• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East 2016 thread

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically, by 2nd place they aren't. Last year people thought Keuchel and Price would be tight. Keuchel got 22 first place votes, Price got 8. In the two previous years nobody other than the winner got more than 1 first place vote in either league.

Unless you're suggesting that you think Quintana will finish second this year, I don't see how this relates to our discussion.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I wish Dallas Keuchel hadn't won the CY. His name annoys me, the spelling of his name annoys me, the pronunciation of his name annoys me and his stupid fucking beard annoys me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the CY Winners over the last seven with the pitchers the formula predicted bolded.

AL - David Price
NL - Jake Arrieta

AL - Corey Kluber
NL - Clayton Kershaw

AL - Max Scherzer
NL - Clayton Kershaw

AL - David Price
NL - RA Dickey

AL - Justin Verlander
NL - Clayton Kershaw

AL - Felix Hernandez
NL - Roy Halladay

AL - Zack Greinke
NL - Tim Lincecum

So, over your arbitrary pick of seven years, the formula has tagged 71%. Your point was that the formula likely wouldn't apply to current events, but it's tagged 90% over the last five.

I believe we're headed in a direction where wins and losses won't matter, but we're not there yet.

It's time to give up the ghost on this one, Danny. Unless you're inclined to try to move the goal posts again, I'll make this easy for you; just cut and past the following sentence in the comment section and click the black "Post Reply" button.

Slinky, I realize now that even though you and I both dislike the W/L stats for baseball pitchers, on some level, they're still considered by some Cy Young voters.
Or other stats correlate with games won. But I tried giving it up earlier so you can just keep :deadhorse:for as long as you like, friend.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you're suggesting that you think Quintana will finish second this year, I don't see how this relates to our discussion.
What?? How did the sentence "Typically by 3rd or 4th place, a pitcher isn't much closer to winning a CY than you are." relate any more than my response to that sentence?

Get a grip, man.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?? How did the sentence "Typically by 3rd or 4th place, a pitcher isn't much closer to winning a CY than you are." relate any more than my response to that sentence?

Get a grip, man.

It was pretty linear.

Danny: If you get a CY vote, you're in the discussion.

Slinky: Not really. By third or fourth place, they're really not much closer to winning a CY than you are.

Danny: Second place is close to winning a CY.

Slinky:
bKB6451.gif