• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith leads the league

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Hunter or even Miller in the pass catching role better than Gore. Hunter is faster, quicker and better in space and Miller has shown he has the ability to catch and get up field. At this stage in his career, I like the idea of preserving Gore for rushing. What do you think?

This is a good observation... that's what I think!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!...Too-Shay...you got me!

I can't believe I'm about to write this but I hope to see more of those. Staley's 1st down demonstration was awesome!! Right now our lineman are averaging 17.5 yards a reception - I say put 'em outside the numbers!

I luv to see a play where the team's opposing NT or DT trying to cover Ice on the flats!!!!!!!!!! let it happen!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!...Too-Shay...you got me!

I can't believe I'm about to write this but I hope to see more of those. Staley's 1st down demonstration was awesome!! Right now our lineman are averaging 17.5 yards a reception - I say put 'em outside the numbers!

I hope they don't do that again until the playoffs. Get sneaky 20 yard pickups when it matters most

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yet that's how opposing defenses view Smith as, a dink n dunker QB still...

dink-n-dunk passes are different than check down passes, X. The WCO is primarily a dink-n-dunk passing offense, we are just not at the point where we can complete a 7-yard pass and turn it into a 27 yard gain.

Hell, even Montana was known by some as a dink-n-dunk QB; in fact, it was this belief that helped us to crush the Broncos in XXIV.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dink-n-dunk passes are different than check down passes, X. The WCO is primarily a dink-n-dunk passing offense, we are just not at the point where we can complete a 7-yard pass and turn it into a 27 yard gain.

Hell, even Montana was known by some as a dink-n-dunk QB; in fact, it was this belief that helped us to crush the Broncos in XXIV.

Ah, then our termingologies clashed... to me dink n dunking are checkdowns...

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I luv to see a play where the team's opposing NT or DT trying to cover Ice on the flats!!!!!!!!!! let it happen!

Okay this is just getting out of hand - I LOVE IT!!!! That would be funny as hell, X-Man!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope they don't do that again until the playoffs. Get sneaky 20 yard pickups when it matters most

That works too! I just hope I see, at least one more time, the sight of one of our 300+ pound lineman catching a pass and lumbering down the gridiron.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our pass attempts are down 15% from last year, Gore's receptions are down 60%. Although the #'s are relatively small, that clearly indicates a philosophical shift away from check-down passes to down-field passes.

Furthermore, one doesn't need the stat sheet to verify this, just watching the games is all that is necessary. I said it was a great point because the check down passes have seemed to quietly disappear from our offense and they have.

agree, to me reduced check downs are a good thing. check downs are plays that didn't go as planned.

this is good cause they're utilizing talents of other WR's and TE's. it also reduces (a little bit) wear and tear on Gore.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex is definitely being aided by our stout defense and strong running attack, which makes being a game manager his most important role.

It's good to remember the short time frame in which Harbaugh has had to implement his schemes and coach these players, which makes the play of the entire team so amazing. I'm guessing that Harbaugh is still keeping the reins on Alex & the passing game to some extent. With a little more time to work on cohesion, I imagine Alex could put up even better numbers than he has so far.... but as things are now... why mess with a good thing? :hat:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mental pic for you all. Rollout playaction pass to ICE on the flat with Ngata shadowing him....freaking hilarious. Rumblin', bumblin', stumblin'....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Alex is definitely being aided by our stout defense and strong running attack, which makes being a game manager his most important role.

It's good to remember the short time frame in which Harbaugh has had to implement his schemes and coach these players, which makes the play of the entire team so amazing. I'm guessing that Harbaugh is still keeping the reins on Alex & the passing game to some extent. With a little more time to work on cohesion, I imagine Alex could put up even better numbers than he has so far.... but as things are now... why mess with a good thing? :hat:

no question the defense and now run game is helping Alex Smith.

felt they started taking the reins off just this past game? no, they didn't go 'hog wild' with vertical passing, but they did go down more than the typical "once a game" and "keep them honest".

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Exactly! In the words of the great Hank Stram, "Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys"

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay this is just getting out of hand - I LOVE IT!!!! That would be funny as hell, X-Man!!

LOL.... imagine the play by play!

Buck: Sopoaga is open through seam!!!
Buck: CAUGHT! Raji fell behind and Sopoaga lands a first down for the Niners!!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL.... imagine the play by play!

Buck: Sopoaga is open through seam!!!
Buck: CAUGHT! Raji fell behind and Sopoaga lands a first down for the Niners!!!

Aikman: What the Hell was that, Joe?!?

I can see it and hear it and it's funny as hell!

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no question the defense and now run game is helping Alex Smith.

felt they started taking the reins off just this past game? no, they didn't go 'hog wild' with vertical passing, but they did go down more than the typical "once a game" and "keep them honest".

Hard to argue with you given the awesome passes to Sop and Staley. Alex's stat line was pretty consistent with that of previous games (15-24 for 177 yards 1TD) but I'd agree that the passing game was a bit more diverse than it has been.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the improved play of the offensive line as of late. Over the 1st 4 games of the season Alex was sacked 14 times for an average of 3.5 per game, whereas only 3 sacks have been given up over the past the past 3 games. I'll be ecstatic if the 9ers oline finds some consistency over the rest of the season, which something I haven't seen since the days of Derrick Deese, Ron Stone, and Jeremy Newberry.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have started a new thread for this and I, for the record, don't agree that he's this high on the list. In fact, I don't agree with a lot of the spots, but oh well, for what it's worth

QB Rankings through Week 8

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
6. Alex Smith, 49ers: Don't tell me about his past struggles. Few QBs are playing as efficiently as Smith, who has helped his team to a 6-1 record in large part because he's completing 63.2 percent of his passes with nine touchdowns and only two interceptions. He ranks second against the blitz with a 128.9 rating and is third among regulars with a 104.9 fourth-quarter rating. And please drop the game-manager moniker. His touchdown strike to Delanie Walker on fourth-and-goal in the final two minutes of a win at Detroit was a thing of beauty.

Okay, you heard him, no more game manager moniker!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: