• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A deal is done with Alex Smith / 49ers increased offer from previous deal by $1M gtd

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I feel that I'm alone here, but this makes me happy. I have pros and cons for signing Alex and for signing him now versus later.

Pros for the Niners - there's no way that the Niners would up there offer this quickly, so if we're close to signing, then it'll be a deal where it is soft on the cap. This potentially could give a chance to Kaep to compete and beat Smith. Once we sign Smith, we'll have time to focus on other things and pursue other players for other positions (which it seems like we've been doing). It means no 5 TD, 10 INT Josh Johnson. We finally get to see what Smith is made of with continuity in a great system with a great coach. That has never been the case here, even that one year we had continuity. We finally should be able to shut up about the receiving corp, even if Moss is no guarantee, for awhile defenses won't know that.

Pros for Smith - He can get this over with, the money isn't important as he has enough. The truth is no matter how easy financially it is to replace him, if he works hard and produces good numbers and wins, he won't be replaced. The sooner this phase is over, the sooner he can either actually have time to relax for the start of the offseason and/or study the playbook. He can proceed with a chip on his shoulder - not for "how could they think Manning was better" but rather the secrecy, etc. Smith has the best offense supporting cast he's ever had, more confidence than ever (though this incident may have lightened it), and everyone around him is one year more ready (unfortunately for him, Kaep too - but competition makes people better).

This has not been a good week. No Manning. Still get Smith, but now not upbeat Smith. If you're going to have him anyway, we'd like to start off where we stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its the deal that was reported then i will be fine with this. Alex will grab the starters job with a better knowledge of the palybook and more weapons on the team. Harbaugh will be buddy buddy again and pronounce alex the guy, but secretly he knows and alex will know Kap will be breathing down his neck.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I feel that I'm alone here, but this makes me happy. I have pros and cons for signing Alex and for signing him now versus later.

Pros for the Niners - there's no way that the Niners would up there offer this quickly, so if we're close to signing, then it'll be a deal where it is soft on the cap. This potentially could give a chance to Kaep to compete and beat Smith. Once we sign Smith, we'll have time to focus on other things and pursue other players for other positions (which it seems like we've been doing). It means no 5 TD, 10 INT Josh Johnson. We finally get to see what Smith is made of with continuity in a great system with a great coach. That has never been the case here, even that one year we had continuity. We finally should be able to shut up about the receiving corp, even if Moss is no guarantee, for awhile defenses won't know that.

Pros for Smith - He can get this over with, the money isn't important as he has enough. The truth is no matter how easy financially it is to replace him, if he works hard and produces good numbers and wins, he won't be replaced. The sooner this phase is over, the sooner he can either actually have time to relax for the start of the offseason and/or study the playbook. He can proceed with a chip on his shoulder - not for "how could they think Manning was better" but rather the secrecy, etc. Smith has the best offense supporting cast he's ever had, more confidence than ever (though this incident may have lightened it), and everyone around him is one year more ready (unfortunately for him, Kaep too - but competition makes people better).

This has not been a good week. No Manning. Still get Smith, but now not upbeat Smith. If you're going to have him anyway, we'd like to start off where we stopped.

I'm sure he's pissed, but this should motivate him to play even better.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lombardi reports the deal is almost finalized and an announcement will be made shortly

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A deal is done

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im happy, he was great for us last year and he came up huge against the Saints with his huge run and pass. 3 years and $24 million is a good deal for both sides

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good move to bring him back... gives Kap more practice time and hopefully blossoms...

now Alex, finish what we started!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mindi Bach:

Harbaugh says "nothing's changed" as far as Alex Smith being his guy but won't comment on negotiations #49ers

Jim Harbaugh emerges from the building: on Alex Smith says "strong relationship as always" #49ers

-----

Eric Branch:

Jim Harbaugh on his relationship with Alex Smith: "It's a very strong relationship." #49ers

Is Alex Smith still Jim Harbaugh's guy? "Nothing's changed," Harbaugh said. #49ers

------

Maiocco:

Jim Harbaugh did not confirm Alex Smith deal, citing ongoing negotiations. But said "nothing has changed," as far as Smith being "our guy."

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh described his rapport with Alex Smith as "a strong relationship, as always."

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No surprise here. I think it's the right move for right now. Unlike Clyde, I think QBs can learn quite a bit on the bench, so I'm content to let Kaepernick sit for another year or two. If he's the QB of the future, he'll make it so we can't ignore him. And Smith finally has a chance to build on a pretty good year with a second year in the same offense. Should be interesting. Hopefully no hard feelings. I think Alex is reasonable enough to grasp the situation. Especially after we've watched the team let several guys walk in somewhat surprising fashion.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise here. I think it's the right move for right now. Unlike Clyde, I think QBs can learn on the bench, so I'm content to let Kaepernick sit for another year or two. If he's the QB of the future, he'll make it so we can't ignore him. And Smith finally has a chance to build on a pretty good year with a second year in the same offense. Should be interesting. Hopefully no hard feelings. I think Alex is reasonable enough to grasp the situation. Especially after we've watched the team let several guys walk in somewhat surprising fashion.

I never said QBs can't learn on the bench. Up to a point, though, as a player you have to get on the field in a real time game to develop.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So does anyone know the specifics of the clause that says he'll only get 3 million if he's beaten out as the starter? Anyone know what exactly has to happen?

I'd love to have Alex as a backup QB for 3 million a year. I'd be fine with that. It would be the team's one saving grace.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move. It's the safe move and it is the smart move. Right now we know that we have a QB that is capable of making it to the NFC Championship as the starter. We've added more weapons for him to work with and this should increase his productivity dramatically. It could possibly get us over the hump and into the big one. I'm sure the contract will be set up in a way that if Alex lays an egg then we will be just fine with moving on to Kaep if we do believe he is the guy for the future.

It will be interesting to see how Kaep performs in preseason and training camp but I honestly don't see there being a QB competition. I think Smith will be handed the job outright which should happen at this point IMO.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move. It's the safe move and it is the smart move. Right now we know that we have a QB that is capable of making it to the NFC Championship as the starter. We've added more weapons for him to work with and this should increase his productivity dramatically. It could possibly get us over the hump and into the big one. I'm sure the contract will be set up in a way that if Alex lays an egg then we will be just fine with moving on to Kaep if we do believe he is the guy for the future.

It will be interesting to see how Kaep performs in preseason and training camp but I honestly don't see there being a QB competition. I think Smith will be handed the job outright which should happen at this point IMO.

+1

It's hard to argue that we aren't a much better team already. Alex will have a full training camp and will still have that chip on his shoulder to go out there and prove his worth.

Maybe this worked out for the best. I'm still feeling very confident about this season. We can always go after Hoyer next season as well. I think he's going to be next years Matt Flynn.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he's pissed, but this should motivate him to play even better.

Sure that's sounds nice, but how many times do people have to shit on him for him to reach his potential?? I mean, he should have been motivated after Nolan threw him under the bus. Then again after the entire stadium and Singletary choosing Carr over him. At this point the guy has about 8 chips on his shoulder. He made some strides last year, but I don't know if the motivation from being spurned is something I would bank on.