• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith - No Charges on Airport Matter

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last thing though, I guess I can't let this one slide:

Possibly best pass rusher of all time? We have to pretend Reggie White doesn't exist now? Come on man. A very credible argument could be made that he's not even the best pass rusher from his DRAFT CLASS, let alone all time. He's a great player, maybe even the best/most talented one on a stacked team. But I think you're definitely overvaluing him here. Especially if Lemon is what you say he is. This isn't anywhere close to the Pats losing Brady. Nowhere close. At all.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Whysies, you're getting dangerously close to stalker status. It's weird. Just chill out.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whysies, you're getting dangerously close to stalker status. It's weird. Just chill out.

You have seventeen thousand posts on this board Sick. I read ESPN all that time too. I've probably (quite literally) read at least 20,000 posts written by you. You're one of the most visible presences. But you got it bud.

On topic, since you're saying the topic is Aldon's value:
Is it ok if I acknowledge Reggie White's existence or do we have to keep pretending that Aldon Smith is possibly the best pash rusher ever already and as valuable as a franchise QB? Do you think that an effective Justin Smith was not a pretty substantial part of Aldon's productivity? Aldon's great and a difference maker and all but THE difference maker? Between a first round exit and a Superbowl win? Really?

I feel like Deep with all the question marks?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Is it ok if I acknowledge Reggie White's existence or do we have to keep pretending that Aldon Smith is possibly the best pash rusher ever already and as valuable as a franchise QB?

I only said he's the most valuable player on the team; I didn't compare his value to that of any franchise QB (except Kaepernick of course by virtue of him being on the 49ers).

Oh, and: Possibly | Define Possibly at Dictionary.com

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I give up Sick. You're all over the place. I was talking about your dumb idea. That's it. You're saying whacky shit like I think it's dumb to exercise Aldon's option now. In reality world. No. I said it would have been dumb to sign him to a big long term extension if he was suspended for the year in Sick's bizarro world. I also said all your other kooky ideas related to that bizarro world scenario were dumb. Tanking. Cutting Gore to sign the suspended booze hound. Trading Crabby cuz fuck it fans, we give up. That's it. Thats what I was talking about. But you can't keep anything straight.

I think it's weird (and like I said, kind of scarily pathological) that your brain is so obsessed with "arguing" and "debating" and "winning" and yet you can't keep your eye on the ball. But maybe that's why you can't keep things straight, you have to feel like you're somehow winning something all the time so your mind jumps through all these hoops to convince yourself of that.

Anyway, seriously, I give up. Your cut/trade ideas are all great, as evidenced by how well they have been embraced by the board for the past decade. Nothing goofy there. You are an excellent arguer and knowerer of football, and I am nothing compared to you. Once again, you won this debate, just like you will win every one from her to perpetuity. Sick, batting a thousand. The undefeated champ.

wow, exactly what I thought when discussing the gun issue with him.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only said he's the most valuable player on the team; I didn't compare his value to that of any franchise QB (except Kaepernick of course by virtue of him being on the 49ers).

Oh, and: Possibly | Define Possibly at Dictionary.com

It's not possible though. Reggie White existed. It's impossible for him to be better than Reggie White (at least the player that Aldon is now, maybe he'll get there). You could say its possible that he's the best pash rusher in the league right now. Maybe he is. It's certainly possible. He could possibly be the best to ever live one day. But the player he is now, possibly the best of all time? As it stands right now, no. That's impossible. He's not better than Reggie White was. Reggie White was so much more disruptive one on one (or one on two or three). Aldon can be and often is great one on one and can be pretty amazing working behind Justin. But I don't think it's really close between him and Reggie White (or Bruce Smith, and honestly right now I think Watt is probably a better pash rusher as well)

You didn't say losing him was analagous to the Pats losing their franchise QB? My bad. I know you said it was analagous to the Hawks losing Sherman. But I don't think that's a good example of a team no longer being a legit contender when they lose a player. Look at that secondary. Look at how they all play. That team would still be a contender without Sherman.

Since you spoke the name that dare not be spoken- you and I are in agreement on Kap's failings. But I think he is more valuable to this team than Aldon, in no small part to who is behind him on the depth chart. This team can win without Aldon, IMO. Without Kap, we are playing the Blaine game. Blaine Gabbert isn't going to win any Superbowls as the starting QB, IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have seventeen thousand posts on this board Sick. I read ESPN all that time too. I've probably (quite literally) read at least 20,000 posts written by you. You're one of the most visible presences. But you got it bud.

Is it ok if I acknowledge Reggie White's existence or do we have to keep pretending that Aldon Smith is possibly the best pash rusher ever already and as valuable as a franchise QB? Do you think that an effective Justin Smith was not a pretty substantial part of Aldon's productivity? Aldon's great and a difference maker and all but THE difference maker? Between a first round exit and a Superbowl win? Really?

I feel like Deep with all the question marks?

agree.

Aldon is huge no doubt, but its a team game. there is no team game like football because of the number of players contributing. the 49ers are a good team and could still contend for the SB (this season) without Aldon.

anyway, the odds of him being out ALL season is low, so not a likely scenario.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You didn't say losing him was analagous to the Pats losing their franchise QB?

My bad. I know you said it was analagous to the Hawks losing Sherman. But I don't think that's a good example of a team no longer being a legit contender when they lose a player. Look at that secondary. Look at how they all play. That team would still be a contender without Sherman.

No they wouldn't. Seattle's defense would be significantly worse than the Niners' defense without Big Mouth. In fact, their D wouldn't even be as good as the Cardinals' defense. They're not going to win the SB coming out of the NFC west without their best player. It's too big of a loss, and he's irreplaceable.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember before they drafted Aldon they had no pass rush and that made their secondary worse , but don't you think Sick that since that time they have had some decent replacements that could get them over? I mean if Lemonier progresses, Eric Reid and Tank develop, their his loss will be felt a lot less, no?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the rush is to sign him I guess. The only reason to sign him right now would be if you could get him signed to a nice team friendly contract which allows the team to cut him at any point if he ends up getting suspended. Very few players want contracts like this though as it is betting a lot on themselves to stay healthy and out of trouble and at least one of those they cannot guarantee. With the way the new contracts are set up essentially the 49ers can have him on those 1-year type contracts at below market value while evaluating whether he can stay out of trouble. I understand this risks the price going up for his services but I would rather pay top dollar for a player in a couple of years knowing he has stayed out of trouble than mortgage the future on a guy that has a pattern of screwing up. Risk/Reward just doesn't add up in this situation. Running into this same situation with Von Miller in Denver so have spent a great deal of time talking on the pros and cons of signing him long-term at this point.