• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m interested to see how the new ownership for the O’s spends their money. It’s unlikely that they will be able to keep all of Rutschman, Henderson, Holliday, Cowser, Westberg, Rodriguez etc…. I’m sure they also want to keep Burnes after this season. But they are not tied down with any bad/bloated contracts and almost have a clean slate(unless they are still paying Chris Davis lol). You can’t be in a better financial situation than they are at the moment.

What's gonna suck is seeing former rule 5 player - Anthony "boom boon" Santander go, but I don't see how you can pay him what he's worth and also have money for Burnes AND some of the players you mentioned above.

Since it's pretty much understood that it's much harder to find a #1 starter than a power hitting right fielder, it seems like a foregone conclusion.

OTOH, maybe he takes a mild hometown discount? What's a few million among friends?

Wishful thinking....

The real question is of those you mentioned, who do you pay first? IMHO, as of right now Gunnar is a top 5 player in baseball, Adley is a top 20, Rodriguez is a true #2 right now with the potential to be a #1. Those are the three you start with....

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tie goes to the runner. In reality if he would have been called safe, it would have been uphold. One of those damn if you'd an if you don't.

My question is why are they still playing?

They were never changing the call, not enough evidence and the rain has slowed down...they have a window to get it in.....I'm 40 miles West of the Bronx.....

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's gonna suck is seeing former rule 5 player - Anthony "boom boon" Santander go, but I don't see how you can pay him what he's worth and also have money for Burnes AND some of the players you mentioned above.

Since it's pretty much understood that it's much harder to find a #1 starter than a power hitting right fielder, it seems like a foregone conclusion.

OTOH, maybe he takes a mild hometown discount? What's a few million among friends?

Wishful thinking....

The real question is of those you mentioned, who do you pay first? IMHO, as of right now Gunnar is a top 5 player in baseball, Adley is a top 20, Rodriguez is a true #2 right now with the potential to be a #1. Those are the three you start with....
Santander leaving is a foregone conclusion. When we traded for Eflin, I thought for sure that he was out, because moving the contract of Austin Hays, Santander departing as a free agency and a likely off-season trade of Mullins or Mountcastle basically pays for Eflin.

I’m still not certain how much ownership is going to pay people. Obviously, this off-season is big. If we can retain Corbin Burnes, that is huge. But, at the very least, we have to begin to do some sort of extension talks with these young guys because every week, they are getting more expensive.

Santander would need to take a deep discount, or return on a QO, for him to return here, and I think he’s standing to cash in pretty well here. And it is well-deserved. He can play a very good RF, can play LF as well, and 1B in a pinch. Power from both sides and a solid hit tool. I am also not sure it is a profile that ages well, and the Orioles have the minors depth to easily replace him talent-wise. Production wise? Potential has to be realized for those players.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rain coming down like crazy in the bronx.

No way this game doesn't go to a rain delay aftee this inning

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m interested to see how the new ownership for the O’s spends their money. It’s unlikely that they will be able to keep all of Rutschman, Henderson, Holliday, Cowser, Westberg, Rodriguez etc…. I’m sure they also want to keep Burnes after this season. But they are not tied down with any bad/bloated contracts and almost have a clean slate(unless they are still paying Chris Davis lol). You can’t be in a better financial situation than they are at the moment.
Rubenstein has the money to at least return payroll to 2016-17 levels around $165 million, and some believe he could push close to $200m. But I am concerned that no one has been extended from that group yet. Every week, they get more expensive, and we’re sitting here waiting. The only payroll we’ve added is Eflin at $18m next year, and I think we’re on the hook for Eloy Jimenez’s buyout(s) but that’s it.

And yes, we are paying Chris Davis, but with his retirement, they reworked the deal to $.33 or so on the dollar, and deferred it for at least 12-15 years.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rubenstein has the money to at least return payroll to 2016-17 levels around $165 million, and some believe he could push close to $200m. But I am concerned that no one has been extended from that group yet. Every week, they get more expensive, and we’re sitting here waiting. The only payroll we’ve added is Eflin at $18m next year, and I think we’re on the hook for Eloy Jimenez’s buyout(s) but that’s it.

And yes, we are paying Chris Davis, but with his retirement, they reworked the deal to $.33 or so on the dollar, and deferred it for at least 12-15 years.
Damn! I was joking about Chris Davis. I didn’t realize he really was still on the books.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eflin with a strong start tonight to help the Orioles to victory. Also, pretty wild to see Eloy Jimenez waking up the bat, although it is only a matter of time before he slips in the dugout and is out for 4 weeks.