• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6/22 Shark @ Bandits

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOT HEEEM !!!

Big K there.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cha-ching ! I had the Giants and the over.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another outstanding FYWW performance. Is it time to stop bitching about them?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough crowd.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a hell of a game!

I was not in a position to participate in the thread, but I listened to most of it.

This is one of those games you look back at and remember. This is a game that shows this team has that "it" that you need to make a dent.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. I shudder to think of what those guys went through. And came home and lived "normal' lives.

Yeah there wasn't any Ptsd back then. Some of them were just a little "off" for a few years and it was chalked up to battle fatigue, my father included.

Oh, and C'MON GNATS.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My grandfather was a Marine during WWII and wouldn't talk about the war until he hit his 80s. Finally got some stories out of him a few years ago but even then, he wouldn't talk much. Just mentioned how his unit was quarantined on a transport ship off Hawaii because a bunk mate died of meningitis (sp?) and how he was the guy that pulled the short straw when they were about to land on Iwo Jima. Apparently that meant he had to stay behind on the ship with the supplies. He tried to get a guy with a bum arm to swap with him, thinking that guy would be the least likely to make it. Instead, he was one of the only guys to make it back to the ship. Crazy stuff.

My dad had a few war stories (but he never had to charge into enemy fire). He went in to volunteer after Pearl, and they wouldn't take him (4F - his glasses were *literally* a half inch thick). He got his draft notice about 9 months later, goes down to the draft office with his 4F card and says "hey, there's been a mistake". The sgt at the front desk said "an officer has to handle this, there isn't one here and won't be until tonight - you'll have to wait a few hours. But you should just go through the line, you'll get rejected and you'll be done in 30-40 minutes." My dad always added at this point "if I knew then what I know now about army BS, I would have waited the several hours *IF what the sgt said was even true*". So he goes through the line and ends up being inducted because in that 9 month period Roosevelt signed a law that allowed drafting guys that couldn't go into combat, to free up the others from all the rear-echelon jobs. And since he was drafted, he went in as a private E1 instead of as an officer (which he would have if he had been taken when he volunteered). After a few years of army BS as enlisted, his "rear echelon" posting was the Philippines after it was 'retaken'. Of course that didn't stop the Japanese snipers in the hills around the base from taking a few pot-shots daily. He still had a couple of caps with bullet holes in them. ("I only kept the ones that weren't on the ground for more than a few minutes - otherwise they developed mold in a few days and I had to replace any clothing that they had touched because the clothes started to mold also".) The only 2 things he really bitched about were having to go in as enlisted, and the Philipines - he hated the place.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time the Giants had a walk-off inside-the-park HR, their season immediately went to crap...
That play was literally the end of Angel Pagan. He was never the same after that.