• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex smith:Not interested in a new contract during season

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like Harbaugh is getting a little too much credit. Yes he does deserve a ton of it... but he's not so much turning Alex Smith into a better QB, rather he's using him in a better, more efficient way. Much better playcalling, and we have the best starting field position in the NFL, which always helps a QB.

And I don't really about him getting rattled and regressing. He's been in the league for a while now. Even with all the coaching changes, a lot of information has sunk in by now and he is finally playing with some confidence. You can say what you want about his skills at the position, but you can't say he isn't mentally tough. So I don't really worry about him regressing, as much as maybe he will try and do too much and try to play above himself. But then again... I would kind of like to see that too. (not forcing things, but to just say fuck it and go for it)

In the past he didn't strike me as a player who was good at making quick decisions. I have heard that it could have been a problem with him being smart but indecisive. I think confidence and Harbaugh's play calling has helped him slow the game down a bit and I hope it sticks.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you're making sound as if the QB position is second-fiddle in this offense, why even resign Alex Smith in the first place?

passing is second fiddle in harbaugh's offense. i think he'd be happy grinding it out all day in the running game.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
passing is second fiddle in harbaugh's offense. i think he'd be happy grinding it out all day in the running game.

Let's assume you're right, and that the QB position takes a backseat to running the football to Jim.

Why resign Alex Smith? If 25 TD passes is so far-fetched in the offense, why give him a 3 year deal? Shouldn't we be fine with Kaepernick?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's assume you're right, and that the QB position takes a backseat to running the football to Jim.

Why resign Alex Smith? If 25 TD passes is so far-fetched in the offense, why give him a 3 year deal? Shouldn't we be fine with Kaepernick?

depends...do u think 25 ints is fine?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, are we operating under the assumption that Kap will throw for 25 INTs if he's starting? And if so, why?

young qb's tend to make mistakes as they learn the position...

it's one thing to not want smith, but in that case we damn well need a qb that is capable of starting. u wanna take a nosedive like seattle did?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
young qb's tend to make mistakes as they learn the position...

it's one thing to not want smith, but in that case we damn well need a qb that is capable of starting. u wanna take a nosedive like seattle did?

He'll make mistakes I'm sure, but how many? Alex Smith threw 16 INTs his second year in the league, why are you assuming that Kap will throw 9 more?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why take steps back when we're having our best season since we had a hall of fame qb? smith may not be the perfect qb, but i don't want to waste seasons waiting for a qb who may never pan out. especially when we're a couple moves from having a truly elite defense.

it is maybe the most idiotic thing i have ever seen. if we don't resign smith and can't make a trade for manning, what is left? orton? garrard? shaun hill? if kap can outplay a marginal starter then i'd be fine with him, but i don't see it happening.