• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9.4 Spyder getting Cained

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to positional limitations I doubt what you are suggesting is possible, but I agree with the gist of what you are saying. However, as much as I am impressed with Sabol, I don’t really see him as a major piece moving forward. I am 100% AOK with him starting next year in Sacto, and having him essentially fade into non-existence. I don’t hate him, I just don’t love him.
Sure, I get that, but let's give him some runway to either succeed or fail.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These last four games have been heartless. They are in the hunt for the Wild Card and they are playing like they have vacay plans a few minutes after the season ends.

I wish they'd turn things around, but they have not enough talent to do so, it seems.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I get that, but let's give him some runway to either succeed or fail.
I was not intending to poop on the Sabol-parade. Just trying to be realistic about expectations for him.

End of the day, he is a below-average glove with a slightly above average bat. I am not sure that is enough to list as an asset worth bending over backwards to protect/develop. Pretty much the Websters definition of a fungible asset.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After getting two-hit by Justin Steele, the Giants’ team batting average dropped to .214 since the All-Star break. Over a full season, that would be the sixth-worst batting average in baseball history. That isn’t to say that this is guaranteed to continue, or that they won’t regress to the mean in a positive way. It’s just that you’ve watched a month-plus of the Giants hitting like one of the worst teams in baseball history. If you exclude the teams from the 1800s and the teams from the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, a .214 average would be the third-worst in history. When you watch your preferred team play baseball, you spend a couple hours hoping that the person at the plate will get a hit. The Giants have done this less than anyone else in baseball in the second half of the season. They’re dead last in batting average since the break.
This leads us to a less important, but still relevant part of the unwatchabilitude of the 2023 Giants. Good gravy, they’re slow. Wade Meckler can fly, and Thairo Estrada is faster than the league-average player, but we’re talking about a team that considers its everyday catcher to be one of the fastest players on the roster. This shows up in the statistical record, too. Take a quick moment to guess at how many players in Major League Baseball have as many or more stolen bases in the second half of the season. Go on, don’t be shy.

There are 52 such players. And it’s not like all of them are burners, either. The Giants aren’t great at “making things happen,” which is a problem when they’re not getting hits or hitting balls over the fence. This lack of team speed also trickles down to when they get a hit with a runner in scoring position, as scoring position is a relative term. It’s Sisyphean, in a way, struggling to get runners, and especially struggling to get runners in scoring position, then FINALLY getting a hit, only to go station to station.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After getting two-hit by Justin Steele, the Giants’ team batting average dropped to .214 since the All-Star break. Over a full season, that would be the sixth-worst batting average in baseball history. That isn’t to say that this is guaranteed to continue, or that they won’t regress to the mean in a positive way. It’s just that you’ve watched a month-plus of the Giants hitting like one of the worst teams in baseball history. If you exclude the teams from the 1800s and the teams from the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, a .214 average would be the third-worst in history. When you watch your preferred team play baseball, you spend a couple hours hoping that the person at the plate will get a hit. The Giants have done this less than anyone else in baseball in the second half of the season. They’re dead last in batting average since the break.
This leads us to a less important, but still relevant part of the unwatchabilitude of the 2023 Giants. Good gravy, they’re slow. Wade Meckler can fly, and Thairo Estrada is faster than the league-average player, but we’re talking about a team that considers its everyday catcher to be one of the fastest players on the roster. This shows up in the statistical record, too. Take a quick moment to guess at how many players in Major League Baseball have as many or more stolen bases in the second half of the season. Go on, don’t be shy.

There are 52 such players. And it’s not like all of them are burners, either. The Giants aren’t great at “making things happen,” which is a problem when they’re not getting hits or hitting balls over the fence. This lack of team speed also trickles down to when they get a hit with a runner in scoring position, as scoring position is a relative term. It’s Sisyphean, in a way, struggling to get runners, and especially struggling to get runners in scoring position, then FINALLY getting a hit, only to go station to station.
It is embarrassing to see how bad “journalists” are at writing today. That whole bit about stolen bases is completely nonsensical. 52 players have more SB than what? And how many?

Journalism in this country has completely gone to pot. And not just in the ethical side of the profession, but in the technical side as well, as that article demonstrates.

Now, since I have your attention, GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMNED KIDS!!

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why the Giants offer the QO to Pederson, so they could get younger and more athletic. I've been told that means fewer walks, fewer home runs, fewer hits and slower runners. At least, that was what I was told by the t-ball coach whom the Giants intended to raid on their quest for younger players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why the Giants offer the QO to Pederson, so they could get younger and more athletic. I've been told that means fewer walks, fewer home runs, fewer hits and slower runners. At least, that was what I was told by the t-ball coach whom the Giants intended to raid on their quest for younger players.
And better defense. Don’t forget the promise that he Giants were going to focus on defense with the signing of Pederson.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is embarrassing to see how bad “journalists” are at writing today. That whole bit about stolen bases is completely nonsensical. 52 players have more SB than what? And how many?

Journalism in this country has completely gone to pot. And not just in the ethical side of the profession, but in the technical side as well, as that article demonstrates.

Now, since I have your attention, GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMNED KIDS!!

Fair point, but the underlying point remains that the Giants are ungodly slow, and cannot manufacture runs. The Giants need at least four singles to drive in a run, and sometimes not even that happens!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And for that $20 million the Giants have received 12 HR's and 44 RBI.

Someone severely underperformed, but some of us warned FZ of making such a colossal mistake. Did he listen? Nope. His computer told him that it was "good value" and Joc would make the team better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for that $20 million the Giants have received 12 HR's and 44 RBI.

Someone severely underperformed, but some of us warned FZ of making such a colossal mistake. Did he listen? Nope. His computer told him that it was "good value" and Joc would make the team better.
As much as I complain about the signing, the counter argument (from TZ, I think) was that the QO was not given because he was worth 20m, but because they wanted him, and they weren’t going to risk losing him over a few million. They knowingly overpaid paid him to lock him in and to show other potential FAs (Judge, primarily) that they were serious.

It didn’t work. Not even a little bit. Joc just won the lottery. Congrats to him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the rest of the year:
Craw -- minimal use. Let him start the last home game.
JDD -- sparing use. He's 30 and not a solution
DeJong -- DeGONE
Tyro -- play every day
Wilmer -- platoon at DH w/ Joc
Schmitt -- play every day
VR -- play most days
LWJ -- sparing use. IL him if needed
Haniger -- sits
Meckler -- every day
Slater -- every day
Yaz -- most days
Joc -- split DH with Wilmer
Bales -- most days
Sabol -- most days
Forto -- don't activate him

Bring up Matos and Ramos, maybe Alvarez
I just cannot watch Meck at the plate any more. At some point, maybe after this road trip, treat the rest of the season as early spring training. Figure out what we've got and build towards '25.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the rest of the year:
Craw -- minimal use. Let him start the last home game.
JDD -- sparing use. He's 30 and not a solution
DeJong -- DeGONE
Tyro -- play every day
Wilmer -- platoon at DH w/ Joc
Schmitt -- play every day
VR -- play most days
LWJ -- sparing use. IL him if needed
Haniger -- sits
Meckler -- every day
Slater -- every day
Yaz -- most days
Joc -- split DH with Wilmer
Bales -- most days
Sabol -- most days
Forto -- don't activate him

Bring up Matos and Ramos, maybe Alvarez
If you want Matos, Ramos and VR up, more than just dfa'ing DeJong will need to happen. Wade and Haniger would need to be put on the IL or someone else needs to go.