• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A deal is done with Alex Smith / 49ers increased offer from previous deal by $1M gtd

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said QBs can't learn on the bench. Up to a point, though, as a player you have to get on the field in a real time game to develop.

rodgers sat for 3 years and came out playing amazing. pennington sat a while as well and came up huge.

even elway looked like crap when he started early on. while others play well like matt ryan only to regress for 2 and a half years.

at the end of the day, a qb will develop either way. the question is, do u want to watch a young qb make his mistakes while learning during the week or on sundays while the losses pile up?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad, now time to look to the draft and a RG.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like glenn, konz and zeitler are gonna be gone by the time we are up :(

I doubt all 3 are gone. Zeitler may still be available. Maybe Baalke can call Mclueless for advice on the only good thing he was ever able to do. Get us extra 1st round picks.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trading back into the 2nd could be a good choice. zeitler looks green bay bound. looks like we might have to make due with what we have currently on the line.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stating the obvious here but this is his make or break season. If he faceplants or doesn't improve then he will wind up a career backup moving forward. He'll need to come out guns blazing this season IMO. He's gonna have to air it out and consistently hit Moss and Manningham deep instead of just Davis. I'm expecting 30 TDs and 12 INTs this season with 3800+ yards passing.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stating the obvious here but this is his make or break season. If he faceplants or doesn't improve then he will wind up a career backup moving forward. He'll need to come out guns blazing this season IMO. He's gonna have to air it out and consistently hit Moss and Manningham deep instead of just Davis. I'm expecting 30 TDs and 12 INTs this season with 3800+ yards passing.[/QUOTE]

And I'm expecting a blowjob from Adriana Lima but it don't mean it will happen....

:behindsofa:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm expecting a career season and a new TE TD record for vernon. hunter should have lots of room to run on dump offs and he's dangerous in space.

not sure if we'll see 30 tds and 3800 yards, but 25 and 3500 is a realistic expectation.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna see Smith take more chances when the opportunity presents itself. Even if it means a few more INTs.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna see Smith take more chances when the opportunity presents itself. Even if it means a few more INTs.

Yeah I agree. He hasn't seemed to shy away from taking chances when Vernon is the target. I think maybe with Moss and Manningham he might have couple of WR he can trust in to take those chances. Plus another year removed from Singletary and being worried about taking chances/making mistakes I honestly think will help. We shall see...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Agreed.

Hopefully the play calling will be more aggressive as well and it shouldn't be in sheer desperation that both Smith and the play calling becomes aggressive.

I mean if we're going to hold his hand and play passive then there was no reason to bring him back and we should've just went with CK.

I think we should've went with CK anyways because I agree that the bench can only teach you so much but I don't think CK has hit the limits of what he can learn from the bench so I don't think another year of him sitting on it is going to kill him or be a waste.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stating the obvious here but this is his make or break season. If he faceplants or doesn't improve then he will wind up a career backup moving forward. He'll need to come out guns blazing this season IMO. He's gonna have to air it out and consistently hit Moss and Manningham deep instead of just Davis. I'm expecting 30 TDs and 12 INTs this season with 3800+ yards passing.

I think that's reasonable actually. With Moss and Manningham he should be able to get more productivity from his mid range and deep passes. It should also open up other opportunities for VD. He was hitting Vernon in stride in the playoffs and now we have more red zone targets.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm expecting 30 TDs and 12 INTs this season with 3800+ yards passing.

Not with Manningham consistently running the wrong routes, Moss being a shell of his former self who has been out of football for a year, and Crabtree being, well, Crabtree.

I'm sorry to say, but our WR corps could be really bad this year. Manning could have probably helped, but obviously we're riding the Alex bus again. The sad thing is that I have the most confidence in Kyle Williams, but he will be buried in the depth chart when he was the one who stepped up and proved to be a threat to move the chains (outside of VD, obviously) as the season progressed and the rest of the receivers battled injuries or ineffectiveness.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and did I mention that Harbaugh's Niners aren't really a "throw for 4000 yards" kind of football team?

The Niners were moments away from a Superbowl birth with Alex being a better Dilfer than Trent Dilfer ever was. The Niners don't need to reinvent the wheel and try to imitate Green Bay or the Saints because Alex would be exposed. They need to stay with what works, and what works is strong special teams play and a stifling defense that keeps the offense starting with good field position.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So true. Instead of just throwing at the receivers' feet. He has to trust that his receivers will make plays. If he throws 10 picks, but throws for 28 TDS and 3400 yards, that would be fine.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and did I mention that Harbaugh's Niners aren't really a "throw for 4000 yards" kind of football team?

The Niners were moments away from a Superbowl birth with Alex being a better Dilfer than Trent Dilfer ever was. The Niners don't need to reinvent the wheel and try to imitate Green Bay or the Saints because Alex would be exposed. They need to stay with what works, and what works is strong special teams play and a stifling defense that keeps the offense starting with good field position.

It doesn't mean they won't open up the playbook. The Niners have upgraded the offense with the WR signings and will probably draft another receiver. Alex will have the same OC and should be more comfortable with the offense especially with a full off season.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't mean they won't open up the playbook. The Niners have upgraded the offense with the WR signings and will probably draft another receiver. Alex will have the same OC and should be more comfortable with the offense especially with a full off season.

I guess I never remembered DK as being such an Alex downer before the Manning thing, but I haven't been paying attention I guess. A reasonable downer that is (not a hater). I don't think the Niners would have been semi-aggressive with obtaining receivers this offseason if they weren't trying to get more aggressive with the play-calling. I don't think that we're simply trying to increase the completion percentage, but rather open things up, take some more shots down the field, and give the defense something to think about.

I honestly think this Manning thing will do what Singletary/Nolan could never do. I think the pressure before on Alex was negative pressure with less coaching. This chip on the shoulder is a positive chip on the shoulder, not a prohibitive one, and this one comes with the manual. I know Smith will not become a Favre, but I fully expect him to take shots, as much as a Harbaugh offense does, and I never thought that before. Under Nolan/Singletary and last year, I knew we weren't going to be vertical at all. I agree that this year we will not be Green Bay in efficiency of deep passes, but I don't think Smith will be "exposed."

Alex will be more comfortable and knowledgable of the system. He has improved overall every year he's been in the league, with the 2007 year being mixed due to the injury (and obviously I'm not talking about 2008). Not only stat-wise, but in seeing the field, footwork, etc. he has improved, though still not very good at it. I see the fewer yards per game due to shorter field position, having the lead more often (no garbage time comebacks), a reliable kicker (we've always had this, but this even more in 2011), conservative playcalling (if Harbaugh ignored Alex's weaknesses, we'd have more INTs but also more yards per pass, IMO), the lockout shortened what plays we could know (and therefore shortened YAC or downfield shots), and of course, the struggles on third down and in the red zone. This is all due to the QB in major part, but some of these will be fixed to some degree.

I expect us to have the time and smarts to work on third downs and red zone situations this year. If we can get into the top third in these categories, I think we're SB bound. Maybe even top half. That's how good our defense is.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers sweetened the deal for Alex. More GTD money. So he'll be around for at least 2 more seasons fellas.