• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: GasMan @ Bucs

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whelp. I guess we'll need to survive another potential cockpunch...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how so, he immediate gave up a single.
If you can’t understand why, then it’s not worth explaining. Not going into technicalities or lawyer speak. I know you’re smart tho, and I know you know why.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Baragar joins the long line of worthless bullpen moundshatters.

Another cockpunch loss. Two more blown saves.

WORST BULLPEN IN THE MAJORS.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch. Ok now we are well and truly fucked. Get em tomorrow

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sharply hit. You can argue seeing eye but I’d disagree. But that was no weak one. Gaus was more bapip’d imhumbleo. That said you were right McGee did great.
I saw it the same way. Not a good pitch; not where Posey wanted it. And yet, not his fault?

okie dokie

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy...
1621044157080.png

So i bought a subscription to mlbtv ... who were our announcers tonight?

they sucked.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it the same way. Not a good pitch; not where Posey wanted it. And yet, not his fault?

okie dokie
The blown save part. Not the pitch thrown.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Baragar joins the long line of worthless bullpen moundshatters.

Another cockpunch loss. Two more blown saves.

WORST BULLPEN IN THE MAJORS.
I understand the lack of love for McGee. He's been downright brutal after a great two weeks to start the season but adding Baragar to the list of worthless bullpen pieces is a bit much. That was the first earned run he's allowed all season! Bad game? Yes. Bad season? Not even close.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy...
View attachment 270884

So i bought a subscription to mlbtv ... who were our announcers tonight?

they sucked.
Jon and Kruk had the game off, so the went with a 3-man rotation of Kuip, Flem and Estes. They are trying to find a suitable 5th out of Winn, Estes and Lopez. So far they are all meh at best. I had hopes for Affeldt, but he was too scatterbrained.

They just signed Pence for some in studio work. I suspect they intend on eventually give him some booth work, but from the very little I have seen of him in studio, he needs a LOT of work.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok ... a really tough loss ... but .... I also think I'm starting to understand what some of these damn rule changes are doing to us ... especially the 'man on 2nd' to start an extra inning. With a man already on 2nd you need a certain 'type' of reliever to start the inning. You really want a pitcher that throws 'Ks'. You don't want a 'contact' pitcher. Any compination of flyballs and slow grounders (first two batters) will usually result in that runner on second scoring. You have to stop the first batter from advancing the runner. Not an easy thing to do for our pen.
I'm also confused about how in hell they are looking at blown saves. With a runner already on second to start the inning ... it's pretty easy to allow that runner to score. Hell the reliever can record 3 straight outs ... on nothing hit hard ... and no errors ... and get a blown save or a loss in the process.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, not gonna blame a guy who comes in with no outs and a guy on third and a one run lead and he can't keep him from scoring. He then struck out the side.
I'm not blaming his for that necessarily. You can't come in and give up an immediate hit though. and it was on a bad pitch. Agreed, he was better yesterday than he has been. But, again, that's not saying much.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the lack of love for McGee. He's been downright brutal after a great two weeks to start the season but adding Baragar to the list of worthless bullpen pieces is a bit much. That was the first earned run he's allowed all season! Bad game? Yes. Bad season? Not even close.

Opening Day says "hi"

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok ... a really tough loss ... but .... I also think I'm starting to understand what some of these damn rule changes are doing to us ... especially the 'man on 2nd' to start an extra inning. With a man already on 2nd you need a certain 'type' of reliever to start the inning. You really want a pitcher that throws 'Ks'. You don't want a 'contact' pitcher. Any compination of flyballs and slow grounders (first two batters) will usually result in that runner on second scoring. You have to stop the first batter from advancing the runner. Not an easy thing to do for our pen.
I'm also confused about how in hell they are looking at blown saves. With a runner already on second to start the inning ... it's pretty easy to allow that runner to score. Hell the reliever can record 3 straight outs ... on nothing hit hard ... and no errors ... and get a blown save or a loss in the process.
Thats the cardinal rule of relief pitching. This is where McGee failed.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points. I do know that the runner starting on second in EIs, if he scores, is not an earned run. So, maybe it's not a blown save either?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the cardinal rule of relief pitching. This is where McGee failed.
While I agree with you conceptually ... I think the new rule change forces a team to look at the what is really meant by a 'refief pitcher;. I personally think that the defination is now much more 'situational' then ever before. Any relief pitcher starting an EXTRA INNING will inherit a runner at secons base. If they are a 'contact' pitcher and don't throw many strikeouts ... there is a real good chance that runner will score in that inning. Very hard to keep the runner at second if the ball is put into play. What you really want is a strikeout in this situation.

Many of the SF bullpen pitchers are not 'strikeout' pitchers. Only three of them have a better than 9.0 average per 9 innings. Rogers happens to have one of the lowest averages (4.7). He's a great contact pitcher but doesn't strikeout many batters. The ball will be put into play. It was yesterday.

McGee on the other hand has the best K rate on the team (13.7). He just couldn't hold the line with the first batter and it pushed us into extra innings. But, true to form ... he did strikeout the next 3 batters. He did allow us to stay in the game. You also have to remember that it wasn't the 'single' that he gave up that caused the extra innings .... a fly ball or a softly hit grounder would have resulted in the same result. He needed a strikeout. As a mater of fact ... he would have needed two strikeouts (no outs and a runner on 3rd) to preserve the lead.

I think this rule change may forever change how we look at the role of a relief pitcher. How many extra inning games will be lost simply because you don't have a relief pitcher that throws a lot of strikeouts .... and you start with a runner on second base ....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And McGee responds, "1 clean inning - 1 K and no runners put on"
My bad... confused him with that Wisler/Garcia special

Easy to do...the all SUCK.