• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9 Decade MLB Draft : CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Verlander is over-rated, but he is significantly better than Pettite...
I don't think anyone would say Pettitte was as good as Verlander, and no where close to Kershaw, but he has-been clutch in the playoffs whereas the other two have pretty much choked on the big stage

Last edited:

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 629.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone would say Pettitte was as good as Verlander, and no where close to Kershaw, but HR has-been clutch in the playoffs whereas the other two have pretty much choked on the big stage
Nos said Pettite was better.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nos said Pettite was better.
I wouldn't go that far. I would say he has proven he can go out against great teams under pressure and give his team a chance. Verlander, and especially Kershaw are pretty baffling to me. With their dominant stuff, it's hard to explain how they've been literally wrecked in the postseason

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 629.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander three World Series starts and lost them all and an ERA of 7.20, I know he has been a great regular season pitcher but I just can't draft someone with numbers like that in the most important games he's ever pitched.

Reading it's FUN duh MENTAL!!!
I addressed that point in the quoted post. As well as the fact that you said postseason at first, but I guess I am the one who can't read.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go that far. I would say he has proven he can go out against great teams under pressure and give his team a chance. Verlander, and especially Kershaw are pretty baffling to me. With their dominant stuff, it's hard to explain how they've been literally wrecked in the postseason

But lets just agree that Verlander and Kershaw have more pressure on them constantly since they are seen to be their teams ACE and they SHOULD win... Maybe there is something to being that Pitcher for a team that just doesn't get many Pressure situations... Much easier for a #2 or #3 pitcher to pitch in a pressure situation because they naturally just get less expected out of them...

Just trying to figure out the psyche, not giving excuses....

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From pressure from Nos to step down Norv decided to resign today after 2 straight loses.

Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner resigned Wednesday, following the team's second straight loss.

"I have tremendous respect for [head coach] Mike Zimmer, our coaching staff, @Nosferatu and our players and at this time I think it is in the best interest of the team to step down," Turner said in a statement. "I thank the Wilf family for my time here in Minnesota and want to see our players and coaches achieve success."

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But lets just agree that Verlander and Kershaw have more pressure on them constantly since they are seen to be their teams ACE and they SHOULD win... Maybe there is something to being that Pitcher for a team that just doesn't get many Pressure situations... Much easier for a #2 or #3 pitcher to pitch in a pressure situation because they naturally just get less expected out of them...

Yeah...but....more often than not Pettitte was going against a #1 or #2, not a 3 or 4. Look at the Indians, out of 7 games, their ace is going 3 times

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 629.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And in our discussion, Verlander is a 4th starter. But he still sucks...

:D

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I addressed that point in the quoted post. As well as the fact that you said postseason at first, but I guess I am the one who can't read.

Obviously you cant I said take away Oakland and hes not done much in the post season then I said what I said about him in the Series, you may also notice I DID say how good he's been in the regular season, so yeah its you alright...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in our discussion, Verlander is a 4th starter. But he still sucks...

:D

To be fair, that's why I made sure to grab 5 AWESOME pitchers!!! :yes:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say 1996 Game 1 was rough

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 629.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you cant I said take away Oakland and hes not done much in the post season then I said what I said about him in the Series, you may also notice I DID say how good he's been in the regular season, so yeah its you alright...
So, you're picking and choosing which postseason games you'll use to prove your point. And you never gave him any credit in the regular season until one of the last posts.

I can't wait for the next NFL draft when I get guys like Doug Williams and Timmy Smith over Dan Marino and Marshall faulk

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because shit happens in small sample sizes

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rarely get into this stuff here because I know I'll get slaughtered by the old schoolers and it's not worth it, but the Kershaw thing is a narrative stuff is just that. Kershaw's advanced stats are all comparable regular season to postseason. The difference being is his strand rate drops from regular to postseason 78 percent to 61 and HR/FB percentage rises from seven percent to nearly 11, both luck based factors. factors. So apparently he can't pitch in the postseason at all but comes through with the series on the line against the Nationals? Narratives are just easier to spew out than attributing it to statistical randomness. The Clayton Kershaw Postseason Narrative Is a Myth

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, but I'm sure the Tigers and Dodgers would prefer they didn't shit their pants

Sure, but the best teams/players don't always, or usually don't, win in sports, which is what makes it fun. If they wanted the best teams to win they would stop after the regular season.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but the best teams/players don't always, or usually don't, win in sports, which is what makes it fun. If they wanted the best teams to win they would stop after the regular season.
I agree, it's their personal legacy that's really decided in the postseason. It's the reason Matt Stafford and Tony Romo will never be picked ahead of Joe Montana or Tom Brady in our mocks, despite comparable regular season numbers

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you're picking and choosing which postseason games you'll use to prove your point. And you never gave him any credit in the regular season until one of the last posts.

I can't wait for the next NFL draft when I get guys like Doug Williams and Timmy Smith over Dan Marino and Marshall faulk

You ok man? The very first post where I mentioned this I mentioned his regular season accomplishments. Post #778 give it another look and read what I wrote not what you think I meant.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it's their personal legacy that's really decided in the postseason. It's the reason Matt Stafford and Tony Romo will never be picked ahead of Joe Montana or Tom Brady in our mocks, despite comparable regular season numbers

I disagree with Montana and Brady just being perceived as better than Romo and Stafford. A couple seasons ago I did a statistical comparison of QBs with other QBs from their era. Montana came in #3 and Brady was #6 (P Manning was #7), while Romo as #17 and Stafford was #77. Now, this was a couple years ago, so things could've changed - but not that much.