• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'62 Mets pop the champagne for one more year

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, with the Atlanta Braves winning 6-3 over the St. Louis Cardinals last night, the most un-breakable record in major sports remains intact for yet another season.

Surviving members of the 1962 expansion New York Mets gathered in upstate Schenectady on Sunday, August 7th, to have a champagne toast to their vaunted squad that lost 120 times in their inaugural season.

Members have died, franchises have been born and passed away (sort of), Presidents have been elected and assassinated, and yet the aura of the '62 Mets remains inviolate.

No actual players could be reached for comment, as this was a private ceremony by invitation only, but this writer did speak with a former bat boy of that team: Marvin "Stumpy Marv" Hochenblash, of nearby Ballston Spa.

Stumpy Marv was a 16 year old high school freshman in 1962, and he remembers the team fondly: "Yeah, they used to try rubbing different part of my body for good luck. It started with the head, then went to other places like the chest, back, armpits...I don't even wanna TELL you where they started rubbing during that 17-game losing streak in May and June," the now-70 year old recalls, his eyes glazing over with what could be nostalgia. He continues with a faraway look, "Yep, those were some real men back then, not like these prima-donna fellers they got out there now."

Hochenblash has spent the last 40 years of his life over in Saratoga Springs, "renting" himself out for lucky rubs and pats to the crowds at the local horse races. "You gotta keep doin' what yer good at, I guess," Stumpy shrugs.

No word on how many of the former Mets players actually were at the event, but a local wine merchant did disclose that nearly a case of Spumoni had been purchased on Saturday evening (by a person who wished to remain anonymous) when the Braves trounced the Cards 13-5. The same wine merchant also disclosed that 8 bottles were returned unopened to his store on Monday morning.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im just thankful that is isnt my team taking their happy celebration away this year....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets 57-56

Yankees 57-56

Looks like another over hyped generation K is about to hit the shitter.

:trash:

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cobb county crackers going to win it all next year.....book it!! mlb will spot them 15 games just for the new stadium alone

Within a couple of years the Yanks and the Braves will have all their young kids up in the majors and things will go back to normal with them winning their divisions and the Yanks spanking them in the World Series.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets 57-56

Yankees 57-56

Looks like another over hyped generation K is about to hit the shitter.

:trash:

I hope someday your father explains to you what an ERA is. Until then, try not to get beat up too much by the sophomores during gym class

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope someday your father explains to you what an ERA is. Until then, try not to get beat up too much by the sophomores during gym class

Looks like someone is experiencing a bit of butt hurt.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you.

During gym class.

Like ya hero, fat-faced Jeetah

Used 2 B Hu used to have a sense of humor. The butt hurt is strong in this one.

All kidding aside I'd actually like to see the Mets turn it around and at least make the wild card along with the Marlins. Even if they don't their window is far from closed. Matz and Thor will have those bone chips cleaned out and Harvey will be back next year. I'll admit I'm baffled by their inability to hit with runners in scoring position but I've been watching the Yanks do the same exact shit for years now. It's like a virus that spreads through a team.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used 2 B Hu used to have a sense of humor. The butt hurt is strong in this one.

My mom still thinks I'm funny...

No wait, I mean YOUR mom!