• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9.9 Fishermen @ Andercrap

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these dead weight vets are aren't looking so dead. What happens if Belt keeps hitting like he has through this season and into next year? Do they keep him or let him walk? Does Longoria's option get picked up after next year? Would the Giants let Crawford go if he continues to hit better? The only guy that seems to have a guarantee to be gone (that hasn't been dfa'd already) is Samardzija.
All good questions that FZ is paid very well to answer

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that the org has moved on from Adon. He was given the Chris Shaw treatment during summer training and into the season. Just like Shaw, he was only recently added to the alternate site. Considering how this bullpen has operated, his lack of chances seems pretty glaring.

And what the heck is going on with Menez!?!? He was one of the few bright spots in the bullpen so the Giants decide to send him down?!?! Now, he languishes at the alternate site (not Sacramento, mind you, just the alternate site located in Sacramento) while guys like Rico Garcia get to come back up to the big league club. Again, what the heck!?!?!

Agree with you re: Menez, that one is frustrating and a head scratcher.

No idea what you see in Chris Shaw. Raw power and takes walks, but he’s Chris Davis.....the current version, not the All Star. :heh:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you re: Menez, that one is frustrating and a head scratcher.

No idea what you see in Chris Shaw. Raw power and takes walks, but he’s Chris Davis.....the current version, not the All Star. :heh:
I know Shaw has struggled in his brief big league career but his AAA numbers, I think, warrant at least a long enough look to determine if he is a AAAA player or if he is at least a solid bench piece. I'm not trying to say that he will do well in the big leagues, I just think the Giants may be giving up too quickly on him and should give him a sustained chance to succeed or fail in the big leagues. How many guys have there been in major league baseball where they struggled for two or three years and then finally put it together? I know that there are more that don't put it together but I do think a 1st round pick, which has succeeded in the minor leagues, deserves a longer look.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these dead weight vets are aren't looking so dead. What happens if Belt keeps hitting like he has through this season and into next year? Do they keep him or let him walk? Does Longoria's option get picked up after next year? Would the Giants let Crawford go if he continues to hit better? The only guy that seems to have a guarantee to be gone (that hasn't been dfa'd already) is Samardzija.
I know you all want Belt signing a 10-year, 400m contract extension, but I am officially against that.

in ‘22, there is a CHANCE that Bailey will be ready to take over behind the plate, so Bart will need to take over at 1st (I can’t believe we are already looting at Bart’s replacement). Luciano will likely be ready to take over at SS or 3B, so at least one of Craw/Longo will be gone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just being realistic...it's nice they are playing better than expected now, but I suspect we won't be truly contending until we are rid of the dead weight vets. 2 years isn't that far away...2022

Only 90ish Million due to vets next year...plenty of budget to add talent. And not all of them are "dead weight.

2021 payroll
Buster 22M
Cueto 21M
Belt 17M
Craw 15M
Longo 19M

and that's kinda it. Buster, JC, Belt and Longo should be productive -- maybe not overperformers but collectively I could see 12 WAR. that's 70ish million of production for 80ish million in payroll.

Craw...I wouldn't expect a lot out of. He's the only real dead weight guy IMO.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 90ish Million due to vets next year...plenty of budget to add talent. And not all of them are "dead weight.

2021 payroll
Buster 22M
Cueto 21M
Belt 17M
Craw 15M
Longo 19M

and that's kinda it. Buster, JC, Belt and Longo should be productive -- maybe not overperformers but collectively I could see 12 WAR. that's 70ish million of production for 80ish million in payroll.

Craw...I wouldn't expect a lot out of. He's the only real dead weight guy IMO.

I trust FZ to figure it out, if he can win next year while rebuilding a real contender, great. Just think it takes a little time.