• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers will regret letting go of Harbaugh

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you consider that Harbaugh himself wants to leave?

If he wants to leave and you force him to stay, what result would you expect? If the GM and HC are butting heads on the draft, and personnel moves, what result would you expect?

you can't just separate his Coaching and "personality", and say keep his coaching no matter what.

I agree I think this has more to do with Harbaugh wanting to leave.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was wondering if the whole LMJ thing was a symptom of the head butting. Drafted in the 2nd round (too high), but certainly had the skills and athleticism and speed to do well. And he never saw the field. Was LMJ drafted by Balke ("look, he's so fast, let's draft him") but Harbs refused to play him, ala Coach Fisher in "The Natural" ("You may have a contract, but I'm not going to play you.") Unless LMJ was just totally a product of the system in college and a complete disaster as a pro.

it may have been in this case? I'd think this would play out more for mid and late round picks, but the idea is the same. A HC who butted heads with the GM, can play his games too.

Now I don't think a Coach would totally sit a very good player 'just because', but he might reduce reps for a 'gray area' player?

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a guy running the organization who should not be running the organization, a 34 son-of-owner with little experience doing anything but being son-of-owner and newbie NFL executive. This whole things bodes very very poorly for this team.

I can't agree with that. I don't want Harbaugh gone either and think the ego's of everyone involved is just ridiculous, but compare the team to when Jed started running the team compared to his father and it's night and day.

His father had a reputation for being cheap (remember the office supplies stories?), but with Jed at the helm he's consistently made improvements to facilities, got a stadium done when no one thought that had any chance of it happening, and the team started winning again. We can say he lucked out with Harbaugh or whatever, but if we want to blame a guy for what's gone wrong on his tenure we need to give credit too.

We're not pocketing salary cap money like other teams used to (even though the CBA basically prevents that now), we've taken care of our core players, and no one can accuse this team of being cheap anymore. Jed York has made damaging mistakes like any 34 year old would being the head of a business, but we can be thankful he's not Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, or a lot of other NFL owners who are much older.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers will indeed regret this decision

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers will indeed regret this decision

again, is it the 49ers sole decision to make?

being under contract the technical answer is yes, but in reality IF Harbaugh wants to leave, it isn't their sole decision.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand it's all about the front office not wanting to extend Harbaughs contract. That, on the surface appears to mean that they don't want him

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 9ers will descend into mediocrity for a few years after Harbaugh. Kaepernik may move on. Gore and Vernon davis certainly will.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From what I understand it's all about the front office not wanting to extend Harbaughs contract. That, on the surface appears to mean that they don't want him

From what you understand, has Harbaugh indicated he wants to stay with the 49ers?

Has HE indicated he wants to extend his contract?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what you understand, has Harbaugh indicated he wants to stay with the 49ers?

Great post. i agree 100% I haven't heard harbaugh come out and say he wants to stay. He always says he is worried about the team in front of them and not worried about his future. I think harbaugh will also regret this decision. He has a great situation here(new Stadium, great players and a great fan base). Have fun in Oakland, Bears, Miami or any NY team. Grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I blame both sides.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It HAS been publicized that the 9ers did not want to extend his contract. Harbaugh probably DID want to stay up to that point. But after they declined he probably wanted to part ways as well. I don't know about you, but if someone told me they didn't want me. I wouldn't want to stay. all this is because of the front office

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 49ers have tried extending his contract twice already prior to this season.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh did want an extension and to stay the 49ers coach. The problem was he wanted top tier coaching money, and the 49ers Front Office balked at paying that since he had not provided a Super Bowl win. They shelved the extension plans and came into this year agreeing to talk about the extension after the season. At some point during this though management decided they wanted to just move on.

Harbaugh might want to leave now, but he did not before the season started. He simply wanted what he felt he was worth after 3 straight NFC Championship game appearances. If York were to call him and say lets find a way to make this work Harbaugh wouldn't be leaving.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How and why does anyone know anything about the goings on between Harbaugh and the FO? Who exactly is leaking all these stories to the media? I'm confused as to why people seem so certain about what has or hasn't happened. Where are we getting this information from?

Obviously something is off between the two, but who really knows?

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't agree with that. I don't want Harbaugh gone either and think the ego's of everyone involved is just ridiculous, but compare the team to when Jed started running the team compared to his father and it's night and day.

His father had a reputation for being cheap (remember the office supplies stories?), but with Jed at the helm he's consistently made improvements to facilities, got a stadium done when no one thought that had any chance of it happening, and the team started winning again. We can say he lucked out with Harbaugh or whatever, but if we want to blame a guy for what's gone wrong on his tenure we need to give credit too.

We're not pocketing salary cap money like other teams used to (even though the CBA basically prevents that now), we've taken care of our core players, and no one can accuse this team of being cheap anymore. Jed York has made damaging mistakes like any 34 year old would being the head of a business, but we can be thankful he's not Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, or a lot of other NFL owners who are much older.

What qualifies Jed to run this organization, other than being sonny boy of owner? Nothing. Yes, getting Harbaugh was a great (and pretty dang obvious) move. And now he is going to blow that all up. Good luck finding a coach who is as good as Harbs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What qualifies Jed to run this organization, other than being sonny boy of owner? Nothing. Yes, getting Harbaugh was a great (and pretty dang obvious) move. And now he is going to blow that all up. Good luck finding a coach who is as good as Harbs.

We might not find a better HC but we will find a better OC. This was Harbaugh's down fall keeping Roman.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How and why does anyone know anything about the goings on between Harbaugh and the FO? Who exactly is leaking all these stories to the media? I'm confused as to why people seem so certain about what has or hasn't happened. Where are we getting this information from?

Obviously something is off between the two, but who really knows?

I think much of it is speculation. I read all the 49er stories in the media and listen to the beat writers that cover the team on KNBR. Alot of it was things they heard or often times they just speculate on things.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It hasn't been long enough to judge Jed York as an Owner, but I wouldn't say "nothing" in terms of qualifications?

I recall reading about his involvement since his father took over? It wasn't as though he was on Mars and suddenly took over 'sight unseen'. At first he wasn't in any official capacity, but he got involved with the 'comings and goings' for a time. We read he went to meetings within the 49er organization, so he wasn't JUST "sonny boy".

I also recall at the time, writers were saying how good he was at understanding things. That he had the potential to become the Owner.

How did the other 31 NFL Owners become qualified?

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It hasn't been long enough to judge Jed York as an Owner, but I wouldn't say "nothing" in terms of qualifications?

I recall reading about his involvement since his father took over? It wasn't as though he was on Mars and suddenly took over 'sight unseen'. At first he wasn't in any official capacity, but he got involved with the 'comings and goings' for a time. We read he went to meetings within the 49er organization, so he wasn't JUST "sonny boy".

I also recall at the time, writers were saying how good he was at understanding things. That he had the potential to become the Owner.

How did the other 31 NFL Owners become qualified?

Do you really think that if the owner went on a free ranging search for the best executive to run the 49ers he would have come up with his son? Out of the universe of available guys? No way. Just nepotism, and based on that the odds of Jed being really good at his job are pretty slim. He was not selected because he had demonstrated ability, he got selected because he is owners-son.

Someone posted elsewhere a little tidbit, that said that in asking around the league a big problem with the Niners is the front office. No much to on there I know but it was a good poster. Letting go of an extremely successful HC will be a ridiculous move and an indication of serious serious issues. Those issues will affect our team and our enjoyment of the team. What are the odds do you think of the niners find a coach as good as Harbaugh? I would put it at less than 25%.