• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#5 Los Angeles Kings vs. #6 San Jose Sharks - Western semis

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that rares' images/video do indeed bring some ambiguity into the situation. It would be interesting to know if Shanaban has access to all these different views and if they impact his final decision.

Shanahan sits in a dark room, looking at webcomics.

Door opens.

Campbell: Shanny, we have a hit to review. Torres.
Shanny: I thought we killed him.
C: Nope. He's still at it.
S: Will I be allowed to watch the tape this time?
C: Don't be silly. I have written your lines for you. This time, please try to emphasize the words "player safety". I detected a giggle when you announced the Gryba suspension.
S: Who?
C: The guy from the Senators? Remember the front page of the newspaper? And the input we got from that Canadiens message board?
S: Oh, right. I still wish I would have seen what caused that damage. That looked bad in that newspaper article.
C: Actually, the ice caused the damage. Hahahaha
S: Hahahahaha
C: So, here's the script. Repeat offender, player safety, targeted head, bad goatee.
S: What?
C: Dammit. Gary snuck that one in there. Good thing we review these.
S: So did he really do that stuff? I'd kind of like to see-
C: YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE IT. I HAVEN'T SEEN IT. IT DOESN'T MATTER! IT'S TORRES - HE'S SUSPENDED!
S: Okay, okay, okay. Was just saying... So what did he say when he got here?
C: He isn't here yet.
S: You've already made the decision before talking to him?
C: Stop asking questions, or we will cut off your internet access.
S: Yes, Master.
C: This decision was made last series. We just had to wait for him to hit someone. Now get in there and do your camera work.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's Kerry Fraser's take:

Torres was closing in on Stoll in anticipation of making an open-ice hit but in doing so, Torres makes Stoll's head the principle point of contact, causing injury.

As the illegal check to head penalty (Rule 48) states: "A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted."

There appears to be no malicious intent by Torres on the play. Stoll is eligible to be checked on the play and Torres does not extend an elbow or launch into the head of Stoll. However, Torres' route is not correct and he does not make enough of a full body check for this hit not to qualify as an illegal check to the head. In attempting this check, Torres does not hit squarely enough through the body. Stoll's head is the principle point of contact and the subsequent contact to Stoll's right shoulder is secondary.

It is important to note that while receiving a pass or carrying a puck anywhere on the ice, a hockey player bears some responsibility to be aware of an impending check. However, since the inception of the current illegal check to the head penalty, no player should expect that his head will be made the principle point of contact, whether intentionally or as it appears on this play, recklessly.

Taking into account the significant contact to the head, as well as the fact that Torres does not hit Stoll through the body, he does not succeed with his attempt to make a legal check.

• In summary, this was an illegal check to the head
• Stoll was ultimately injured as a result of this hit (did not return for the third period)
• Torres has been suspended during his career

While the circumstance surrounding every play is unique, there are often common threads and similarities that do exist for the purpose of determining suspensions.

Ive really grown tired of Kerry Fraser ... his explanations read like he writes the explanations for Shanahan and the league

saw it asked the other day ... why doesnt tsn ever have Fraser give "live" explanations on controversial calls? ... why do they always pre-tape the segments with him?

and this:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 17m Just acknowledge the absurdity of a game that allows physical contact but suspends people if they miss a bit.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean

who pays Kerry Fraser

Is it TSN?

Is it the NHL?

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

/BRONZE!!!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean

who pays Kerry Fraser

Is it TSN?

Is it the NHL?

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

/BRONZE!!!

love the bronze addendum :D

/For what it's worth, Fraser thought the Gryba hit on Eller was a hockey play with a terrible outcome, yet that didn't stop Shanaban from handing down a two game suspension.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dougie Wilson just wanted to earn some frequent flyer miles or why waste your time going out there?

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dougie Wilson just wanted to earn some frequent flyer miles or why waste your time going out there?

because I think Raffi totally deserves the backing of the team here. that hit didnt look too bad to me. hes being unfairly punished for reputation and I think a new rule should be put if you claim that your player is going to be out for teh whole series (ala Sutter) then he is out the whole series regardless of injury or not. Im tired of the opposite team playing the media and using emotions to get longer suspensions. its worse to the game than diving.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Door opens.

C: Don't be silly. I have written your lines for you. This time, please try to emphasize the words "player safety". I detected a giggle when you announced the Gryba suspension.
C: The guy from the Senators? Remember the front page of the newspaper? And the input we got from that Canadiens message board?
S: Oh, right. I still wish I would have seen what caused that damage. That looked bad in that newspaper article.
C: So, here's the script. Repeat offender, player safety, targeted head, bad goatee.
C: YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE IT. I HAVEN'T SEEN IT. IT DOESN'T MATTER! IT'S TORRES - HE'S SUSPENDED!
C: This decision was made last series. We just had to wait for him to hit someone. Now get in there and do your camera work.

Have a slice.

:pizza:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooh, this will get the juices flowing:

Los Angeles coach Darryl Sutter implied Wednesday that Stoll could be out for a significant length of time after getting hit by Torres, who has a history of dangerous play.

Torres hit Stoll late in the second period of the defending Stanley Cup champions' 2-0 victory over San Jose on Tuesday. Stoll didn't return.

Torres is expected to have an in-person disciplinary hearing with NHL officials over the hit. Game 2 is Thursday night.

Sutter says he thought the hit was "careless." A suspension for Torres wouldn't make him feel better because "our player is quite a bit more important than theirs."

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dave-

How do practices work at the Toyota Sports complex (or whatever it's called) in El Segundo? Open to the public during the regular season? Not playoffs, I assume?

I've never gone but I live so damn close that I really should someday.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dave-

How do practices work at the Toyota Sports complex (or whatever it's called) in El Segundo? Open to the public during the regular season? Not playoffs, I assume?

I've never gone but I live so damn close that I really should someday.

Open and free all the time
Until the finals last year
They had to limit the amount of people.
They then moved practice to Staples
Still free but not as easy to get to players

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Open and free all the time
Until the finals last year
They had to limit the amount of people.
They then moved practice to Staples
Still free but not as easy to get to players

Got it, thanks!

Saw this pic from LeBrun at practice this morning and it reminded me to ask.

BKVFb5KCMAEtGkS.jpg:large

That's in El Segundo, not at Staples, right?

(but I know both teams practiced at Staples yesterday, I think? so maybe they switch it up? weird...)

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it, thanks!

(but I know both teams practiced at Staples yesterday, I think? so maybe they switch it up? weird...)

Yep TSC
Very nice facility. Lakers practice there as well but you cant get in their half. There in an olympic size rink as well as roller hockey rinks.
Check kings insider and many times he will post Kings practice times. Not sure about visitor practice. Maybe call the rink

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep TSC
Very nice facility. Lakers practice there as well but you cant get in their half. There in an olympic size rink as well as roller hockey rinks.
Check kings insider and many times he will post Kings practice times. Not sure about visitor practice. Maybe call the rink

Sharks usually keep their practices closed to the public home and away.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they may not be able to here. The galley above the bleachers leads to the pro shop, snack bar and also the other rink. If something is going on that rink you can at least watch both rinks. It is behind glass but there are tables and chairs. There is a securtity guard by the main entry but it is a very open facility. Worth a try if you are in the area

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Door opens.

Or Campbell walks in & says, "Shanny, let me introduce you to Angel Hernandez. He's brought along his own 9" monitor to watch the Torres replay. Good luck, guys". :gaah:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep TSC

Awesome, will keep all this in mind if there is a game 5/7, thanks.

Yeah, always drove by the facility when I worked in El Segundo and knew that the Kings/Lakers practice there (couldn't care less about basketball though) but never stopped by.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A repeat offender goes out of his way to lay a body check and the principal point of contact (based on the video I have seen) is Stoll's head. Stoll is likely out with a concussion for who knows how long. Isn't this why Rule 48 was brought into the league?

I don't blame the San Jose coach for standing up for Torres, but let's just say Brown laid a similiar hit on Couture that Torres did on Stoll last night. Would he feel the same way?

Also, should we throw all the rules away because it's playoff hockey? Apparently, based on most of the games I've watched, that's exactly what is happening.

TBH, if it was the same hit, I actually would say the same thing (just not with nearly as much passion hah). It simply was not a dirty hit.

Too much on this hit now, it was a real well played game last night we should be talking about that!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it, thanks!

I left my wallet there.

I gotta get it. Got got to get it.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because I think Raffi totally deserves the backing of the team here. that hit didnt look too bad to me. hes being unfairly punished for reputation and I think a new rule should be put if you claim that your player is going to be out for teh whole series (ala Sutter) then he is out the whole series regardless of injury or not. Im tired of the opposite team playing the media and using emotions to get longer suspensions. its worse to the game than diving.

That is an interesting point. I have seen the media leveraging before but never thought about it in the same category as diving. I agree it seems like a passive aggressive way to try and gain an advantage and detracts focus from the sport.