesota? I may be missing a couple potential suitors, but two of these teams are in our division and would love to weaken us as they upgrade. With the Colts well in the lead for the "Suck For Luck" campaign, there aren't enough "franchise QBs" in the draft for all the teams with shitty QBs, so a 27 yr old game manager could be a solid "long-term stopgap" for a team in desperate need of a QB upgrade. I wonder what numbers they would throw around this off-season....could Smith see himself in the Fitzpatrick range price wise?

Last edited by a moderator:

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would want us to give him a $6-8 million a year contract. But put in some bonuses such as throwing 25+ TD's a year, getting, to the play offs, getting to super bowl, pro bowl etc.

So if he plays like he deserves big money then he gets big money but if he plays sub par then he doesn't get all those bonuses if he doesn't earn them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would want us to give him a $6-8 million a year contract. But put in some bonuses such as throwing 25+ TD's a year, getting, to the play offs, getting to super bowl, pro bowl etc.

So if he plays like he deserves big money then he gets big money but if he plays sub par then he doesn't get all those bonuses if he doesn't earn them.

I agree in general and as a general practice you shouldn't deviate no matter the player, but for Alex, I think he's a hard enough worker that what you get is what you're going to get regardless of stat incentives. So, yeah, still have incentives because it's smarter but I don't think we specifically have to worry about Alex. Someone mentioned the disincentives of incentives for QBs given their ability to audible to a pass to pad their stats for incentives. Fr a RB, he can't manipulate it. We want to win whether it's 25 TDs or 10, pro-bowl or not (though probowl coincides with winning more than yard or TD totals). So I would incentivize wins not because it's motivational, as I believe winning (when aside from stats) is wanted by all to the maximum, but rather because it's a fair return for a good product. Saves you money if he fails, regardless of motivation.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why the heck would smith agree to bonuses for 25+ td's a year when the offense isn't geared towards the passing game? power running is the focus of the offense

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what they're trying to do here. Trying to say Smith is such a good guy and a team player that he won't let being a free agent destroy the 49ers like how DeSean Jackson's contract dispute is destroying the Eagles.

That's all well and good, except, Smith already has been paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million dollars by the 49ers. Of course he doesn't really care too much about his contract, he's already in really excellent shape financially. He knows it will take care of itself, and if the 49ers won't pay him... someone else certainly will. He sure isn't worried about the 49ers slapping the franchise tag on him like the Eagles will likely do to DeSean.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what they're trying to do here. Trying to say Smith is such a good guy and a team player that he won't let being a free agent destroy the 49ers like how DeSean Jackson's contract dispute is destroying the Eagles.

That's all well and good, except, Smith already has been paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million dollars by the 49ers. Of course he doesn't really care too much about his contract, he's already in really excellent shape financially. He knows it will take care of itself, and if the 49ers won't pay him... someone else certainly will. He sure isn't worried about the 49ers slapping the franchise tag on him like the Eagles will likely do to DeSean.

True, but i still think he would love to keep turning things around here in San Fran. Would he really have this much success without Harbaugh? Who knows?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but i still think he would love to keep turning things around here in San Fran. Would he really have this much success without Harbaugh? Who knows?

I don't see Smith going anywhere until Harbaugh doesn't want him around anymore. Smith is a smart guy, he probably knows that he needs this type of situation to succeed... and now that he finally has it, I can't see him thinking that he is the difference in the 49ers from last year to this year... and deciding that he could turn, say the Dolphins around.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Smith going anywhere until Harbaugh doesn't want him around anymore. Smith is a smart guy, he probably knows that he needs this type of situation to succeed... and now that he finally has it, I can't see him thinking that he is the difference in the 49ers from last year to this year... and deciding that he could turn, say the Dolphins around.

I disagree. I think Smith would play well on any well coached team. I think we've been so used to losing the last decade people think we've created some special formula specifically for Alex to win ball games. The only thing we've done is play smart, well coached football. Alex has benifitted from this but so has every other player on the team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we see eye to eye on this but just to clarify. I think there were a lot of people that said Alex should go to another team this year for separation and to be a great backup to an established QB (which I 100% disagreed with despite not knowing he'd do this well here). Then there were some, albeit few, people who pointed out the franchises without QBs and said he could go compete for a starting job there. That didn't seem likely based upon his play here and the fact I don't think he'd want to compete somewhere else if he could compete here knowing the players. Yes, there was baggage, but did we not know Alex was a tough SOB?

So this sounds like the middle ground for me. True, he is loyal to the Niners and maybe would have accepted a backup job here before this season if he had a chance. Now that he's done relatively well, I think his loyalty will bring a home town discount. However, I do think he'll want (at least a chance) to start here or compete elsewhere. I don't think that would have been a viable option without a good start this year. His confidence has grown not to a jackass but to at least demand a competition. Having said that, when would Harbaugh deny a competition, especially for a guy who has done well here? Unlike Nolan, I'd think it'd be a fair competition.

I do, however, slightly disagree with stating that he needs this team, or specifically this type of situation, to succeed. I don't think he can go to a bad team, like you said, but a well coached team, like SRPnVA said, I think would be enough. Wasn't sure if "this type of situation" was speaking to a great running team, great defense, etc. or just a good coach that trusted him and knew his stuff (obviously with some talent, too)? I think he has a higher ceiling than needing everything to be like it is now, but agree that Miami isn't of interest to him if he can be here, even in a competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why the heck would smith agree to bonuses for 25+ td's a year when the offense isn't geared towards the passing game? power running is the focus of the offense

Since you're making sound as if the QB position is second-fiddle in this offense, why even resign Alex Smith in the first place?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPRnVA, I agree with that, and that is what I meant by 'this type of situation'. Smith could succeed on any team with good coaches who know how to use their players to the best of their ability. For instance he'd do well in New England, Pittsburgh, New Orleans.. etc.. I was just saying that now that he finally has that type of situation here, I can't see him leaving for a place like Miami (or any team desperate for a QB) which seems to be where the 49ers were under Nolan and Singletary.

MHS-- Yeah, I remember the talk about how he should have gone to Indianapolis and sat behind Peyton for a few years and then take over... that plan would have backfired if he actually did that. While it makes sense, I think that was truer when he was a rookie... Smith needed time to adjust to the NFL, I don't think he needs that year in a system to be successful now because he has a lot of experience with the types of offenses that most teams run. The "numbers" system of Norv Turner and others run, and the "WCO" that almost everyone else uses.

I don't think Harbaugh intends to just give Smith the job if he comes back next year, I think he intends to make him earn it over Kaepernick or Tolzien again. I think Harbaugh and his staff actually mean it when they say competition for spots are always open and we've seen that in the secondary and with Snyder taking over at RG. Like you said though, unlike Nolan who pretty much did the competitions for show... and Singletary who just promoted guys like Mays and Rachal into the starting lineup because he liked their physical attributes instead of their ability. These guys actually mean it when they say the best players will start for the betterment of the team.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had an alright season. Those overthrows and his inability to hit his wr's in stride on a consistent basis scares me. With Josh Johnson becoming a free agent this offseason I think Alex will have to pretty much win the Superbowl to get resigned to a major extension.
:finger:

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPRnVA, I agree with that, and that is what I meant by 'this type of situation'. Smith could succeed on any team with good coaches who know how to use their players to the best of their ability. For instance he'd do well in New England, Pittsburgh, New Orleans.. etc.. I was just saying that now that he finally has that type of situation here, I can't see him leaving for a place like Miami (or any team desperate for a QB) which seems to be where the 49ers were under Nolan and Singletary.

Sorry about that. I assumed you meant this is really the only situation he could have success in. Yeah, I agree Alex isn't a guy like Drew Brees that can come in, turn a franchise around, and be the center of an offense. Maybe in two or three more years and some playoff success we will have a different opinion. I would also find it hard to believe Alex would leave after his first winning season and go to a losing team like the dolphins. I would seriously question his decision making.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel like Harbaugh is getting a little too much credit. Yes he does deserve a ton of it... but he's not so much turning Alex Smith into a better QB, rather he's using him in a better, more efficient way. Much better playcalling, and we have the best starting field position in the NFL, which always helps a QB.

And I don't really about him getting rattled and regressing. He's been in the league for a while now. Even with all the coaching changes, a lot of information has sunk in by now and he is finally playing with some confidence. You can say what you want about his skills at the position, but you can't say he isn't mentally tough. So I don't really worry about him regressing, as much as maybe he will try and do too much and try to play above himself. But then again... I would kind of like to see that too. (not forcing things, but to just say fuck it and go for it)

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Harbaugh is getting a little too much credit. Yes he does deserve a ton of it... but he's not so much turning Alex Smith into a better QB, rather he's using him in a better, more efficient way. Much better playcalling, and we have the best starting field position in the NFL, which always helps a QB.

And I don't really about him getting rattled and regressing. He's been in the league for a while now. Even with all the coaching changes, a lot of information has sunk in by now and he is finally playing with some confidence. You can say what you want about his skills at the position, but you can't say he isn't mentally tough. So I don't really worry about him regressing, as much as maybe he will try and do too much and try to play above himself. But then again... I would kind of like to see that too. (not forcing things, but to just say fuck it and go for it)

Well said, he is one tough SOB. You can just see it in his demeanor on the field and off the field. And as the season goes on i believe Alex will go for it some more unless the game doesnt call for it that is.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree. I think Smith would play well on any well coached team. I think we've been so used to losing the last decade people think we've created some special formula specifically for Alex to win ball games. The only thing we've done is play smart, well coached football. Alex has benifitted from this but so has every other player on the team.

The past six years make me doubt that he could succeed the way he has this year on many other teams, particularly the teams that would want a QB of his caliber to start for them but I could be wrong.