• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Pierzynski to Red Sox... Salty on way out?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Papi's face pubes sold for $10k??

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors about the Reds trading Brandon Phillips have died down a bit since early in the offseason, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer noticed an interesting little tidbit that seems to suggest the second baseman remains likely to be moved.
According to a press release sent out by the team to promote the upcoming RedsFest event “over 70 current and former Reds players, coaches, and broadcasters are scheduled to appear.” And as Fay notes, Phillips isn’t on the list.
Could be nothing, of course, but …

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me likey -

As of last week Brian Wilson was said to be in “serious” talks with Detroit, but now that the Tigers are on the verge of signing Joe Nathan as their new closer Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]407914593176924161[/MEDIA]"]reports[/ame] that Wilson is nearing a return to the Dodgers.
Wilson was fantastic down the stretch as a setup man for the Dodgers, throwing 20 innings with a 0.45 ERA and 21/6 K/BB ratio combined in the regular season and playoffs. And after missing nearly all of 2012 following Tommy John elbow surgery he averaged 93.2 miles per hour with his fastball.

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there we go again the Dodgers ruining baseball by throwing money around. lol

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there we go again the Dodgers ruining baseball by throwing money around. lol

And I still would rather it not be the case. However, until MLB does something to change their rules & level the financial playing field, I have zero issue with the team I root for taking full advantage of their current financial advantage.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A solid position on "let 'em all in". I have read far more "keep 'em all out" than i have like this.

That said, how funny that there seems to be very little middle ground here.

It's not that I disagree with the "let em all in", it's the fact that's he's a race-obsessed clown and he groups Blyleven with Rice/Gossage/Dawson. Blyleven easily deserves his place in Cooperstown. Not sure about Dawson (I think he's borderline), but Rice and Gossage are very undeserving IMO.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I still would rather it not be the case. However, until MLB does something to change their rules & level the financial playing field, I have zero issue with the team I root for taking full advantage of their current financial advantage.

Same with me. You have the money and can get away with it... USE IT!!! Simple as that!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I disagree with the "let em all in", it's the fact that's he's a race-obsessed clown and he groups Blyleven with Rice/Gossage/Dawson. Blyleven easily deserves his place in Cooperstown. Not sure about Dawson (I think he's borderline), but Rice and Gossage are very undeserving IMO.

Even after a 2nd read, I did not pick up on any racism myself, but, you may read him regularly, and that very well may be an issue for him.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm late, but we have so far:

- Fister traded to the Nats
- Pierzynski signs with Boston
- Nathan signs wi the Detroit
- B. Wilson close with the Dodgers
- A's get Jim Johnson
- Hanigan traded to Rays

My take:

- I already thought Detroit weakened their team with the Fielder/Kinsler swap. They just made it worse. While we still have to see what they do with the money saved, Detroit will still likely come out a weaker team.

The Tigers have Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, and now Porcello, and Smyly. While Smyly may be a decent starter, they lose his production from their bullpen. They better hope Sanchez stays healthy. I don't see any of these trades as making it easier to extend Scherzer, either. They have to pay Kinsler $62mm over the next 4 years, and then start paying Texas $6mm a season starting in 2016.

-Piezynski wasn't my preferred option, but he carries a good bat. Reports say he is an A-hole, but an unnamed teammate said just yesterday that it is the other team that dislikes Pierzynski, and he was well liked by his teammates. We shall see. He doesn't have a high OBP that the Sox like, but then again, neither does Salty. His OBP was inflated last season because of a career high BAvg.

The Sox stick with their plan and thake the short term deal with the high AAV, and they do not block Swihart or Vazquez' path to the majors. The downside is that the Sox may need 2 catchers next season as both Pier and Ross will be free agents, and Swihart and Vazquez still may not be ready.

- Nathan to Detroit seemed like a no-brainer all along, though I don't like overpaying for closers. This is an upgrade for Detroit, but closer was actually one of the better parts of their bullpen last season. They need to fortify set up and middle relief.

- It will be interesting to see how Mattingly uses Wilson and Jansen. Smart money sticks with Jansen at closer, but this is Don Mattingly and not Tony La Russa we're talking about. Since money is no object, the Dodgers bullpen gets better.

- I don't like overpaying for closers, so when you have to pay a guy that doesn't get K's like Jim Johnson over $10mm, I think it is a bad deal. Yes, he fills a need, but in the end, it is just a major league pitcher getting three outs with a lead. Ho-Hum.

- Hanigan is one of the better defensive catchers and pitch framers in the league, and he now pairs with one of the best in Jose Molina. These attributes help a pitching staff and team more than any boxscore could ever show. Tampa is very smart.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Think about it. There are more than 300 million people in the United States. Yet, less than 500 people—just 10 of whom are African American—have a vote after being issued a membership card from the Baseball Writers Association of America after 10 consecutive years of Major League Baseball coverage. For sure, it’s not easy to obtain.

I admit I'm probably reading into that a bit too much. But...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- A's get Jim Johnson
- Hanigan traded to Rays

My take:

- I already thought Detroit weakened their team with the Fielder/Kinsler swap. They just made it worse. While we still have to see what they do with the money saved, Detroit will still likely come out a weaker team.

The Tigers have Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, and now Porcello, and Smyly. While Smyly may be a decent starter, they lose his production from their bullpen. They better hope Sanchez stays healthy. I don't see any of these trades as making it easier to extend Scherzer, either. They have to pay Kinsler $62mm over the next 4 years, and then start paying Texas $6mm a season starting in 2016.

-Piezynski wasn't my preferred option, but he carries a good bat. Reports say he is an A-hole, but an unnamed teammate said just yesterday that it is the other team that dislikes Pierzynski, and he was well liked by his teammates. We shall see. He doesn't have a high OBP that the Sox like, but then again, neither does Salty. His OBP was inflated last season because of a career high BAvg.

The Sox stick with their plan and thake the short term deal with the high AAV, and they do not block Swihart or Vazquez' path to the majors. The downside is that the Sox may need 2 catchers next season as both Pier and Ross will be free agents, and Swihart and Vazquez still may not be ready.

- Nathan to Detroit seemed like a no-brainer all along, though I don't like overpaying for closers. This is an upgrade for Detroit, but closer was actually one of the better parts of their bullpen last season. They need to fortify set up and middle relief.

- It will be interesting to see how Mattingly uses Wilson and Jansen. Smart money sticks with Jansen at closer, but this is Don Mattingly and not Tony La Russa we're talking about. Since money is no object, the Dodgers bullpen gets better.

- I don't like overpaying for closers, so when you have to pay a guy that doesn't get K's like Jim Johnson over $10mm, I think it is a bad deal. Yes, he fills a need, but in the end, it is just a major league pitcher getting three outs with a lead. Ho-Hum.

- Hanigan is one of the better defensive catchers and pitch framers in the league, and he now pairs with one of the best in Jose Molina. These attributes help a pitching staff and team more than any boxscore could ever show. Tampa is very smart.
Hanigan struggled offensively last year, but he did have a wrist injury. From 09-12, he had a line of .275/.370/.359 (97 OPS+). He's not going to get very many extra bases, but a .370 OBP from a catcher is nice.

Really wish the Sox could have traded for him. Oh well. Not surprised a team like the Rays would pick him up. Bastards.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I'm probably reading into that a bit too much. But...

My first reading comprehention FAIL of the day. I hope it will be my last.

And, what an odd place and time to make that comment? Is it supposed to start a dialog or just create an issue where there otherwise is not one?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- A's get Jim Johnson
- Hanigan traded to Rays

My take:

Very well put and said. Save for the Mattingly comment, as I am fairly sure it was not he that signed Brandon League, whos contract pretty much made slotting him as their closer last year a given. I could very easily be wrong on that, but I will stick with it until proven otherwise.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanigan struggled offensively last year, but he did have a wrist injury. From 09-12, he had a line of .275/.370/.359 (97 OPS+). He's not going to get very many extra bases, but a .370 OBP from a catcher is nice.

Really wish the Sox could have traded for him. Oh well. Not surprised a team like the Rays would pick him up. Bastards.

The Sox have a similar defensive guy in Ross, though Hanigan has the higher OBP. Hanigan is also tough to strike out. I think he K's every 12 AB's or so.

Do you think Salty is kicking himself a little? I can understand him wanting as many years as possible, but if it is a question of getting only two years with maybe a higher AAV to sign with Boston, or getting 3 years and having to go to Florida or Minnesota, how do you not pick Boston? I am trying to look at this objectively.

You go from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park and go from a team you just won a WS with to either of two teams that stand a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing one as much as winning one over the course of your contract.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well put and said. Save for the Mattingly comment, as I am fairly sure it was not he that signed Brandon League, whos contract pretty much made slotting him as their closer last year a given. I could very easily be wrong on that, but I will stick with it until proven otherwise.

That is true, but he didn't have to make him the closer. He let the contract dictate that.

A lot is made of what happened to the Dodgers after Puig arrived and Hanley was healthy, but what happened to that team after Jansen was annointed the closer?

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Beltran reportedly has a 3yr/$48mm offer on the table from some team. It could be the Royals.

That would be a nice get for the Royals, but not if they have to offset the salary by trading Billy Butler. IMO, that would make the offensive output a near wash.

The A's also acquire Craig Gentry from the Rangers. Don't the A's already have a glut of OF's?

I wonder if the Rangers make a push for Ellsbury or Choo. They have now seen Murphy and Gentry go, and have a gaping hole in LF. Choo could play LF, and Martin could slide to LF to allow Ellsbury to play CF. Hmmm...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox have a similar defensive guy in Ross, though Hanigan has the higher OBP. Hanigan is also tough to strike out. I think he K's every 12 AB's or so.

Do you think Salty is kicking himself a little? I can understand him wanting as many years as possible, but if it is a question of getting only two years with maybe a higher AAV to sign with Boston, or getting 3 years and having to go to Florida or Minnesota, how do you not pick Boston? I am trying to look at this objectively.

You go from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park and go from a team you just won a WS with to either of two teams that stand a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing one as much as winning one over the course of your contract.

Smells then like a money grab. He will not be the first, nor will he be the last......