• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A deal is done with Alex Smith / 49ers increased offer from previous deal by $1M gtd

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows

Jack Donaghy would have offered Smith $1 dollar @RayEthan408 49ers had the leverage but gave in for feelings repair. I don't like that.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe it was for repaired feelings or maybe it wasn't.

The contract was a fair offer but I could see the Smith angle of it being too low compared to other QB contracts.

Seattle gave Flynn 10 million guaranteed for 2 whole starts and worse of all Sanchez got 3 year extension and something like 20 million guaranteed.

I don't mind bumping the guaranteed money a bit but I wouldn't have gone as high as they did.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers, Smith ki$$ and make up
12:24PM ET
Alex Smith | 49ers

Alex Smith hasn't signed on the dotted line yet, but details of his new contract with the San Francisco 49ers are coming in. Janie McCauley of the Associated Press reports that the three-year deal will pay him $8 million annually; $16.5 million will be guaranteed. In the end, he could make as much as $33 million if he meets all of the escalators in the contract.

As the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows points out, that's a decent bump from the offer the Niners made before their brief dalliance with Peyton Manning. The initial contract would have paid Smith $24 million over three years with just $10 million guaranteed.

"The initial contract offer would have allowed the 49ers to part ways with Smith and hand the offense to understudy Colin Kaepernick midway through the deal," Barrows said. "The revised contract shows more of a commitment to Smith. It's also a show of good faith in what was a sobering negotiating process for Smith."

It's not clear whether the Niners forked over the extra bread and deeper commitment just to keep him from leaving, to make up for flirting with Manning or because they truly wanted to commit to him as their starter for the foreseeable future. What we do know is that Smith is locked in as the starting quarterback for 2012 and now has an improved set of wide receivers in Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and Michael Crabtree as his primary options.

- Tom Carpenter​

I didn't care much about this news of him returning. I guess we'll just have to wait for CK in 2013. Instead of kiss and make up, the title I was looking forward to seeing in regard to Alex:

The Manhattans - Kiss And Say Goodbye - YouTube

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM doesn't think the $16.5 is fully gtd. Alex hasn't signed yet but will shortly.

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I for one am happy with the deal. Alex deserved better.
I'm a big believer in Smitty and think he can get us a SB or two with the right players and coaches around him. And he's got that.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp here we go. I'm not at all surprised that we gave him more money, it honestly shouldn't come to a surprse to anyone. now i can't wait to see wha he does now that he actually has some weapons at WR.

I also think Crabtree is going to have a major bump in production as all the attnetion will be on our other recieving threats.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here is to hoping Alex Smith gets paid 33 Million... since I imagine those escalators are playoff appearance bonuses and some sort of Pro Bowl bonus.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the perfect deal.

Alex doesn't do as much as Manning did for Indianapolis, so he shouldn't be paid as much even if we win the SB. 11 million max reflects that (as a more important Manning gets nearly double that). If we win the SB with Alex as a pro-bowl QB, I think 11 million is what I think he was worth. I don't think that is lowball for a defensive team and it fits the original 2-3 years, 8-11 million per year parameters. If we don't get that, the 8 million was the original deal, representing the low of those parameters. The guaranteed amount reflects the lower of duration. This deal shows good faith but doesn't kill us; I think this would have been the deal without the Manning thing. It wouldn't have been the deal three weeks ago if Alex were too eager to sign.

I think it shows Kaep is not ready necessarily, just may be ready in 2012. 2014 was the original timeline, but I think he's ready earlier (2013 if not 2012). This deal allows earlier. The door is still open to Kaep for 2013 but there's no pressure for him to be ready by then if Alex performs (I think by the end of this offseason he could be ready). I think he will pressure himself, not the FO. You have to remember, they don't want to put Kaep in to replecate Alex, they want to put him to exceed Alex. Giving him more time better assures that, even if he's within the realm of doing so now (which we don't know). I may be wrong, but I think Kaep would replicate, not exceed Alex's 2011 numbers (if you count in rookie TOs) if he played in 2012, but it'd be lower than Alex's 2012 numbers. In 2013, I think he may be able to replicate Alex's 2012 numbers, which I presume will be higher, but Alex may get stuck at 2012 numbers and Kaep could potentially progress from that. I still believe Alex could improve year upon year, I'm just being conservative. Ultimately, having more options is better than fewer.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... not to thrilled with the #s.... but whatever... bring home the Lombardi.. NOW!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's still more than he's worth but he's still cheaper than a lot of starting QBs out there so it's not like the numbers will kill us in terms of the cap.

Also the rest of our QBs are dirt cheap so it's not like the contract forces us to play Smith either if CK happens to emerge as the better option.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp here we go. I'm not at all surprised that we gave him more money, it honestly shouldn't come to a surprse to anyone. now i can't wait to see wha he does now that he actually has some weapons at WR.

I also think Crabtree is going to have a major bump in production as all the attnetion will be on our other recieving threats.

+1

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like he only gets the extra money if he meets some incentives. I'm good with that. I will pay for performance.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex needs to chillax..... it was Peyton HOF Manning for crying out loud. Just freakin relax!

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clutch will show the world why he's elite.

They laughed at Eli and look where he went. Clutch is motivated.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Were you offended that they'd fly cross country to look at Peyton?"

"Not offended at all. In fact, I would've relished the opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job with Peyton Manning."

Alex Smith, throwin down the gauntlet on P.Manning!

I suppose if he can bring half the game this answer suggests he believes he has - then I suppose it can be said we are in for another good season!