• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 7.8.15 Red Sox surging towards first, Padres lose yet again, Yanks lose in 10

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discuss

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hooplans...assemble!

p9ws3p.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge night for the freakin Cubs. If Im a Giants fan, Id start to worry a bit

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade deadline is going to be especially interesting this year.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely. no clue whos buying and selling either.

I love rebuilds like the Cubs and Phillies so I can't wait to see what McPhail does, if he indeed trumps Ruben Amaro.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love rebuilds like the Cubs and Phillies so I can't wait to see what McPhail does, if he indeed trumps Ruben Amaro.

The rebuild process was several years overdue. It's going to be a long time for the Phillies are competing again. At least their farm system's starting to improve. Franco's held his own in the majors so far and Aaron Nola could be called up soon.
Huge night for the freakin Cubs. If Im a Giants fan, Id start to worry a bit

That, and the Pirates are going to be in it all year. Hard to believe the Pirates have been one of the best teams in the league over the last 2.5 seasons after several decades of mediocrity.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
astros land cueto i think...they are swimming in prospects they can easily part with.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rebuild process was several years overdue. It's going to be a long time for the Phillies are competing again.

That, and the Pirates are going to be in it all year. Hard to believe the Pirates have been one of the best teams in the league over the last 2.5 seasons after several decades of mediocrity.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I heard someone talking about the Phillies and they made sense. With the situation they were in, winning it all and being right there for a long time, having multiple aces and power hitters, people were going to have to be paid. They knew those contracts would be albatrosses and yet they had to do it. Trading those pieces when their value became prohibitive would have pissed off players and alienated fans. However, the Phillies got greedy and delayed it too long. They should have already moved Howard and Hamels at the very least.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, as always, I love NL Central baseball and it's going to be great this year. I hope and pray the Pirates can at the very least land a wildcard spot. My hope is that the Cardinals and Giants get taken out early.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I mentioned elsewhere, I heard someone talking about the Phillies and they made sense. With the situation they were in, winning it all and being right there for a long time, having multiple aces and power hitters, people were going to have to be paid. They knew those contracts would be albatrosses and yet they had to do it. Trading those pieces when their value became prohibitive would have pissed off players and alienated fans. However, the Phillies got greedy and delayed it too long. They should have already moved Howard and Hamels at the very least.

It was some bad GM work, but there was a lot of bad luck involved as well. Halladay went from being the best pitcher in baseball to retired in about a two year span. Cliff Lee was great his first three seasons before missing significant time in 2014 and 2015. Who knows what will happen with Lee at this point? But they're also two examples of why long term contracts with pitchers are always a huge risk. Hamels has certainly lived up to his contract so far though.

Another problem has been the players they let go. Werth had a rough year in 2011 and has missed some time to injuries, but he played very well in 2012-14 (batting .303/.394/.479, 140 OPS+). They didn't get much for Pence either, and he played pretty well in 2013-14 for the Giants. Also, it remains to be seen how the first Pence trade ends up (Singleton's struggled, but he's only 23; Cosart has been pretty meh)

Poor drafting over the years has also been a big issue.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was some bad GM work, but there was a lot of bad luck involved as well. Halladay went from being the best pitcher in baseball to retired in about a two year span. Cliff Lee was great his first three seasons before missing significant time in 2014 and 2015. Who knows what will happen with Lee at this point? But they're also two examples of why long term contracts with pitchers are always a huge risk. Hamels has certainly lived up to his contract so far though.

Another problem has been the players they let go. Werth had a rough year in 2011 and has missed some time to injuries, but he played very well in 2012-14 (batting .303/.394/.479, 140 OPS+). They didn't get much for Pence either, and he played pretty well in 2013-14 for the Giants. Also, it remains to be seen how the first Pence trade ends up (Singleton's struggled, but he's only 23; Cosart has been pretty meh)

Poor drafting over the years has also been a big issue.

Do you think they actually believed they could avoid the crash? Did the contracts have to be THAT long? They were obviously rewards, but they went too long on them.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade deadline is going to be especially interesting this year.

definitely. no clue whos buying and selling either.

Thank you, extra wild card.

I don't know what the consensus is with you guys on the newish wild card format -- on FN it seemed most folks were against it -- but I've been a HUGE fan of it since its inception.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think they actually believed they could avoid the crash? Did the contracts have to be THAT long? They were obviously rewards, but they went too long on them.

Probably.

Tigers seem to be heading down a similar path.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, extra wild card.

I don't know what the consensus is with you guys on the newish wild card format -- on FN it seemed most folks were against it -- but I've been a HUGE fan of it since its inception.

Ditto.