• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.24 Morning Disco @ Twinkies

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe tweak here or there. I’m actually fine with the way it is now. The human element and not so perfect umpiring is what makes it what it is. You’ll never get a perfect, quick game which is what some people are looking for.
I can’t stand error in the surrounding elements. If the players make an error, so be it. That needs to be factored into the recipe for the team. But we don’t use a hanging string to represent the fair pole, because that would be stupid. Why use the same technology we used in 1874 to determine B/S when we have the potential for a MUCH more accurate method using 2023 technology?

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a six spot here.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t stand error in the surrounding elements. If the players make an error, so be it. That needs to be factored into the recipe for the team. But we don’t use a hanging string to represent the fair pole, because that would be stupid. Why use the same technology we used in 1874 to determine B/S when we have the potential for a MUCH more accurate method using 2023 technology?

To each his own. I like the old school the way the game was invented. You like the more modern version using as much technology as possible. Not gonna say you’re wrong in what you want.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's done very well in tennis, for many years now.

And it's not only umps getting calls wrong, but the consistency is often lacking. In a game where millimeters count, if I was pitching, or hitting for that matter, and one pitch was a strike, and an identical pitch later on was a ball, that would drive me insane.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own. I like the old school the way the game was invented. You like the more modern version using as much technology as possible. Not gonna say you’re wrong in what you want.
I actually am more old school. But I apply my old school to the GAME. I don’t consider the umps part of the GAME.

I can’t stand the DH
I love instant replay (in a timely manner)
I hate the 3 batter rule
I have come around on the WC (2 teams, not 3)
I hate the ghost runner IN THE 10TH (I would be fine with it starting in the 11th or 12th, and even advancing the runner an extra base after that)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's done very well in tennis, for many years now
I don’t follow tennis, but I have heard this. And I haven’t heard any detractors to it.

That said, a 3-dimensional volume that is unique for every single player is different from a static measurement on a flat surface.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t follow tennis, but I have heard this. And I haven’t heard any detractors to it.

That said, a 3-dimensional volume that is unique for every single player is different from a static measurement on a flat surface.
It would seem to be an easy hurdle to clear. I'm no expert in the field (or in any other!) but I would think they could include an optically detectable marker in the uniforms without a lot of difficulty, if they would even need one at all. Perhaps an infrared signature of the hitter's body would be sufficient.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the players will take exception to a human umpire's call, but when they request a computer replay and call, they shut right the hell up when they show it, every time.

main-qimg-1de6beb0173a0260ecbe4d1a30a5b279-lq

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would seem to be an easy hurdle to clear. I'm no expert in the field (or in any other!) but I would think they could include an optically detectable marker in the uniforms without a lot of difficulty, if they would even need one at all. Perhaps an infrared signature of the hitter's body would be sufficient.
I don’t think they want the zone to be dynamic. I think they want a firm zone for every player. So having sensors on the uniform is likely a non-starter. Not to mention having live sensors opens the door to massive manipulation.

I think getting the player’s zone measurements would be part of the “first day package” that all players need to complete before appearing in a game.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they want the zone to be dynamic. I think they want a firm zone for every player. So having sensors on the uniform is likely a non-starter. Not to mention having live sensors opens the door to massive manipulation.

I think getting the player’s zone measurements would be part of the “first day package” that all players need to complete before appearing in a game.
But IMHO you have to allow for a player being able to adjust his stance. It would be easy and foolproof to do that, I'm sure.

But somehow it wouldn't be the same having Earl Weaver kick dirt on a computer screen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But IMHO you have to allow for a player being able to adjust his stance. It would be easy and foolproof to do that, I'm sure.
I don’t know that human umps take that into account today. So I don’t know how important it would be moving forward. And even taking initial static measurements for each player opens up for gamesmanship. A smart player will pose with a very “squatty” stance (think Phil Plantier) for his measuring session, but stand upright when he actually hits.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know that human umps take that into account today. So I don’t know how important it would be moving forward. And even taking initial static measurements for each player opens up for gamesmanship. A smart player will pose with a very “squatty” stance (think Phil Plantier) for his measuring session, but stand upright when he actually hits.
And either detectable markers in the uniform, or better, real-time IR signatures would solve that.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually am more old school. But I apply my old school to the GAME. I don’t consider the umps part of the GAME.

I can’t stand the DH
Keep it in the AL
I love instant replay (in a timely manner)
For what it was intended for, homeruns and foul balls
I hate the 3 batter rule
Get rid of it
I have come around on the WC (2 teams, not 3)
I agree
I hate the ghost runner IN THE 10TH (I would be fine with it starting in the 11th or 12th, and even advancing the runner an extra base after that)
The ghost runner should never be used

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ghost runner should never be used
all other sports have a kind of bastardization to the game after regulation to get the game over in a reasonable time. I prefer letting the game go (part of the marathon), but offering some kind of solution is ok imho. Using the ghost runner as a concept is fine, but it needs tweaks.

Something like…

11th Inning - runner on 1st
12th Inning - runner on 2nd
13th inning - runner on 3rd
14th inning - runners on 1st and 2nd
15th inning - runners on 1st and 3rd
etc…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would think this can all be done via AI...my wife works in this area with fashion. The cameras are that good now.