• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/15 Gnats @ Champs

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel bad for Storen. Guy was pitching great for the Nationals and they demote him for Papelbon (not that Papelbon was any average pitcher). It seemed to have messed with his head a bit. Hasn't been the same since then.

Yeah, and this isn't the first time. He was replaced by Tyler Clippard after his first year as the closer (I think he was injured coming into that season, so you can give them a break), but then when he was healthy and able to return to closer they brought in Rafael Soriano to close. After they traded both of them away and Storen is the closer again, they replace him with Paps.

They've just never seemed comfortable with him closing. Nothing wrong with stacking the bullpen, but you don't always need to chase closer to improve Pens (see, Giants).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herk has not been right for a while now. He is like that though. Incredibly streaky. But he can single-handed lay carry this team for 2-weeks at a time, so it is quite OK.
Yet Belt seems to catch more flack for that.

I heard an interesting story the other day about Pence. I have a co-worker who grew up in San Francisco. She and her sisters are rapid Giant fans. Her sisters still live up there and one of them decided to visit a batting cage somewhere in the city. She wasn't very good and was watching this guy a couple of cages down from her and thought "man, he's good!" The guy comes out of the cage and it's Hunter Pence! She took a ball up to him and asked for a signature and he obliged. My question was, "What the heck was Pence doing hanging out at a random batting cage?"

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and this isn't the first time. He was replaced by Tyler Clippard after his first year as the closer (I think he was injured coming into that season, so you can give them a break), but then when he was healthy and able to return to closer they brought in Rafael Soriano to close. After they traded both of them away and Storen is the closer again, they replace him with Paps.

They've just never seemed comfortable with him closing. Nothing wrong with stacking the bullpen, but you don't always need to chase closer to improve Pens (see, Giants).
I think the rationale I've usually heard given was his postseason work. Can't expect a guy to have lot of confidence if you keep yanking him from his job when he's doing it well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballgame! The bats are alive, the starting pitchers are questionable. Not tzill approved, but he'll take it.

MILK!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet Belt seems to catch more flack for that.

I heard an interesting story the other day about Pence. I have a co-worker who grew up in San Francisco. She and her sisters are rapid Giant fans. Her sisters still live up there and one of them decided to visit a batting cage somewhere in the city. She wasn't very good and was watching this guy a couple of cages down from her and thought "man, he's good!" The guy comes out of the cage and it's Hunter Pence! She took a ball up to him and asked for a signature and he obliged. My question was, "What the heck was Pence doing hanging out at a random batting cage?"
That sounds like Pence. He apparently just loves being out and about in the city. Kinda like Weezy when he was around. Loved getting his hands dirty with the common folk.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send him back to triple A!

Time to call up Trevor Brown.

Another UCLA kid from 2012

Great behind the dish. No power. Only 30% CS. Decent average.

I am looking forward to seeing how Grant Watson (another UCLA guy) rises through the org. He threw 5 shutout innings tonight, no walks, 5 K's in the AZL.

On the season:

26.2 IP

21 H

2 ER

3 BB

30 K

0.68 ERA

He started the season as a reliever. Tonight was his 3rd start, and they seem to be limiting him to 5 innings per start so as not to overtax him. Looks solid, though.

Grant Watson Biography - UCLA Bruins Official Athletic Site | UCLABruins.com

Baseball Prospect Report » Scouting Video: Grant Watson, RHP, UCLA (2014 Draft)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another UCLA kid from 2012

Great behind the dish. No power. Only 30% CS. Decent average.

I am looking forward to seeing how Grant Watson (another UCLA guy) rises through the org. He threw 5 shutout innings tonight, no walks, 5 K's in the AZL.

On the season:

26.2 IP

21 H

2 ER

3 BB

30 K

0.68 ERA

He started the season as a reliever. Tonight was his 3rd start, and they seem to be limiting him to 5 innings per start so as not to overtax him. Looks solid, though.
When your slugging is .360 at triple A, you have no pop.

Are you a UCLA guy?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your slugging is .360 at triple A, you have no pop.

Are you a UCLA guy?

No, my son went to UCLA. Aerospace Engineering.

Crawford is from UCLA, and it just seems strange that we have a bunch of UCLA guys in the minors.

OTOH, Duffy is on fire.

For the series:

6-12

4 runs

8 RBI

3 doubles

1 homer

and 2 errors

Kid looks like a keeper. Gooooooooo BEACH!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun game all around. Already took 3/4 and we were nervous....500 in AUgust now I think?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, my son went to UCLA. Aerospace Engineering.

Crawford is from UCLA, and it just seems strange that we have a bunch of UCLA guys in the minors.

OTOH, Duffy is on fire.

For the series:

6-12

4 runs

8 RBI

3 doubles

1 homer

and 2 errors

Kid looks like a keeper. Gooooooooo BEACH!
Got it. VanderTuig is also from UCLA and was having a good season at San Jose before it got cut short with an injury.

How did you end up in Ceres of all places? That doesn't strike me as a town people just move to without a reason, like relatives living there.