• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/20 GDT Grandpa @ Eyebrow

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My posts were guesses who would take over the vacant spot in the rotation, not who I wanted to see start. The Giants can still lean too hard toward veterans (although not nearly as bad as they used to) and that's why I'd be floored to see Peavy dfa'd this season. He ends the season with the team and rides off into retirement.
I think the idea that they stick with the vets, while true, is a bit over-blown. They didn't stick with Zito in '10. They DFA'd Scutaro. They kicked RoRo and Teh Nada to the curb. They traded Molina.

They will give the vets numerous chances. These guys have earned them, after all. But when the season is on the line, the org does what needs to be done. I don't think they afford to hand the ball to PV, and I don't think they will.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was definitely a #weaklink game.

Hopefully, Turdpoopdzija has turned a corner...

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell he had plenty of them in Apr and May. Coaching staff needs to start reviewing those vids and give the feedback to Sammy.

Reds up 7 on doggies :pound:

Samardzija has pitched well in his last two starts, so let's hope that continues tomorrow.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea that they stick with the vets, while true, is a bit over-blown. They didn't stick with Zito in '10. They DFA'd Scutaro. They kicked RoRo and Teh Nada to the curb. They traded Molina.

They will give the vets numerous chances. These guys have earned them, after all. But when the season is on the line, the org does what needs to be done. I don't think they afford to hand the ball to PV, and I don't think they will.
I don't remember who RoRo was (Rowand?) but Tejada was only around that one season and Zito was still on the team in 2010 (he made 33 starts that year). Scutaro was already injured and, essentially, done. Molina was a deadline trade. Rowand feels like the exception to the rule for the past 6 years or so. Any veteran who has contributed in a big way to the team at some point and has been with the team for multiple years is usually given to the end of the season (or contract) to make a graceful exit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember who RoRo was (Rowand?) but Tejada was only around that one season and Zito was still on the team in 2010 (he made 33 starts that year). Scutaro was already injured and, essentially, done. Molina was a deadline trade. Rowand feels like the exception to the rule for the past 6 years or so. Any veteran who has contributed in a big way to the team at some point and has been with the team for multiple years is usually given to the end of the season (or contract) to make a graceful exit.
Zito was left off the playoff roster. Rather a huge diversion from the vet trust thing.

There is no way the org will stick with PV at this point in the season. They will basically be saying eff you to everyone else on the roster. Think 2014 Nationals and Strasberg. Giving the vets every chance during the season shows commitment. I may gripe about it while it is happening, but it is the right strategy to take. Continuing that deep into August/September is something different entirely. And this org has shown the ability to change gears late in the season when need-be.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
920x920.jpg

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zito was left off the playoff roster. Rather a huge diversion from the vet trust thing.

There is no way the org will stick with PV at this point in the season. They will basically be saying eff you to everyone else on the roster. Think 2014 Nationals and Strasberg. Giving the vets every chance during the season shows commitment. I may gripe about it while it is happening, but it is the right strategy to take. Continuing that deep into August/September is something different entirely. And this org has shown the ability to change gears late in the season when need-be.
I think maybe we are talking two different things. You are looking at whether they will hand the ball to Peavy again every 5th day, and, if making the postseason, whether he will be on that roster. I'm talking more about him getting let go from the team so late in the season. Yes, the Giants are very willing to drop dead weight from the post season roster. I just don't see them dropping Peavy in the regular season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe we are talking two different things. You are looking at whether they will hand the ball to Peavy again every 5th day, and, if making the postseason, whether he will be on that roster. I'm talking more about him getting let go from the team so late in the season. Yes, the Giants are very willing to drop dead weight from the post season roster. I just don't see them dropping Peavy in the regular season.
Ok. But if they need the roster spot, I believe the will do what is needed.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

September is almost here. Peavy won't be demoted this year.

Any word on if they are using this day off to skip the 5th starter and go with Bum, Cueto, and Moore in LA?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any word on if they are using this day off to skip the 5th starter and go with Bum, Cueto, and Moore in LA?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are skipping.