• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few thoughts on "A New Direction"...the Hokies may be heading towards...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

1. This is a significant upgrade for a couple of reasons. First, and most obvious, is that it tremendously helps on the recruiting front. Now, I have said before that the guys that we get are fantastic, because they "get it" and are no frills boys who come to work. That being said, guys like Travis Hughes and Landon Turner should never even get a chance to visit UNC. They need to be locked up by someone tenacious. In addition, the Carolinas are full of prospects (cough, Keith Marshall) and Virginia Tech is SIGNIFICANTLY better than any of the programs down there and should be able to pick and chose players from there.

Additionally, as far as I know, Billy Hite has no restrictions on how much time he can spend in film study and in coaching. His only restriction is on recruiting trips (which he really does not do anymore anyway). He will have a big hand in working with Beamer, Kevin Jones and the running backs.

In conclusion, we essentially keep Hite on as a coach but get to replace him as a recruiter.

2. I have also said before that I do not think that Bud Foster is the heir apparent to Frank Beamer that a lot of people think he is. The one time that Frank had to miss a game, Hite and not Foster stood in for him. There is a reason that he has not gotten any of the jobs that he has interviewed for (Clemson and Pitt most recently). He may move on, but I do not see him as the HC in Blacksburg. Having Shane Beamer and Torrian Gray in the mix make me more comfortable with this potential loss for a reason that I will get to in a second.

3. This may not be the last move this season. Two other sore thumbs stick out, from a recruiting standpoint, along the Virginia Tech sideline. One of those coaches a unit that is underwhelming and that is Curt Newsome. The other, Mike O'Cain has actually done well in the QB department, in my opinion. Tyrod certainly evolved quite well under him. However he is not much of a recruiter. It would not completely shock me if one of these two guys are replaced as well. I do not expect a new O Line coach as much as a new guy brought in and a reshuffling of responsibilities.

4. Jim Cavanaugh is coaching his last season, IMO. I love the guy, absolutely love him. If you have ever met him or heard him speak, he is great. That being said, he is tired. RC is not an easy job and he may be heading to an office next to Billy Hite soon. That leaves open a coaching spot for Whips/Rovers. This, IMO, is where Shane will end up in the long run. The combination of he and Gray coaching our seconday spots and Charlie Wiles on our D Line makes the potential loss of Foster easier to stomach. I think that one of those two guys are the next VT coach.

5. I mentioned some more new blood. Along with Kevin Jones coming in as a GA and working with the running backs, a few other names are all over the rumor mill. These include the usual suspects (Friedgen and Harris) along with a few other guys you should keep your "google news" eyes on. They may be getting significant interest from some of our conference foes and this may push the issue of Beamer finding a spot for them.

Oberlin College - 2009 Football Coaching Staff

Calgary Stampeders - Team - Football Operations

Both of these guys have GA experience at tech and strong ties to this coaching staff. Both also have NFL experience (hell one has a super bowl ring as a starter) and magnetic personalities.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.

I noticed (prob intentionally) that the word Stinespring was not used here but a reference to other coaches were made. Do you think a similar / lateral move will be made with Stinenut? If so, how strong do you think of a chance that this will be?

I hope at least at a minimum the OL coach is overhauled as you suggest may happen. :)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.

I noticed (prob intentionally) that the word Stinespring was not used here but a reference to other coaches were made. Do you think a similar / lateral move will be made with Stinenut? If so, how strong do you think of a chance that this will be?

I hope at least at a minimum the OL coach is overhauled as you suggest may happen. :)

My projected coaching staff for 2015 (total projection)

HC: Frank Beamer
OC: Ralph Friedgen
QBC: Mike O'Cain
RBC: Lee Suggs
WRC: Kevin Sherman
OLC/TEC: Bryan Stinespring *

DC/LBC: Bud Foster
DBC: Torrian Gray
WRC: Shane Beamer #
DLC: Charlie Wiles

*Associate Head Coach
#Recruiting Coordinator

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the free side of Rivals yesterday and there were several Gamecock fans on there absolutely gushing about Shane and wishing him well. Nothing I didn't expect or already know, but it was still nice to see. They were all talking about what a genuine guy he is and how he is proof that even in the SEC, it was possible to snag big-time recruits simply by being honest and up-front with people. I know that is how VT recruits, but I'm excited about pumping new life and energy on the recruiting front.
It's also refreshing, because I had been reading several Hokie fans lamenting the fact that we didn't go after Chris Beatty (snake oil salesman, IMO) earlier. I guess now we know why, and we will be so much better for it.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this is from a blog in The Roanoke Times today. Just more smoke that another change may be coming.

"Don’t be shocked if Frank Beamer’s hiring of his son, Shane, isn’t the only change made on Virginia Tech’s football coaching staff.

A major contributor to the Hokies’ program, speaking only if his name were not used, told me late Monday night that he’s hearing another change — or changes — will be made soon.

Yes, Tech’s staff has been so cemented under Beamer that such news is surprising. However, if long-timer Billy Hite can be moved out of the everyday fold, who’s to say that others can’t be on the next moving van rolling out of Blacksburg.

So stay tuned, folks."

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, this is from a blog in The Roanoke Times today. Just more smoke that another change may be coming.

"Don’t be shocked if Frank Beamer’s hiring of his son, Shane, isn’t the only change made on Virginia Tech’s football coaching staff.

A major contributor to the Hokies’ program, speaking only if his name were not used, told me late Monday night that he’s hearing another change — or changes — will be made soon.

Yes, Tech’s staff has been so cemented under Beamer that such news is surprising. However, if long-timer Billy Hite can be moved out of the everyday fold, who’s to say that others can’t be on the next moving van rolling out of Blacksburg.

So stay tuned, folks."

Was Hite's move not based on his vision problems?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So stay tuned, folks."

my thoughts yesterday was that this shows that maybe they are realizing some changes need to be made, and if Beamer wants a NC before he retires...he needs to make those changes sooner than later.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't know that Suggs was coaching at obland. For his sake we need to get him out of there, it's not a football environment.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Hite's move not based on his vision problems?

Yeah, I didn't care for that part of the blog. I think Randy King was out of line, and just wrong, with that comment, but that's never stopped them before. I just posted it because it was additional speculation that more changes could be happening soon.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I didn't care for that part of the blog. I think Randy King was out of line, and just wrong, with that comment, but that's never stopped them before. I just posted it because it was additional speculation that more changes could be happening soon.

I've grown pretty tired of King. He barely writes anything these days, and I don't go to the site to learn of the condition of his car.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hite was moved because he wanted to be off the recruiting trail and the timing was right. had Shane gone to Bama, getting him to come back would have been exponentially more difficult. That being said Hite is an amazing guy and deserves the lucrative new job he has.

...oh and grandmas want to be near grandbabies!!!!

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the same article by King, I like Shane's take on his coaching gig. I am extremely excited for this. Especially when I hear this from him...

It’s no biggie when it comes to coaching up running backs, he said.

”To me, coaching is coaching and it’s all about being able to teach and I’ve been fortunate I’ve been on the defensive side of the ball most of my career, but from that I feel like I can bring something to the table,” Beamer said.

“I’ve been in charge of trying to defend offenses for most of my career and I know what hurts it, and I know things that give different things that give different schemes trouble. I’ve got experience dealing with running backs and pass protection and all that stuff.

“I think there are a lot of guys who have gone that route. Mike Tomlin [Pittsburgh Steelers head coach] is a defensive coach and he was a wide receivers coach at VMI. And Josh McDaniel, the ex-head coach of the [Denver] Broncos, he was a defensive coach [before] and then became the [New England] Patriots offensive coordinator.

“So I think there’s something to be said about being to coach on both sides of the ball, and I’ve done that.”

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the later of the two you posted 46 may be making his way back home soon.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The free side of TSL isn't very reliable, but somebody posted there a few minutes ago that Cornell Brown interviewed for the DL coaching position at UNC. The thought of that just makes my stomach turn.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cornell Brown to replace Cavanaugh?

The free side of TSL isn't very reliable, but somebody posted there a few minutes ago that Cornell Brown interviewed for the DL coaching position at UNC. The thought of that just makes my stomach turn.

DING DING DING!!!!!!

I don't think the interview has happened yet, but UNC is interested and Beamer and company will not let that happen.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DING DING DING!!!!!!

I don't think the interview has happened yet, but UNC is interested and Beamer and company will not let that happen.

Unless this is all part of an evil plan to infiltrate the dirty Hole coaching staff. Muwhahahahahahahaha:eek:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless this is all part of an evil plan to infiltrate the dirty Hole coaching staff. Muwhahahahahahahaha:eek:

simpsons_mr_burns_excellent.jpg

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Damn i tried to post about 10 paragraphs but for some reason i had to refresh the page and it wouldnt post??? so heres a quick summary.

The Hite move came due to a combination of a few things, His health (eyes&age), family, and smart thinking by our administration. Like 46 said hite basically gets to keep doing what he's been doing and we add another great coach to our staff. Grandmomma beamer may have played a role in convincing frank but dont underestimate the power of the HokieClub either.

There were talks about Cav stepping down long before the hite news came out ( im not just talking MB's either). So if he makes it 'til next season i would fully expect that to be his last.

Our guys are out until the end of the week so there is basically nothing we can do to keep Cornell away from butch davis. Lets just hope if he does interview that butch chooses someone else or at worst maybe he goes there for a year and comes back when a spot opens up.

This is speculation but a while back we were told that there would be a big announcement on tech talk live (the radio show) there was nothing really ground breaking that came out on the show, but guess who was a guest: Cornell Brown. Maybe there was something that was supposed to happen then that didnt come through? Maybe that something can happen now/soon? idk.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
2 more things:

I really hope we can keep cornell away from butch, but if i had to guess i would say that the interview will most likely happen. <-- hope like hell im dead wrong.

And not to thread jack but does anyone else get the feeling that Frank is a little fed up and ready to roll up the sleeves and put his heart and back into it one more time? Lets be honest folks we are watching the end of an era, and as much as we like to believe frank is hoe-hum and awe shucks he also likes to win and seems like he really wants to win the big one before he goes out. IMO no one deserves it more!