• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my concerns right now is balance.. the yankees have too much of this and not enough of that! and letting frazier go was a big mistake.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would you even be concerned with the Yankees rotation? It should be among the best in the AL.

CC ... you cannot be sure he will repeat last years performance, prior years, terrible

tanaka... has unhittable stuff, but, don't know what you r gonna get game to game?

gray... has not pitched well as a yankee

serevino.... needs to mature , great potential, so did Nova!

montgomery.... good competitor, but he ain't lites out

yanks rotation is suspect at best, but its nice to know they only have to give you 5 solid innings

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees SP project for 16.4 WAR which is probably top 5 among all MLB teams (too lazy to check, but I know it's more than the Red Sox; injuries do play a role in that for the Sox with Eduardo out for a while). You have three pitchers that project to 3+ WAR and Montgomery/Sabathia both project to around 2 WAR. I'd take Montgomery/Sabathia over just about any other team's 4/5 starters though I think Sabathia is due for some regression next year. And even if one of them suck, you have a solid prospect waiting to get called up.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees SP project for 16.4 WAR which is probably top 5 among all MLB teams (too lazy to check, but I know it's more than the Red Sox; injuries do play a role in that for the Sox with Eduardo out for a while). You have three pitchers that project to 3+ WAR and Montgomery/Sabathia both project to around 2 WAR. I'd take Montgomery/Sabathia over just about any other team's 4/5 starters though I think Sabathia is due for some regression next year. And even if one of them suck, you have a solid prospect waiting to get called up.

Bingo

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf is war? you talk that smack with players from my day you would get smacked! who started that schitt, showalter? i go by what i see..... you know how many high round players made it to the show in my day? very few... i don't follow the game enough today, i go by what i know... and nothing is guaranteed!

prospects are just what they are!

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf is war? you talk that smack with players from my day you would get smacked! who started that schitt, showalter? i go by what i see..... you know how many high round players made it to the show in my day? very few... i don't follow the game enough today, i go by what i know... and nothing is guaranteed!

prospects are just what they are!

Pasta, you're a Yankee fan, right? Have you been paying attention to this team the last year, year and a half? What the hell is there to be so angry about? Shit, a couple of years ago I was right there with you, when they had a depleted farm and past their prime millionaires at just about every position. But, thanks to some excellent drafting and shrewd trades, they've now got a top 5 farm system and what I believe to be a top 4 or 5 MLB club.

Lighten up, brother!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pasta, you're a Yankee fan, right? Have you been paying attention to this team the last year, year and a half? What the hell is there to be so angry about? Shit, a couple of years ago I was right there with you, when they had a depleted farm and past their prime millionaires at just about every position. But, thanks to some excellent drafting and shrewd trades, they've now got a top 5 farm system and what I believe to be a top 4 or 5 MLB club.

Lighten up, brother!

Bruh there is no hope for him. I would advise you to check out the 2017 AL East thread for Pasta at his finest

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's absolutely true. You want a high average guy to hit 3rd, but doesn't need power or a high OBP.

I'm fine with Judge hitting second because over the course of a season, that's probably going to add up to 40-50 more ABs than if he were hitting farther down the line-up. It's a good thing when your best players get more chances to impact the game.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bat Judge or Stanton 3rd, and you are just begging them to come to the plate with 2 outs and the bases empty. That accounted for 23% of plate appearances for AL hitters in the 3 spot last year, compared to 11% and 12% for 2nd and 1st respectively.

2 outs and the bases empty is the worst possible situation in which to start a rally.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Judge hitting second because over the course of a season, that's probably going to add up to 40-50 more ABs than if he were hitting farther down the line-up. It's a good thing when your best players get more chances to impact the game.
Batting 3rd, they are more likely to come to the plate with runners in scoring position. But with Judge/Stanton, any time a runner is on base, they are in scoring position because of their power. Which is why you just want a high-average guy to hit 3rd, because you don't need an extra base hit to drive someone in who is in scoring position.

Last year, 41% of plate appearances in the 2-spot came with runners on base while 25% of plate appearances in the 3 spot were with runners in scoring position. So if you have a high power/high-OBP guy in the 2-spot, he has a good chance to either knock in the run (even if it is just on first) or get on base and set up the 3-hitter with a runner in scoring position. And if that 3-hitter has a high-average, he can knock in that run.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lighten up, brother!

Yes, I am a yankee fan. And I am fine! My opinions are different from most here maybe because I have seen more and done more at a different time! In my days there were no days off. Pissed me off that girardi, believed in that! it’s BS , you get enough time off from injuries, which you will never prevent from happening. giardi’s decision of Gardner over ellsbury pissed me off. Look, is Gardner faster ,stronger than ells, Of course, but is he the smarter player , NO! I was convinced we got ells, ecstatic !!! that we finally had a legit lead off guy, I could not believe girardi chose Gardner. Girardi was my biggest problem, we were not a player away from a ring, I believe we were a coach away! Is Boone the answer? One can only hope!

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was exactly girardi’s thinking, and it’s wrong! I asked this question and I got no response! How many times in the PS alone did Judge lead off an inning? The answer is simple which nobody got! Too many!

Baseball is a simple game, no need to make it a difficult one by overthinking and over managing it

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bat Judge or Stanton 3rd, and you are just begging them to come to the plate with 2 outs and the bases empty. That accounted for 23% of plate appearances for AL hitters in the 3 spot last year, compared to 11% and 12% for 2nd and 1st respectively.

2 outs and the bases empty is the worst possible situation in which to start a rally.

I don’t even understand this thought process, it hurt just to read this!

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was exactly girardi’s thinking, and it’s wrong! I asked this question and I got no response! How many times in the PS alone did Judge lead off an inning? The answer is simple which nobody got! Too many!

Baseball is a simple game, no need to make it a difficult one by overthinking and over managing it
Judge led off an inning 10 times in the postseason. Are you saying that if you move him to the 3-spot he will lead off fewer innings?

Sanchez/Gregorius, who hit 3rd in the postseason last year, led off 11 innings out of the 3-spot. So there goes that theory.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t even understand this thought process, it hurt just to read this!
Well yeah I didn't expect you to understand the thought process because it involves thought.

You don't want one of your best hitters coming up with 2 outs and the bases empty.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I would rank the importance of batting order positions:

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My lead off guy is a scrappy kid, one who looks in the eye of the pitcher and makes him work, steps out of the box pisses him off, gets into his head, let the next batter see what he has, do whatever it takes to get on base and when he does get on, again get a good lead, keep your eye on the release of the ball, you see that ball is not reaching catcher, you take off. That catcher has to catch that ball clean get a good grip and make the perfect throw... if you think Gardner was that guy , I don’t!

My number 2 has to move that guy if he doesn’t get a good pitch to steal , he has to give himself up, to try and give his team beat chance at an early lead ... takes a lot of pressure off starter.

The rest is up to the gap hitter and clean up... then Rince & repeat

Your philosophy is strickley playing long ball.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My lead off guy is a scrappy kid, one who looks in the eye of the pitcher and makes him work, steps out of the box pisses him off, gets into his head, let the next batter see what he has, do whatever it takes to get on base and when he does get on, again get a good lead, keep your eye on the release of the ball, you see that ball is not reaching catcher, you take off. That catcher has to catch that ball clean get a good grip and make the perfect throw... if you think Gardner was that guy , I don’t!

My number 2 has to move that guy if he doesn’t get a good pitch to steal , he has to give himself up, to try and give his team beat chance at an early lead ... takes a lot of pressure off starter.

The rest is up to the gap hitter and clean up... then Rince & repeat

Your philosophy is strickley playing long ball.
My philosophy isn't strictly playing long ball at all. That's why I said the 3 hitter doesn't need power.