• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 7.1.15 : Sox on a roll, Bobby Bonillas annual pay day & Hu will entertain us all.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see some new guys came over? They're some characters and they like MLB so we'll see if we can geta fire lit under this thread again.

I'm the commish of a 17-team fantasy league made up of guys from FN. Some are on SH already, a couple were quickly shown the door but are, generally speaking, no worse than I am. Getting them on this thread could go a long way towards getting this thread fired up.

Atro can tend to get a bit overzealous at times, but he's funny as hell and knows baseball.

Captain, or Field Marshal Sunny Day, is one of the funniest dudes I've seen on the internets.

I can't say that those two wouldn't get into some shit around here, but I can tell you they're not trolls and I believe if I explained some ground rules to them, they could comply. If not, you could bounce them out again.

You want me to reach out to them?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the commish of a 17-team fantasy league made up of guys from FN. Some are on SH already, a couple were quickly shown the door but are, generally speaking, no worse than I am. Getting them on this thread could go a long way towards getting this thread fired up.

Atro can tend to get a bit overzealous at times, but he's funny as hell and knows baseball.

Captain, or Field Marshal Sunny Day, is one of the funniest dudes I've seen on the internets.

I can't say that those two wouldn't get into some shit around here, but I can tell you they're not trolls and I believe if I explained some ground rules to them, they could comply. If not, you could bounce them out again.

You want me to reach out to them?

Yeah, the door is wide open right now. We learned this concept called the Ignore feature. You put assholes on ignore and they go away. Then if/when enough people complain, we bounce 'em. Should have learned that way a long way ago and this thread would still be the shit. They just need to send an email via the Contact link at the bottom telling me who they were. I'll tell you though man unless you personally vouch for some of them I'll never let them back. They know who they are. I can deal with Atro but some of the others, never again.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoga! It just so happens I'm half gay and jew!

I know but the half gay was your Mom, so we just look the other way. The Hassidic sideburns are a bit much for here though, man. Trim that shit!

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing, I was in Brooklyn a couple weeks again. I have to tell you, it is not always easy to distinguish between hassidics and hipsters.

I have to go to Toronto from time to time on business, and every dude there seems gay to me. Obviously, they aren't, but they give off that vibe.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Bonilla's payday is here again.

Each year on July 1, from now until 2035, the former Major League Baseball player collects a check for $1,193,248.20 from the New York Mets.

The money is part of a deferred buyout deal – paid over 25 installments – that the team agreed to after the 1999 season. Bonilla was owed $5.9 million, but instead of simply footing the bill, the Mets agreed to a delayed annual payment plan that went into effect in 2011.

People always act like this was some slight of hand by Bonilla. Simply time value of money. Not even sure what interest rate this is. If Arod quit today and told the Yankees they could start making yearly payments in 10 years of his remaining salary, those payments would be enormous.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the door is wide open right now. We learned this concept called the Ignore feature. You put assholes on ignore and they go away. Then if/when enough people complain, we bounce 'em. Should have learned that way a long way ago and this thread would still be the shit. They just need to send an email via the Contact link at the bottom telling me who they were. I'll tell you though man unless you personally vouch for some of them I'll never let them back. They know who they are. I can deal with Atro but some of the others, never again.

I don't know any of the hockey guys that apparently started all that shit. They're not involved in my league.

All these guys are from FN's MLB threads. Most of them are tame as far as chat threads go and I just looked over the list and a lot of them are already here, but don't spend too much time in the MLB forum.

Atro and Captain are the only ones that have been previously banned from here.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always act like this was some slight of hand by Bonilla. Simply time value of money. Not even sure what interest rate this is. If Arod quit today and told the Yankees they could start making yearly payments in 10 years of his remaining salary, those payments would be enormous.

8%.

I agree it's not a sign of Bonilla's trickiness. It's a sign of the Mets' ineptitude.

Last edited:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing, I was in Brooklyn a couple weeks again. I have to tell you, it is not always easy to distinguish between hassidics and hipsters.

We all wear the same glasses, that's for sure

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I saw like, my long lost half-brother in the college football thread this morning: @Cowboyinexile . We MUST be blood, cause we have the same last name.

I hope he likes anchovies

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Arod quit today and told the Yankees they could start making yearly payments in 10 years of his remaining salary, those payments would be enormous.

Assuming the Yankees are current on Arod's pay, if he quit today, the Yankees wouldn't have to pay him anything.

However, if they did owe him, and agreed to suspend payments for ten years, then spread the principal and 8% APR over a 25-year loan, yes, the payments would be enormous. The Yankees wouldn't do that, though, because they're not retarded.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming the Yankees are current on Arod's pay, if he quit today, the Yankees wouldn't have to pay him anything.

However, if they did owe him, and agreed to suspend payments for ten years, then spread the principal and 8% APR over a 25-year loan, yes, the payments would be enormous. The Yankees wouldn't do that, though, because they're not retarded.

I don't know - are you certain that an 8% rate of return over a 10-35 year period is that difficult to accomplish? You're going to have bad stretches like 2008, but we're not talking double digit returns.

In 1980 the Dow was around 900. 35 years later its over 17,000, which is greater than an 8% return.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know - are you certain that an 8% rate of return over a 10-35 year period is that difficult to accomplish? You're going to have bad stretches like 2008, but we're not talking double digit returns.

In 1980 the Dow was around 900. 35 years later its over 17,000, which is greater than an 8% return.

It's not 8% over 35 years, it's 8% annually. If it was 8% over the life of the loan, Bonilla would have only gained $95,459 over the principal. As it was done, he's getting $28,637,957 over the principle. Big difference.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, the DOW going from 900 to 17,000 over 35 years is an average annual growth of about 8.5%

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not 8% over 35 years, it's 8% annually. If it was 8% over the life of the loan, Bonilla would have only gained $95,459 over the principal. As it was done, he's getting $28,637,957 over the principle. Big difference.

Still, you can't use "retarded" anymore. You have to say, "The Mets are a team with a developmental disability."

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the same subject (this is stolen from BigD by the way):

For some former players, the paychecks just keep coming.

•Manny Ramirez has a 16-year, $32 million deferred money deal from the Red Sox which, like Bonilla’s, kicked in on July 1, 2011. It costs them $1.968 million a year and goes through 2026 when Ramirez is 54;

•The Cardinals are paying Matt Holliday to pay now, but they’ll still be paying him through 2029 under the $120 million, seven-year contract he signed in 2010;

•Retired Rockies first baseman Todd Helton deferred $13 million of his 2011 salary (total was $19.1 million) and will be paid through 2024;

•The Nationals will pay Ryan Zimmerman $10 million over five years after he’s retired, with a nominal organization job;

•Ryan Braun will receive $18 million in payments in equal installments each July 1 from 2022 to 2031;

•The Tigers are still paying Gary Sheffield between $1 million and $2.5 million annually through 2019;

•The Mariners are paying Ichiro Suzuki a chunk of his last big deal through the year 2032;

•The Reds signed Ken Griffey Jr. to a $116.5 million contract in February 2000, but more than half of that is still being paid by the team and will continue to be so until Griffey is in his 50s.

My favorite one, however, has to be from my Atlanta Braves, who tried to make a big splash by signing Bruce Sutter before the 1985 season. He was a bust of course, but this is how he was paid. From a 1985 New York Times report:

Bruce Sutter was to receive payments totaling $44 million over the next 36 years from his new club, the Atlanta Braves . . . Sutter will receive a $750,000 salary for each of the next six years and a minimum of $1.12 million a year for the remaining 30 years of the contract. In addition, he will get the $9.1 million in so-called “principal” at the end.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the same subject (this is stolen from BigD by the way):

For some former players, the paychecks just keep coming.

•Manny Ramirez has a 16-year, $32 million deferred money deal from the Red Sox which, like Bonilla’s, kicked in on July 1, 2011. It costs them $1.968 million a year and goes through 2026 when Ramirez is 54;

•The Cardinals are paying Matt Holliday to pay now, but they’ll still be paying him through 2029 under the $120 million, seven-year contract he signed in 2010;

•Retired Rockies first baseman Todd Helton deferred $13 million of his 2011 salary (total was $19.1 million) and will be paid through 2024;

•The Nationals will pay Ryan Zimmerman $10 million over five years after he’s retired, with a nominal organization job;

•Ryan Braun will receive $18 million in payments in equal installments each July 1 from 2022 to 2031;

•The Tigers are still paying Gary Sheffield between $1 million and $2.5 million annually through 2019;

•The Mariners are paying Ichiro Suzuki a chunk of his last big deal through the year 2032;

•The Reds signed Ken Griffey Jr. to a $116.5 million contract in February 2000, but more than half of that is still being paid by the team and will continue to be so until Griffey is in his 50s.

My favorite one, however, has to be from my Atlanta Braves, who tried to make a big splash by signing Bruce Sutter before the 1985 season. He was a bust of course, but this is how he was paid. From a 1985 New York Times report:

Bruce Sutter was to receive payments totaling $44 million over the next 36 years from his new club, the Atlanta Braves . . . Sutter will receive a $750,000 salary for each of the next six years and a minimum of $1.12 million a year for the remaining 30 years of the contract. In addition, he will get the $9.1 million in so-called “principal” at the end.

Bwah! Man, that totally normalizes the Mets' ineptitude with the ca$h-monet. Any of those other teams know Bernie Madoff?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Hanigan set to return. Can only hope that means the end of the Sandy Leon era.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
google hope solo nude selfies. That chick gets nuts. That's the kind of girl that asks you to bring a stick of butter, a bowling pin and a plastic drop cloth to bed.

oh no doubt she's a dude but Christen Press, Julie Johnston and Alex Morgan are great to look at