• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

88% of FBS Athletic Directors Want an Expanded College Football Playoff

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB needs a real governing body in my opinion. Take realignment away, take schedules away. You want more money through playing better teams, then prove you can beat the other teams. I have said this many times, but this is what should happen in my opinion... minus the recruiting part though I do believe things should change for recruiting.

No more White-Outs

:rip:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is broken. Going to 8 teams fixes it.
That depends what you define as broken. CFB has been pretty successful 100+ years of existing

I think it would also lead to better out of conference games being played. Teams may not feel the need to play cupcakes only if they can still make the top 8 with a loss. Getting the #1 seed would still be huge.
I agree, getting the 1-4 will be important. Realistically the OOC scheduling will be about the same tho. Teams will continuing and have been scheduling at-least 1 big OOC mainly because the money is good but we will still run into the problem where matchups looked great 5 years ago when the teams first signed the contract to play each other but one or both teams falloff before they play. And teams will still schedule their annual FCS/G5 bye week because getting rest in-between Conf. games is very valuable

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think we agree more than you think. None of what I posted was a dig at you, just discussion.

You talk about non starters while introducing "rule 1", a non sequitur. Is money important? Absolutely. But it is nonsense to act like it is the only factor. 11 game schedules were a thing for a while. CCGs are still technically a new thing, even the B12 didn't have one recently... and they didn't add it for the money, they made it very clear they added it to increase their chances of a playoff berth. As for bowls... fuck bowls, stupid and a waste.
We will have to agree to disagree. Yes they played 11 games for a long time. They play 12 now. Getting rid of 57 games is like losing at least $200 - $400 million, a lot of that going to local economies who would get no share. There is no way they will do that.

The B12 can say that all they want, but in 2016 it was estimated that the TV rights would be worth 25-35 million, then add in tickets sales and the boost to the local economy. That was 4 years ago. If you think they aren't in it for the money, don't know what to tell you. The whole lack of a conference championship was because they lost out in the last expansion rush, and they only had 10 teams and by rule couldn't have a championship. I have no doubt they did it to increase their chances, but it is naive to think that $50 million or more isn't a primary reason.

As for bowls, do you have any idea the amount of revenue they generate? I recall 7 or 8 years ago, when New Orleans hosted the Sugar Bowl and the NC game, reading that the economic impact, direct and indirect, was close to half a billion dollars. If you don't think that the major 6 bowls have a major influence on this, you are being naive as to power of money. Sorry, but Rule no. 1 applies, and if you ignore it, your arguments simply aren't based in reality.

I was not saying that I wanted or didn't care whether or not weather impacted a game, I am sure we all would like every team to be at its utmost best all the time, but this isn't realistic. My point was merely that the weather is not an excuse as both teams play under the same conditions.
We agree on this.

Why is 3 SEC teams a bad thing? Because no one outside the SEC wants to see that. Secondly, all it would do is validate these nonsensical preseason rankings the rewards SEC teams for playing... you guessed it, SEC teams. You know what is good for CFB?? PARITY. I don't have any disdain for the SEC, your homerism is showing. I only picked the SEC because similar things have happened twice recently with the SEC.
I don't think that is true. I get that people are sick of the SEC. I grew up sick of the B1G and them being on TV all the damn time. But, I think so long as 5 other teams get a shot, and each conference gets a shot, real fans don't care of multiple teams get in from the same conference.

I get the pre-season poll argument. The problem is that the SEC has proven in the OOC play, and their bowl play that they have been the best conference for the past 15 years. I've been alive long enough to remember when that wasn't the case, and I would not have had a problem seeing multiple teams from other conferences getting into a playoff.

How is my homerism showing? - I gave multiple examples of how you could very well have multiple teams from every conference. I believe that to be true. As for parity, it will never happen. College football is cyclical, so you will see teams come and go for various reasons (coaching changes being primary), but there will never be parity in a sport that doesn't have a draft, and other measures designed to encourage parity.

I think that people want the best teams to play one another, not ignore certain teams because they are from the same conference.
It's not rational? Better teams? You don't KNOW these teams aren't better, you are assuming. We have seen many top G5 teams knock off some top level P5 teams. So until you can know, all teams should be given a fair chance to prove their worth.
We've never seen "many" top G5 teams knock off some top level P5 teams. We've seen BSU win a couple - they stomped my Dawgs in Atlanta. UCF beat Auburn. Pre PAC Utah knocked off OU or Bama, don't recall which. That's not "many," and it is the exception not the rule. For obvious reasons, the G5 aren't as good as the P5, not even close. I can't imagine you can argue this. It's not their fault, but they are have-nots in college football, and will remain that way unless major changes are made. Rule no. 1, the money, says they won't be made.

I am not assuming ... if you run the statistics, the G5 loses to the P5 far more often. But, common sense simply tells you this. G5 schools who struggle to stay alive financially can't compete with P5 teams who get $40 million plus a year in TV money, not even mentioning alumni support. Is that right? Don't know, don't care. Life isn't fair, and they won't be given the chance you are asking for. At most, one team will get in per year. I'd love to come back in 10 years after that happens and see they are 0-10, 1-9 at best.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB needs a real governing body in my opinion. Take realignment away, take schedules away. You want more money through playing better teams, then prove you can beat the other teams. I have said this many times, but this is what should happen in my opinion... minus the recruiting part though I do believe things should change for recruiting.

As the guy who did the video stated in his last sentence, "I'm going to do a do some more daydreaming." There isn't an idea he stated that has a chance to come into existence. I prefer to talk about things that can actually happen.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might as well wish for the moon to be made of blue cheese so we can get all the sweet Gorgonzola.

There is no way the P5 conferences give up their position in a sport they've largely created.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course 88% support expansion. Most would never sniff a playoff, until it expands to 32, teams. When it gets to a 16 team playoff. That's when it will ruin CFB. Coaches will get fired for not getting in. The top 15-40 teams will never give coaches a real chance if the miss the playoffs. Coaching contracts for those teams will be 2-3 years max.

The Gundys of CFB, will never get a chance to build anything.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might only be 32 teams playing college football this season much less forward.

Devastating to every athletic department. Only the rich will survive.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might only be 32 teams playing college football this season much less forward.

Devastating to every athletic department. Only the rich will survive.
And even they are going to have to take a real good look at their hole card.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course 88% support expansion. Most would never sniff a playoff, until it expands to 32, teams. When it gets to a 16 team playoff. That's when it will ruin CFB. Coaches will get fired for not getting in. The top 15-40 teams will never give coaches a real chance if the miss the playoffs. Coaching contracts for those teams will be 2-3 years max.

The Gundys of CFB, will never get a chance to build anything.

So it matters that the Gundys get 4-6 years to not make a small playoff versus 2-3 to make a large playoff?