• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think someone will sign Smith with the condition he has to get help during his susp. If a team doesn't add this to his contract, then their playing with fire.
I would be shocked if the NFL wouldn't make that a condition of his reinstatement, and he'll remain in the program and continue to get tested and all that. I don't think the teams have to try to figure that part out based on how many f-ups this dude has already committed.

Any team that signs him is really going to be out nothing if he never plays again -- not on the hook for his salary while suspended, and I'm sure there won't be a signing bonus to speak of for a multiple conduct offender like this. There's no risk to the cap; it'll be all about optics.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is league policy to not hand down suspensions until after the criminal proceedings have concluded. That means that Aldon should be perfectly fine to play this year. How knows, maybe the guy just needs a change of scenery to turn his life around. Seattle may be the perfect place for him to do that. By snagging him though we are running the risk of his screwing up again and messing up any game plans that rely on him being there.

At this point, I'm still against picking him up, but there is merit in it depending on how sincere he is

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article is pretty stupid IMO, the Seahawks wouldn't put Aldon Smith at OLB, they'd use him as a pass rusher/LEO.

That being said, adding Smith to this defense would be insane. He's young, and he's one of the best pass rushers in the game.

Would love to add a guy like him but the suspension/mental illness/drinking hobby are all huge red flags. We all saw what Percy Harvin did to the team and how much we improved when he was gone. He would be an incredible addition to an already NFL best defense though.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my reactions to hearing that we are interested in ALDUMB Smith

and

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if the NFL wouldn't make that a condition of his reinstatement, and he'll remain in the program and continue to get tested and all that. I don't think the teams have to try to figure that part out based on how many f-ups this dude has already committed.

Any team that signs him is really going to be out nothing if he never plays again -- not on the hook for his salary while suspended, and I'm sure there won't be a signing bonus to speak of for a multiple conduct offender like this. There's no risk to the cap; it'll be all about optics.

Agreed! Maybe Smith should put football on the back burner and seek help to get his life straighten out before he hurts himself or worse, someone else.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some team will take a flier on Smith but it won't be the Seahawks. My guess is some team desperate for talent like Oakland, Jacksonville.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His problem centers around alcohol.
Quit that stuff and don't replace it with anything else that gets you wasted.
Then I bet he is a peach of a guy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is league policy to not hand down suspensions until after the criminal proceedings have concluded. That means that Aldon should be perfectly fine to play this year. How knows, maybe the guy just needs a change of scenery to turn his life around. Seattle may be the perfect place for him to do that. By snagging him though we are running the risk of his screwing up again and messing up any game plans that rely on him being there.

At this point, I'm still against picking him up, but there is merit in it depending on how sincere he is
No, I don't think that's true because the NFL can suspend players for things that aren't even illegal, such as taking air out of a football. They certainly may wait until authorities have a chance to investigate and settle the charges, but I don't think they must.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think that's true because the NFL can suspend players for things that aren't even illegal, such as taking air out of a football. They certainly may wait until authorities have a chance to investigate and settle the charges, but I don't think they must.
If there is a pending legal action, then it is league policy to wait until after it has concluded (from what I understand)

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a pending legal action, then it is league policy to wait until after it has concluded (from what I understand)
They (Goodell) certainly may do that, but I don't think it's hard & fast policy. Probably depends on the circumstances. Again, I think if you can suspend a player for conduct that isnt even precipitating any legal action against him, you can suspend someone during a legal action process. Ray Rice got suspended for slugging his g/f ahead of any legal action against him....don't think the suspension would have been lifted had the DA preferred charges.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They (Goodell) certainly may do that, but I don't think it's hard & fast policy. Probably depends on the circumstances. Again, I think if you can suspend a player for conduct that isnt even precipitating any legal action against him, you can suspend someone during a legal action process. Ray Rice got suspended for slugging his g/f ahead of any legal action against him....don't think the suspension would have been lifted had the DA preferred charges.
I can't remember the exact timeline with the Ray Rice situation but didn't he already go through all of his legal channels and did some sort of deferred sentencing by taking anger management classes? I think all of that played out prior to having the hammer dropped on him by Goodell

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn't Ray Rice facing harsher criminal penalties? - CBS News
Ray Rice of Baltimore Ravens suspended 2 games
Charges filed in March, 2014, entered into a pretrial intervention program instead. Rice wasn't even suspended for two games until late July, 2014.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, memory fuzzy on Rice timelines, but all sorts of examples of players getting suspended for infractions that aren't illegal. The NFL can suspend players separate from legal procedings.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3