• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.23 Son Of Ty @ Twinkies

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the Under, 8 even

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a beautiful game. Only blemish were the two bombs but when its warm in MPLS the ball flies at that park. Cobbs gotta be an early favorite for the ASG, no?

Along with Tyro.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a beautiful game. Only blemish were the two bombs but when its warm in MPLS the ball flies at that park. Cobbs gotta be an early favorite for the ASG, no?

Along with Tyro.
What, no Brebbia?

If Doval keeps this up, he should be there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Along with Tyro.
Davis too maybe? Doval likely.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASG talk with the Giants should start with LaMonte Wade, Jr. He is currently tied for 8th (with Juan Soto) in the NL, among qualified players, in OPS+. Unfortunately, two of the guys above him (Freeman and Goldschmidt) are well known 1st basemen and another, Luis Arraez, is also above him. Rowdy Tellez is just one point lower than him as well. He is the best hitter on the Giants' squad and may not even make it into the ASG, as it currently stands.

JD Davis is in a three way tie for 15th, along with Max Muncy and Patrick Wisdom. All three play 3rd base. No other 3rd basemen are above them but you know that Arenado is going to get votes.

Thairo Estrada is 20th among NL batters in OPS+. Unless you count Ian Happ, I don't know what his primary position is this year, there are no 2nd basemen above Estrada. Ketel Marte, at 28th, is the closest below him (28 points below Estrada's OPS+). He should be the starter there.

The NL doesn't have a lot of good hitters. The 57th best qualified hitter, Miguel Vargas of the Dodgers, has an OPS+ of 100. That means Michael Conforto ranks at 51, with an OPS+ of 103. However, 20 of the 50 players above him are outfielders. His chances are slim.

I don't have time to look at pitchers, so this is it for me tonight.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb and Wade are our front runners for the ASG, with Tyro making a nice push and Davis knocking on the door.

If I were betting, I would say only Cobb, though. Wades numbers, while worthy, are not overpowering enough to make up for his lack of a name. Tyro is the clear #2 2B in the NL, but he is well behind the top guy, and 2B is often a position that goes to representation for the bad teams.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb and Wade are our front runners for the ASG, with Tyro making a nice push and Davis knocking on the door.

If I were betting, I would say only Cobb, though. Wades numbers, while worthy, are not overpowering enough to make up for his lack of a name. Tyro is the clear #2 2B in the NL, but he is well behind the top guy, and 2B is often a position that goes to representation for the bad teams.
We need to keep in mind that the 15 teams in the NL provide 34 players (the size of the squad). That's an average of 2.267 players per team.

So unless our fans stuff the ballot boxes (I'll refrain from any analogies), we will, at most get 2, possibly 3 players total.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the Marlins were mainly playing Arraez at 1st base. I checked and was wrong. You are correct, as of today, he is the clear frontrunner for starting at 2nd base in the ASG. However, I'd argue that Estrada is the clear backup. His closest competitior is Tommy Edman but Edman just recently slid over from short to 2nd so I'm not sure how that will work for the selection process.

As for Wade, if 3 1st basemen get in, then he has a chance. Otherwise, you are right, he probably only makes the biggest All-Star snubs list.
Davis may make that list too. Arenado, regardless of his numbers, will probably start. Muncy muscles in based on his hometeam (and would make the HOF if he hit against all teams like he does against the Giants). That may leave Davis on the outside, with Wade.

I think Doval is going to make the game. Hader is the only guy that looks better than him and has a name history. Devin Williams has been good but the number of saves may actually factor against him. Doval currently leads the league in saves (by one over Hader). Alexis Diaz and David Bednar look good but Bednar is on a team that may have multiple representatives (maybe more than the Giants). Diaz is an unknown and the Reds don't completely lack for possible representatives (at least offensively). I think Doval has a good shot.

Cobb has a nice ERA (2nd) but his total Ks ranks 22 in the NL and his WHIP is 21st. There are a total of 37 starters that are currently ranked in the NL (BBRef).
Compare to Webb - ERA (6th), Ks (7th) and WHIP (10th) - and DeSclafani - ERA (13th), Ks (40th) and WHIP (3rd). I know you look at more advanced metrics but the fans don't and neither do most of the players. I think Cobb is in the conversation but Webb may have the edge on making the team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, no Brebbia?

If Doval keeps this up, he should be there.
Good point on Doval. We could have 3-4 guys make it.

Brebbs...he's being promoted to the Superleague.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASG talk with the Giants should start with LaMonte Wade, Jr. He is currently tied for 8th (with Juan Soto) in the NL, among qualified players, in OPS+. Unfortunately, two of the guys above him (Freeman and Goldschmidt) are well known 1st basemen and another, Luis Arraez, is also above him. Rowdy Tellez is just one point lower than him as well. He is the best hitter on the Giants' squad and may not even make it into the ASG, as it currently stands.

JD Davis is in a three way tie for 15th, along with Max Muncy and Patrick Wisdom. All three play 3rd base. No other 3rd basemen are above them but you know that Arenado is going to get votes.

Thairo Estrada is 20th among NL batters in OPS+. Unless you count Ian Happ, I don't know what his primary position is this year, there are no 2nd basemen above Estrada. Ketel Marte, at 28th, is the closest below him (28 points below Estrada's OPS+). He should be the starter there.

The NL doesn't have a lot of good hitters. The 57th best qualified hitter, Miguel Vargas of the Dodgers, has an OPS+ of 100. That means Michael Conforto ranks at 51, with an OPS+ of 103. However, 20 of the 50 players above him are outfielders. His chances are slim.

I don't have time to look at pitchers, so this is it for me tonight.
good research. Goldy isn't having a great year so far, so that opens up a crack for LWJ. You are absolutely correct that he is tragically overlooked this year. He's been excellent, and his defense has been solid.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good research. Goldy isn't having a great year so far, so that opens up a crack for LWJ. You are absolutely correct that he is tragically overlooked this year. He's been excellent, and his defense has been solid.
Thank you.

I'm not sure I'd say that Goldy isn't having a great year, at least relative to the rest of the NL. His OPS+ is tied for 4th best among all NL qualifiers (and just two points below Freeman's). Expand the qualifiers to at least 97 PAs, and he is still top 10 (7th place) in OPS+. Wade's OPS+ would be 13th under that expanded list.