• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers want to move in top 14

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd like to stay put.

I think at 31 we can get a future starting DL man, and at 34 we can get a starting safety. Then with the 61st pick we take BPA.

Then in the 3rd rounds and later I'd be up for moving up a little to grab guys I want, and use up some of the later round picks that way.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for getting a high first next year. But the niners really don't need that many picks next draft either. They will get a second from the Alex Smith trade, a third from losing Goldson, a fourth from losing Walker, 2 sixth from losing RJF and Soap, and a seventh from trading Collin Jones. They still have all their picks from next season as well I believe. That means they will have 12 picks so far next season. If the 9ers can't get a 1st round that has the real likelihood of behind a very high pick as in a top 5 pick, then move up this year and get a good impact player this year. They can do the same next year too or trade into the following year that draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd like to stay put.

I think at 31 we can get a future starting DL man, and at 34 we can get a starting safety. Then with the 61st pick we take BPA.

Then in the 3rd rounds and later I'd be up for moving up a little to grab guys I want, and use up some of the later round picks that way.

I'm totally with you on that strategy. Along with sprinkling in a trade back or two in the mid rounds to stockpile some 2014 picks.

This team is ready to make a big splash move for an impact players, but I'd really like to avoid the temptation and sit tight for just one more year.

I've been saying the same thing for the last two years, but I see no compelling reason to make the move in this particular draft with so much talent waiting for us with the first two picks at need positions.

Next year will really be the time for a big splash move though because the offensive/defensive depth should really be fully topped off after this draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Far be it for me to question our coaching staff...

But I hope this draft focuses on legit rotational players to help out the defense. The defense grew softer and softer as the season went on, and a lack of a true rotation is partly to blame for that. How high of a percent of plays can a starter really sustain without crashing and burning toward the end of the season? I'm not sure I like trading up to 14 or higher, unless it's for a can't miss type talent. Trading back or trading for picks next year is fine as long as they draft solid help to spell the starters on a consistant basis...

Just my :2cents:

yep, for this season they'll spell the starters, but next season we're really looking for starters. with a deep draft like this, we could get starters into round 2.

next season we don't HAVE to get rid of anybody, but obviously nice to have options.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to stay put.

I don't disagree with the bolded, but I think of things a bit differently in that we need a replacement for the individual player in order for the entire defense to stay in the upper echelon. What I mean is that Justin Smith is more then a starting DL. He's one of the best at his position. What we need is someone that possesses his talent, motor, and potentially his skill set. Drafting someone like Richardson at 13-14 is different then drafting someone like Hunt at 31. The talent may be there but Hunt strikes me as a long term project, something we don't have the time to develop given that JS is in his last yr on his contract and will be 35 by season's end. Richardson is someone that can step in next season and potentially not see too much of a dropoff in production.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
There are only 4 players for whom I think it would be worth trading up to the top 10: Anzah, Milliner, Cooper & Warmack.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick, you like Milliner that much? I actually liked Hayden and Rhodes as much, if not more, then Milliner. I am somewhat leery of Alabama defenders as they all work well collectively but I feel as if their collective success tends to overrate their individual performance.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick, you like Milliner that much? I actually liked Hayden and Rhodes as much, if not more, then Milliner. I am somewhat leery of Alabama defenders as they all work well collectively but I feel as if their collective success tends to overrate their individual performance.

Milliner isn't a Patrick Peterson or Morris Claiborn type of prospect, but I think he's one of the safer picks in the draft, and I think there's gonna be a severe need for CBs next year. That's why I listed him. But I like the other 3 guys significantly more.

I also think the Niners may have something in Joe Looney, so the only one I'd really, really, really want is Anzah. The dude's a monster.

Even so, trading out of the 1st round for a future 1st is #1 on my wish list. I'm convinced Carradine, Eifert & Jarvis Jones will all be gone at 31 (Jones might fall to the 2nd round, but I doubt it), and I'll bet Eric Reid & Hunter will be gone too. All the guys I loved in the 2nd round all offseason are looking like 1st rounders now. :(

Plus, I still think Hankins is the 2nd best defensive prospect in the entire draft, and he's looking like a mid-2nd. If the niners trade out of the 31 spot for a future 1st & a pick in the 55-70ish range, they could trade back up with the multitude of lower picks in order to get Hankins. If Baalke does that, I will fly to NYC and kiss him on the lips.

...Not really, but I'd want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really feel that we need to improve our speed on Defense- front 3 or 4 and also the DBs. Go 49ers!!

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hoping this is just a rumor. In a draft this deep, and this light at the top, trading up that far doesn't appeal. I could live with a short trade up to target a guy we love, but my preference is to maximize our second and third-round picks while trying to stockpile future picks.

This is my preference as well. I really like Richardson, but don't want the 49ers to have to trade up to the top 15 to get him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am all for getting a high first next year. But the niners really don't need that many picks next draft either. They will get a second from the Alex Smith trade, a third from losing Goldson, a fourth from losing Walker, 2 sixth from losing RJF and Soap, and a seventh from trading Collin Jones. They still have all their picks from next season as well I believe. That means they will have 12 picks so far next season. If the 9ers can't get a 1st round that has the real likelihood of behind a very high pick as in a top 5 pick, then move up this year and get a good impact player this year. They can do the same next year too or trade into the following year that draft.

There's a fair chance none of those things will happen. The Smith pick is a 3rd that can become a 2nd based on team and individual performance. I'm assuming part of the team performance would be a playoff appearance. Denver all but has that division locked up, so it's likely KC would need to make a run at the wild card for us to get a 2nd rounder.

As for the rest, the FAs we added count against the players we lost. We have added Dorsey, Dahl, Dawson, and Skuta to offset the five guys we lost. And Ginn might not count against the comp pick formula. As of right now, I think we're looking at two comp picks max, and more likely one or none.

The benefit of trading into the future is that you can raise the value of your picks, and that's something that would serve this team well. Definitely something we should consider in any round, but particularly the fourth and fifth.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are only 4 players for whom I think it would be worth trading up to the top 10: Anzah, Milliner, Cooper & Warmack.

Star, Ansah, Mingo, Austin, Patterson.

Milliner's medical record is scaring me, and plus you can get someone like Hayden who's almost as talented as he is without having to trade up to acquire him.

Warmack and Cooper would be playing center for us in our system. Not willing to trade up for any center regardless of how talented you are.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Word! I feel the same way.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really feel that we need to improve our speed on Defense- front 3 or 4 and also the DBs. Go 49ers!!

Mingo is your guy. Jordan is not sliding out of the top 5, so he is out of our reach for sure.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 NFL Draft: 5 teams reportedly aim to trade down - NFL.com

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that no less than five teams -- the Eagles, Lions, Browns, Bills and Dolphins -- have made calls about trading down in the first round.

I guess there are plenty of interested parties if the 49ers are looking to move up.

#4 Eagles
#5 Lions
#6 Browns
#8 Bills
#12 Dolphins

Some interesting picks available.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wonder if the Dolphins would take somewhat of a discount since they are looking to get out... Something like 31, 61, 2nd next yr?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if the Dolphins would take somewhat of a discount since they are looking to get out... Something like 31, 61, 2nd next yr?

in the past, the team wanting to move up, also give up more. but now post CBA, it appears to be the reverse? or is it due to this class being weak at the top?

seems like multiple teams want to move down badly, so maybe they do give up more......or should i say they'll take less?

don't see us moving up that high (13 or 14), just doesn't seem like the value is much greater there?