• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: AFC Title Game: Bengals AT Chiefs 3 PM EST

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs hosted 4 straight Championship games and are only gonna get one title out of that. Just goes to show you nothing is guaranteed in this league and winning championships is hard. The AFC is only getting stronger and the Chiefs will no doubt feel the pain of letting this one slip away for a while

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs hosted 4 straight Championship games and are only gonna get one title out of that. Just goes to show you nothing is guaranteed in this league and winning championships is hard. The AFC is only getting stronger and the Chiefs will no doubt feel the pain of letting this one slip away for a while

And just think, if they weren’t playing a team lead by a coach who doesn’t choke away every playoff lead he’s ever had they’d have no titles to show for it.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive adjustments in bot games....6 total points in 4 quarters of 2nd half football for KC. Simply amazing.
Loved how Burrow's first words in the interview on the field were to praise the defense and give props to your DC. The kid is a great leader and teammate as well as a great talent. I just hope Pete Carroll was watching this game and the last matchup to learn the meaning of the word "adjustments". lol

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you do the math, 4 championship games should generally get you one title. They've regressed to the mean.

The thing about Chiefs games is that they are clock management games because their offense is so potent and their defense is always kinda bad.

Defense over time will always win more championships. Offense just gets them to the big games.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved how Burrow's first words in the interview on the field were to praise the defense
If Mahomes was worth 10/$500M on his second contract, what's Burrows worth?

Bengals better start thinking about a new contract and make Joey the happiest kid in camp. They may own his ass for the next three years but QBs like him don't grow on trees. If they don't at least suggest that they're putting a plan in place, he just might not be so willing to put his butt on the line as this contract comes to and end. Not a good time to be cheaping out.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will it be asking too much for the shitty basketball schools to catch up? Lol probably.

Quite a year for Cincy fans. first the bearcats in the CFP, albeit a bad showing, then the Bengals making it all the way.

WTF happened to Bearcats Basketball???

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bengals better start thinking about a new contract and make Joey the happiest kid in camp. They may own his ass for the next three years but QBs like him don't grow on trees. If they don't at least suggest that they're putting a plan in place, he just might not be so willing to put his butt on the line as this contract comes to and end. Not a good time to be cheaping out.
The other way to look at this is that the Bengals have a major salary advantage over other teams right now. They really shouldn't see this as a bad thing

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you do the math, 4 championship games should generally get you one title. They've regressed to the mean.

The thing about Chiefs games is that they are clock management games because their offense is so potent and their defense is always kinda bad.

Defense over time will always win more championships. Offense just gets them to the big games.
Yeah, getting to the SB and winning it isn't a given just because you host the CG. The other teams are usually there for a reason. I think what surprises everyone about this one is how badly Mahomes played in clutch time and that they couldn't put the foot on the proverbial throat being up 18. Mahomes hasn't shown this in big games before so it was pretty shocking. The Chiefs defense really wasn't awful but the offense did nothing in the second half to give them a breather. 8 minutes on 7 drives, wasn't it? That is horrendous. Put some on Reid and Biennemy but Mahomes was pressing and making horrible decisions. A lot of chain moving plays were left out there.
Gotta give credit to the Bengals too though. Tough, resilient bunch.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burrow will get 8-10 years at 45mil per or better easy and Cincy will be a place that some players will play for less to get to. Ironic that just recently, players were begging to get out of there because the franchise was so bad. Goes to show what the right pick at #1 can do to a culture.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Valid as it gets.

Continuing with the mth, Andy completely rebuilt the O-Line after a winning season last year, Instead of rebuilding or at least restructuring the defense. He also made sure that Mahomes had primary and back up targets.

There was an interesting graphic before the game yesterday showing that the Chiefs were 9th against the pass and 27th against the run in 2020 and 2nd against the run and 27th against the pass in 2021. Then they showed that the first four games of 2021 were a struggle giving up 29 points a game, the next 9 were greatly improved giving up17 and the last four wereexactly like the first four giving up2 8 a game. The commentator said something weird, but might have some truth. "TheChiefs defense needed a month to find itself and played intensely for the following nine weeks. Then they seemed to run out of gas. It appears that they're still sputtering." That was before the game.

It made me think of the Patriots 2021 season. Poor start, hot streak in the middle, poor finish. Then comes the aggravating question.

Was the team just not up to their competitive schedule?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a year for Cincy fans. first the bearcats in the CFP, albeit a bad showing, then the Bengals making it all the way.

WTF happened to Bearcats Basketball???

They overstayed their welcome in the AAC. It’s C-USA 2.0. The athletes are not good. Thank goodness the Big XII is open.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow will get 8-10 years at 45mil per or better easy and Cincy will be a place that some players will play for less to get to. Ironic that just recently, players were begging to get out of there because the franchise was so bad. Goes to show what the right pick at #1 can do to a culture.
Yessir. It also shows that guys will go where the QB can lead them and win for less. Manning, Brady, Mahomes, Prescott, Wilson. Now youcan add Burrows and Stafford. Article in SI yesterday saidtht if Brady does officially retire, Players in Tampa are already talking about a mass exodus because most of them are on 1 year reduced deals to play with the GOAT.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for my $0.02 I do not think it was a fumble looked to me like #55 tripped up Mixon

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, getting to the SB and winning it isn't a given just because you host the CG. The other teams are usually there for a reason. I think what surprises everyone about this one is how badly Mahomes played in clutch time and that they couldn't put the foot on the proverbial throat being up 18. Mahomes hasn't shown this in big games before so it was pretty shocking. The Chiefs defense really wasn't awful but the offense did nothing in the second half to give them a breather. 8 minutes on 7 drives, wasn't it? That is horrendous. Put some on Reid and Biennemy but Mahomes was pressing and making horrible decisions. A lot of chain moving plays were left out there.
Gotta give credit to the Bengals too though. Tough, resilient bunch.
Yeah, there is a trend of Mahomes trying too hard in big games. There were some drops and the refs let both teams get away with some PI. The Chiefs have built an NBA culture (read: because the offense always has to score) and not an NFL culture and Mahomes is a bit like Kobe where he wants the ball at the end of the game and teams play to take away the big play.

The problem the Chiefs had in the AFC title game is that they already saw what happens if they play Cinci normal. Cinci beat them just a month ago. So they played over aggressive and it burned them on multiple occasions. The pick on the dlineman was easily Mahomes' worst play but you had Mahomes having all day to throw in some situations. All day. And he couldn't find anyone open. At some point you have an Xs and Os problem if your best plan is to just sit back in the pocket for 10 seconds and hope someone gets open.

Chiefs only got 1 sack on the Bengals. Chris Jones is supposed to be a star and has zero sacks in 11 playoff games. Frank Clark is paid like a superstar and generally isnt. Melvin Ingram was picked up to help the unit. Jarran Reed is supposed to be a good player. I believe the Chiefs have more resources on their dline than almost any other part of their team and they're bottom tier in the league.

Mahomes did have his worst year this year but its hard for me to be disappointed in him. He really shouldn't be expected to carry the Chiefs all of the time. Brady got to start his career with a top defense. Wilson got to start his career with a top defense. Big Ben started with a top defense. Rodgers and Peyton won their rings with a top defense. The Bengals have a better defense.

Chiefs have about 1-3 years left on the Kelce-Hill window. If they fix their defense then they'll compete.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why sports is so great, you never really know what's going to happen. I sure didn't see the Bengals winning that game, never thought I'd see Mahomes play so poorly in a big moment. Even with the first round blowouts this has been the best playoffs I can ever remember.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there is a trend of Mahomes trying too hard in big games. There were some drops and the refs let both teams get away with some PI. The Chiefs have built an NBA culture (read: because the offense always has to score) and not an NFL culture and Mahomes is a bit like Kobe where he wants the ball at the end of the game and teams play to take away the big play.

The problem the Chiefs had in the AFC title game is that they already saw what happens if they play Cinci normal. Cinci beat them just a month ago. So they played over aggressive and it burned them on multiple occasions. The pick on the dlineman was easily Mahomes' worst play but you had Mahomes having all day to throw in some situations. All day. And he couldn't find anyone open. At some point you have an Xs and Os problem if your best plan is to just sit back in the pocket for 10 seconds and hope someone gets open.

Chiefs only got 1 sack on the Bengals. Chris Jones is supposed to be a star and has zero sacks in 11 playoff games. Frank Clark is paid like a superstar and generally isnt. Melvin Ingram was picked up to help the unit. Jarran Reed is supposed to be a good player. I believe the Chiefs have more resources on their dline than almost any other part of their team and they're bottom tier in the league.

Mahomes did have his worst year this year but its hard for me to be disappointed in him. He really shouldn't be expected to carry the Chiefs all of the time. Brady got to start his career with a top defense. Wilson got to start his career with a top defense. Big Ben started with a top defense. Rodgers and Peyton won their rings with a top defense. The Bengals have a better defense.

Chiefs have about 1-3 years left on the Kelce-Hill window. If they fix their defense then they'll compete.
Definitely seeing this next off-season as big. Agree with the X's and O's problem. It's fixable, though. IMO I'd think we get a reliable 3rd option as a receiver and it'd go a long way in helping. On the defensive side I'd go rush end, add another LB, and get more corner help. That's where I'd start, at least...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Frank Clark has turned out to be not worth it. And Chris Jones, maybe not the sacks you guys would like but he was getting some pressures. Ingram had a couple of big plays but I give a little credit to A) that much maligned Bengal Oline for playing hard even though somewhat overmatched and B) Burrow for escaping and making just the right plays when needed. Again, the Chiefs D wasn't awful but they were on the field almost non stop the entire second half. Even good and great defenses need some help from the offense. Not talking scoring either. Just a few first downs and drives to even out the T.O.P.
And yes, I do agree partly on the scheme on offense but Mahomes admitted himself that he kept looking for home runs when checkdowns were open. And he inexplicably was holding onto the ball forever. I just have never seen him that rattled or indecisive in big games. I get not carrying the team part but he looked completely off after the end of first half blunder. At any rate, good luck next year @Clayton . Always a pleasure talking football with you brother.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams opened as -4 faves vs the Bengals.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Frank Clark has turned out to be not worth it. And Chris Jones, maybe not the sacks you guys would like but he was getting some pressures. Ingram had a couple of big plays but I give a little credit to A) that much maligned Bengal Oline for playing hard even though somewhat overmatched and B) Burrow for escaping and making just the right plays when needed. Again, the Chiefs D wasn't awful but they were on the field almost non stop the entire second half. Even good and great defenses need some help from the offense. Not talking scoring either. Just a few first downs and drives to even out the T.O.P.
And yes, I do agree partly on the scheme on offense but Mahomes admitted himself that he kept looking for home runs when checkdowns were open. And he inexplicably was holding onto the ball forever. I just have never seen him that rattled or indecisive in big games. I get not carrying the team part but he looked completely off after the end of first half blunder. At any rate, good luck next year @Clayton . Always a pleasure talking football with you brother.
Shark would be one of the players I'd want off my roster. Sorenson would be next...