• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Good Read... leadership

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://medium.com/the-cauldron/in-the-windy-city-its-all-about-leadership-ba9b26fc6a9d

Mark Twain once wrote that Satan said to a newcomer in hell, “The trouble with you Chicago people is that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.”

In reality, the road to hell is paved with the bright intentions of those who live in Chicago — one of the most magnificent and most flawed cities in the world. That dichotomy applies to its people, it architecture, its art, its politics, and most of all, its sports.

And when it comes to #Hot[Anything]Takes in Chicago, it’s all about the leadership — or lack thereof, actually. Under the guise of his “leadership,” we are likely to re-elect a Democratic mayor who we all seem to hate — after just electing a Republican Governor we’re going to end up hating. Of course, we hated all their predecessors as well.

Chicagoans’ present bitching du jour involves the flesh-eating disease that is the Chicago Bears, and the honest-to-goodness title contender that is the Chicago Bulls.

All hellish roads lead to Jay Cutler because he is no leader. So says nine out of ten Bears’ fans — and that’s only because the tenth fan is too inebriated to chime in. Why is Cutler not a leader? Because he’s not a winner, they say. The reason he’s not a winner, of course, is because … he sucks.

Pointing out that Cutler is having arguably the finest statistical season of his career (on pace for his best completion percentage and passer rating) is a logical approach to refuting the vague arguments against him. They’re vague because logic doesn’t apply to the caller to the sports radio station or the angry YouTuber burning a number 6 jersey.

Cutler is certainly worthy of some constructive criticism. He wasn’t acquired from the Broncos to be average, and not even his dozen or so ardent supporters can say he’s been great as a Bear. He forces throws, he holds the ball too long, franchise hero Brian Urlacher hates him, and he is complacent in not vaccinating his kids. But he is a better QB than Jimmy Clausen, WHO 75% OF POLLEES WANT TO START AGAINST THE VIKINGS THIS COMING SUNDAY. Because Clausen doesn’t have punch-me-face whatsoever like Cutler.

What is the barrier between the fans and not having to make the Bears woes about Cutler? Pandering media, of course. Peter King this week went with the painfully easy bad body language trope that has followed Cutler his whole career. “I don’t ask Cutler to throw a helmet or knock over the Gatorade table,” writes the biggest name in NFL writing. “I just ask him to care. Or to at least look like he cares.”

Pretend, Jay. Lie to us. Be what you’re not. We absolutely promise not to be hypocrites if we see you yelling at people on the field. And that way the losing will somehow feel better. That or we’ll have to find another player scapegoat. Brandon Marshall is a touch bothersome. He may do. Either way. Just be the someone you’re not — that we want you to be — until we don’t want you to be that anymore. It’s all fairly simple.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...It’s a narrative that is so old and tired around here.

Marc Trestman—who was unorthodox and quirky and weird in a good way when first hired—isn’t fiery enough and is too convoluted with the media… so we were better off with Lovie Smith, who we hated for not being fiery enough and was too curt with the media… preceded by Dick Jauron, who also wasn’t fiery enough and had the podium presence equivalent of a prostate health seminar.

Tom Thibodeau is too intense and a cyborg whose phasers are set to “DESTROY” at all times. Robin Ventura is too boring. Joe Maddon is unorthodox and weird and quirky in a good way. Until the Cubs don’t make the playoffs in 2015. Joel Quenneville has won two Stanley Cups in Chicago and still gets roasted for his decisions by the acerbic Blackhawks blogs.

Frank Thomas was seen by many as a selfish curmudgeon during much of his tenure with the White Sox. Jose Abreu is a quiet leader… unless his numbers drop. Then he best start speaking English. Alfonso Soriano — who put up decent-to-good numbers and never chided fans or media — was nothing more than his bad contract that he forced the Cubs at gunpoint to give him. Starlin Castro being hard on himself after repeated brain farts doesn’t make him a leader. Anthony Rizzo, though, challenging the Cincinnati Reds to fight him — that’s leadership, damn it.

It’s pretty difficult to take seriously the repeated criticisms of leadership and what it takes to actually be a team leader in this town when the definition itself is borderline schizophrenic. As is the case in hell, even a sports hell like Chicago, the most popular opinion probably isn’t the best.

Though, come to think of it, when was the last time Satan won a championship? Why aren’t we talking about his locker room presence and job security?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to post the link- don't know why it didn't show up... I can't disagree with much in here... I know it's long, but it's a great read. IMO.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a couple different articles this past week one was from Q, the other Trestman. Just reading em individually got me thinking "well, there's one way of dealing with struggles, and another way which seems to be just sticking your head in the sand..."

From Q
“We had a real tough stretch there,” Quenneville said. “Our production was down, our record was poor, we lost some games we had no business losing. We felt in games we did a lot of good things and didn’t get the results. We’re a results-driven business, so we made the change. We don’t make changes when things are going well, so we’ll see.”

Then there's Trestman...
"[Bears coach Marc] Trest[man] said, 'We’re not going to change just for change,'" Cutler said. "There are times where you say, 'Hey, we need some new plays. We’ve got to find some new stuff. Let’s try to get some guys open different ways.' There’s some stuff we would watch on film, and even when we’re struggling we’re still getting guys open. We’re still doing good things."

I'm not saying that Q treats his players equally-he doesn't. Versteeg serves up a pizza early in the game he doesn't see the ice the rest of the period. Kane does almost the same damn thing and his TOI is barely affected. They all seem to get the message that sub-par isn't acceptable though.

The bears otoh are just a damn train wreck. No accountability in ANY facet of the team it seems like.

Maybe i'm just rambling after bein up 36 hours lol, but I thought it was interesting.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that Q treats his players equally-he doesn't. Versteeg serves up a pizza early in the game he doesn't see the ice the rest of the period. Kane does almost the same damn thing and his TOI is barely affected. They all seem to get the message that sub-par isn't acceptable though.

The bears otoh are just a damn train wreck. No accountability in ANY facet of the team it seems like.

Agreed. Q has the respect and weight of 2 championships... Trestman has a losing record, odd hair, and terrible way of non-explaining over-explanations. He's not "Chicago Tough"... and is a nerd. Not respected by fans at this point. (and will take a GREAT deal to ever get out that thought process with fans ...rightfully so at this point) I can't defend him. Won't.

But doesn't this article- by Tim Bafoe btw... does make some great points. Chicago fans don't want to know the way they think is wrong or misguided in anyway. This is why Cutler meme's and national media headlines like Peter King writes are so embraced in this city.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup. Sadly the meatheads outweigh the ones that can actually think.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you've never been to Texas, Joey.