• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9.3.16 Bum @ Arrieta

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYWW for the win.

Yeah the pen bent but did not break. All 3 of these games have been close, good sign. Gotta win tomorrow, we got a good pitcher out there and then we split in Chicago, I'll take it.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why he doesn't hit Trout cleanup.

Oh wait... Maybe because Trout isn't on the team.

Pence is hitting cleanup because their aren't any better options. Span has the highest SLG go the team, so you are suggesting HE be the cleanup hitter?

Come on, man. You are better than that. Stats are important, but they are not the end-all, be-all. With the regular 8 in the lineup, there are really only 3 options for the #4 slot (Belt, Posey, Pence -- with an occasional nod to Craw). McParker would do as well, but they are not starters on this team YET.
You just named 4 or 5 guys that could hit cleanup. My point is the insistence to have kept Pence in the cleanup slot when his hitting stunk but bump Belt all the way down to the number 8 spot when he wasn't even as bad as Pence.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just named 4 or 5 guys that could hit cleanup. My point is the insistence to have kept Pence in the cleanup slot when his hitting stunk but bump Belt all the way down to the number 8 spot when he wasn't even as bad as Pence.
Again...

Because Pence keeps his head in the game while belt becomes a basket case.

Different players, different approaches.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But same result? Not sure you punish one approach but reward another if neither are working.

The thing is no matter how closely we watch and study the game we are not there, every day, in the dugout, seeing how these guys act and talk when they are slumping. Bochy is. He knows these guys on a deep personal level, and he knows who can handle what. He surely has closed the door and spoken to Belt one on one about what's going on, and then decided what to do. We have no way of knowing that stuff. That's why IBWT.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is no matter how closely we watch and study the game we are not there, every day, in the dugout, seeing how these guys act and talk when they are slumping. Bochy is. He knows these guys on a deep personal level, and he knows who can handle what. He surely has closed the door and spoken to Belt one on one about what's going on, and then decided what to do. We have no way of knowing that stuff. That's why IBWT.
And in that closed-door meeting, it MAY have been determined that the pressure is getting to Belt in this slump. Conversely, in the closed door meetings Boch has had with Pence about his slumps, it may have been determined that it was just a timing thing and not a pressure thing, thus, Pence staying closer to the heart of the order.

:noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baseball-san-francisco-giants-orlando-cepeda-in-action-at-bat-vs-picture-id81373046

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gs pounded Robin Roberts (HoF) for 7 runs that day, and our man above had an EWS. Billy Loes had a 7 hit shutout. 3 IBB for 24.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I'm alone here I'll make this my last post: that AB by Contreras (a rookie!) is a good example of why the Cubs are the best team in baseball and the Giants are....not. He patiently gets it to 3-0, then 3-2, no swings at all. Then he starts protecting, fouls off 4 more before whacking a double into the ivy. Can you imagine our guys doing that?

That's GREAT hitting. tzill would say Bum shat himself on that AB, but come on. Sometimes you tip your cap to the batters.

Playoffs are pretty random but if there's ever a 'best team' that should win it all, it's these Cubs. And by god if they pull it off we will never hear the end of the media fellatio.

not true. A shatting takes much more than one AB.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still seems like Bochy doesn't fully understand Belt's worth to the team. He leaves Pence in the cleanup spot despite his lack of power. Belt's SLG last month was 5th best on the team (Span led in that department in August!).

This is the main point I'm trying to convey, it just seems Boch doesn't appreciate what Belt does fully or just doesn't have the confidence in him, which he's shown in the past.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the main point I'm trying to convey, it just seems Boch doesn't appreciate what Belt does fully or just doesn't have the confidence in him, which he's shown in the past.

Sure, and my point is perhaps there's a good reason that he doesn't have as much confidence in him right now, due to him being right on top of the situation and talking to Belt every day.