• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC Basketball Thread

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

That's what bothers me most about a game AT Syracuse. Hopefully there won't be that many boards to be had because Duke is hitting all their shots.:nutswing:

Yup; they are big; however now that Plumlee is getting more minutes and really playing well, along with Hood, Parker, and Jefferson, Duke is big enough. Don't know if any team is as good at 3 point shooting as Duke, so unless Syracuse gets them tired, Duke has an advantage beyond the arc as Dawkins, Cook and Hood can really fill it up. Parker simply does everything well. For me the key is better play from Hood and the biggest thing is Plumlee really strong inside. I know Syracuse has to keep focused on tonights game, however win or lose tonight really doesn't matter regarding the intensity of Saturday's game. I'll definitely be watching that one along with Arizona and Stanford as Stanford has a small chance for an upset and might make it interesting.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup; they are big; however now that Plumlee is getting more minutes and really playing well, along with Hood, Parker, and Jefferson, Duke is big enough. Don't know if any team is as good at 3 point shooting as Duke, so unless Syracuse gets them tired, Duke has an advantage beyond the arc as Dawkins, Cook and Hood can really fill it up. Parker simply does everything well. For me the key is better play from Hood and the biggest thing is Plumlee really strong inside. I know Syracuse has to keep focused on tonights game, however win or lose tonight really doesn't matter regarding the intensity of Saturday's game. I'll definitely be watching that one along with Arizona and Stanford as Stanford has a small chance for an upset and might make it interesting.

I hear ya Runeman. But size is Duke's achilles heel. Syracuse is a zone based team recruited to play that way. JB gets guys that can rebound in a zone where other teams who run zone can't find someone to box out. JB is an excellent coach. His record speaks for itself. I love these games too. I'm looking forward to this game mores than the Super Bowl.:nod:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya Runeman. But size is Duke's achilles heel. Syracuse is a zone based team recruited to play that way. JB gets guys that can rebound in a zone where other teams who run zone can't find someone to box out. JB is an excellent coach. His record speaks for itself. I love these games too. I'm looking forward to this game mores than the Super Bowl.:nod:

Yeah, JB recruits guys who have very long arms and that zone seems to work. Watched Pittsburgh last year killed them from the dead spot near the foul line. It's very hard to pass inside on Syracuse and they seem to get a lot of turnovers from those long arms tipping passes. A pass into the foul line and back outside to Dawkins, Cook and Hood should give some very good looks. It's a matter of making the shots. Ennis and Cooney are not that big so there is a good match up for Duke from 3 point range. Someone going to have to put a body on C. J. Fair as he seems to roam all over the place and very quietly makes 17-20 points without being noticed. Jonvi might be at the game..:yahoo:..we shall look for him on the TV monitor. He will be the "pasted" guy in the nose bleed section.....LOL:lol:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to beat a zone is to shoot well over it. Of course that doesn't always work out...

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way to beat a zone is make it a numbers game. Out-number the parts that the zone doesn't cover. Creating three on two or two on ones. You can set screens and move the ball quickly, but you have to take care of the ball. The teams that try and beat JB's zone seem to want to penetrate and pass off or try and take it amongst the trees inside and get into trouble. They make a bad pass which gets deflected into a turnover and that creates a run out for an easy layup the other way. JB's taught all this to K for the Olympics so there's that I hope!:stephena:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way to beat a zone is make it a numbers game. Out-number the parts that the zone doesn't cover. Creating three on two or two on ones. You can set screens and move the ball quickly, but you have to take care of the ball. The teams that try and beat JB's zone seem to want to penetrate and pass off or try and take it amongst the trees inside and get into trouble. They make a bad pass which gets deflected into a turnover and that creates a run out for an easy layup the other way. JB's taught all this to K for the Olympics so there's that I hope!:stephena:

The problem with beating Cuse's zone is that they realign themselves quickly to take that advantage away without giving you anything else anywhere else. JB is a super coach and he's got the talent to win it all this year. Hopefully they will if Duke doesn't.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An underrated but effective way to beat a zone is with offensive rebounding.

The zone defenders do not have clear box-out assignments like they would in man-to-man. Have your bigs crash the offensive glass. If the shooting doesn't work out, there will be plenty of chances at offensive rebounds and put backs.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An underrated but effective way to beat a zone is with offensive rebounding.

The zone defenders do not have clear box-out assignments like they would in man-to-man. Have your bigs crash the offensive glass. If the shooting doesn't work out, there will be plenty of chances at offensive rebounds and put backs.

And that is exactly what Duke historically has been bad at doing. They have no bigs unless 7' tall Plumlee can give them some rebounds. Jefferson is Duke's best rebounder. At 6'9" he has been the difference with their 5 game winning streak. The rest of Duke's players are perimeter focused on offense. Duke doesn't have a post up player at all unless Parker does it.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering how games in the SE would go tonight.

I heard on the radio that the uNC contingent was trying to get a local feed worked out so it could still be televised. It just won't be on ESPN tonight.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
douggie, is that Sonny Jurgensen in your avatar?

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Orange dont overlook W.F. on the road tonight with the big game vs. Duke ahead this Saturday.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
douggie, is that Sonny Jurgensen in your avatar?

Yep. He was born in Wilmington and graduated at New Hanover High School. Duke Class of 1956. He also won the Orange Bowl in 1955 when Duke beat Nebraska.

"Does Duke have a football team? You damn right they have a football team!" - David Cutcliffe

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Orange dont overlook W.F. on the road tonight with the big game vs. Duke ahead this Saturday.

Coach JB ain't looking past shit. An ass woopin is inbound.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when VT won in Miami (61-60 in OT) and was 1-0 in ACC play? Ah good times. Because they're gonna legit finish 1-17.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC up 13 at the half don't look real good for the Hokies.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
!!!And Doug Floutie is playing the drums!!!!:wtf2:

I didn't know he could beat anything.:laugh3:

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC up 13 at the half don't look real good for the Hokies.

BC has won like 7 of the last 8 against VT. Bad matchup. I guess you could say that about every team though lol. Poor Hokies.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now its 21 point lead for BC. The Hokies look lost.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC is gonna be 6-14 after this game... with 2 wins over VT :L :L :L