• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A good Kerry Fraser story

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure mbhhofr has some great tales along similar lines - The following taken from the Hockey News:

We only have space this week for one anecdote and its principal is one-time NHL pugilist Jim McKenzie, a journeyman who amassed 1,739 penalty minutes for nine teams during a 14-year NHL career.

At the time of the incident, McKenzie was a rookie toiling for the Hartford Whalers and, following the final buzzer of the final game of the season, he waited for everyone to leave the ice, including all trainers, then approached Fraser.

“He said to me, very quietly, ‘Kerry, if I told you to f--- off, would you give me a 10-minute misconduct?’ ” Fraser recalled. “It was a nothing game, nobody was mad, and Jim was such a gentle giant, a bona fide respectful tough guy. I laughed and said, ‘You’re kidding, right?’

“He said, ‘Kerry, I’ve got a bonus in my contract for penalty minutes, I’m four minutes short, and the f---ing coach never played me one shift tonight.’

“I said, ‘What did you say?’

“He said, ‘f--- off.’

“I said, ‘Say it like you mean it.’

“He said, ‘F--- OFF!!!!’ ”

“I said, ‘YOU GOT 10!!’ ”

“He said, ‘Thank you’ and he went up the hall, happy as a pig in sh--.”

It’s that kind of chronicle, Fraser says, that humanizes the game, its players and officials and, when re-told, creates a closer connection with the fans. And it’s the type of tale that recurs in his book.

“It’s the stuff Slap Shot was made out of,” he says. “It’s stuff you’d say, ‘That couldn’t happen.’ Well, it did.”

The Hockey News: Jason Kay's blog: THN.com Blog: The night Kerry Fraser gave enforcer Jim McKenzie a bonus

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was great. Good for Fraser to help him out.

Little OT but reminds me of when the Detroit Tigers fucked Jack Morris out of his bonus. He had a clause to start x amount of games. The Tigers shut him down before he reached x amount and boned him out of the bonus.

I don't remember the resolution, i assume he filed a grievance.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
lol... nice story.
I always enjoy Jim McKenzie when he's on OTR

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a great story

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was one fantastic fucking story!!! I still think Kerry is a woman though.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Think I might get his book. Something I'm missing tho - how do you get a penalty after the final buzzer? I know that's not the point, but...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I might get his book. Something I'm missing tho - how do you get a penalty after the final buzzer? I know that's not the point, but...

You see misconducts at 20:00 of the third fairly regularly for stuff that happens after the final whistle.

That one seems a bit odd; good on Kerry though.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs fans are still not over the Gretzky high stick in game 7 back in 1993 that Fraser either missed or refused to call...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it when Mike Vernon (as a member of the Sharks) went behind the net to stop a clear by the PK (Sharks were on the PP iirc) and then sent a high hard one up to a player at the blue line that went off of the corner boards glass right where Fraser was standing, but just over Kerry Fraser's head. Kerry just looked at Vernon and they smiled devilishly at each other. I can't remember, but I think that Fraser called a penalty on Vernon that he didn't like too much earlier in the game. Vernon kind of looked at Fraser like "I could have made that puck go a foot lower if I had wanted to....it didn't need to be a warning shot" lol.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs fans are still not over the Gretzky high stick in game 7 back in 1993 that Fraser either missed or refused to call...

Me neither.....might have gotten Felix Potvin a Stanley Cup :(

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it when Mike Vernon (as a member of the Sharks) went behind the net to stop a clear by the PK (Sharks were on the PP iirc) and then sent a high hard one up to a player at the blue line that went off of the corner boards glass right where Fraser was standing, but just over Kerry Fraser's head. Kerry just looked at Vernon and they smiled devilishly at each other. I can't remember, but I think that Fraser called a penalty on Vernon that he didn't like too much earlier in the game. Vernon kind of looked at Fraser like "I could have made that puck go a foot lower if I had wanted to....it didn't need to be a warning shot" lol.

I thought that happened when Vernon was a RedWing in a playoff game? I definitely remember ol' Vernon ringing one of the glass near a ref, but I can't remember which ref it was. Could Vernon have done it once as a Shark and as a Wing?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that happened when Vernon was a RedWing in a playoff game? I definitely remember ol' Vernon ringing one of the glass near a ref, but I can't remember which ref it was. Could Vernon have done it once as a Shark and as a Wing?

Could have been WW, but I'm reasonably confident it at least happened as a Shark once (if it in fact did happen as a Wing as well). I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.