• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Trade for Eric Wright

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The San Francisco 49ers have traded with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for CB Eric Wright.

I'd immagine he'll become their nickle CB behind Carlos Rogers and Nnamdi Asomugha. He did very well in the nickel role for us in 2011 and should add to what's already the best defense in the league...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this means you will soon post... that whoever is the odd man out in San Fran should be brought in for a looksie right? Afterall he played a season or two for the 49er's....

Sorry Tpaul had to do it:suds:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disregarding that sarcasm, I don't think we have much room for a guy who would be a 5th or 6th CB. Those spots are taken for us with a few young kids that would be hard to improve on via other team's cuts.

Other years I probably would have said just that, though...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp, this just got interesting.

Wright failed his physical with the 49ers leading to the trade falling through. The Bucs subsequently cut him.

He had success with us in the nickel role, and decent CBs can be tough to come by one the cheap, but is there any room?

We have Houston, then a bunch of promising young kids with Ron Bartell providing veteran insurance. I don't see where Wright would fit.

Any thoughts out there? I guess I'd say bring him in while we can still have 90 guys and see what shakes out. Never know when an injury might down one or more of our CBs.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd say bring him in while we can still have 90 guys and see what shakes out.
:L Trev, you're my bro and all but if you advocate bringing in one more fucking guy just to see how it shakes out I'm gonna hit you in the head with my walker at the opener. :lol:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside the box thinking here (shocker, I know), but if we were to sign Wright (or another competent CB) and had too many keepers to actually keep com cut-down day, it would make some sense to move or cross-train Jonte Green or Chris Greenwood at safety.

Green would make the most sense because of his build and playing style. Moving him would give us 4 young, talented safeties going forward, as well as extra insurance in the event that Delmas' career gets permanently side-tracked.

Just a little hypothetical, "what if" thinking. It's nice to finally have enough depth in the defensive backfield that we have the luxury of passing on a guy like Wright...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Trev, you're my bro and all but if you advocate bringing in one more fucking guy just to see how it shakes out I'm gonna hit you in the head with my walker at the opener. :lol:

That's the beauty of this new 90 man roster though. We can load up on cheap veterans for training camp and it doesn't cost us any draft picks, or anything against the cap. Instead of just having to devote precious extra offseason roster spots to developmental kids, we can now have both developmental guys and a small stockpile of veterans for insurance.

We've already seen evidence of this with Jake Scott and Leroy Harris being signed. They both have a good shot to earn a roster spot, but neither are guaranteed anything, either. They're just here on one year deals to improve camp competition and push the younger guys. Ideally we won't need either to open the season (contingent on the health of Bill Nagy, imo), but both are good enough to be bottom of the roster reserves, if needed.

The fact that Wright won't have a lot of options and will come cheap, combined by the fact that he did very well in a very particular role in our defense at least raises the specter of discussion on this one.

It'd be a freebie move for a guy that has proven he can play some CB in the NFL, why not? Then again, if he's more trouble then he's worth, then we're just fine without him, too.

Given that he failed his physical with the 49ers there's some precedent established already if we wanted to put him on the PUP to start the season. We could bring him in through camp and stick him on the PUP for up to 6 weeks before we had to make a decision on him. That'd give us great injury protection, shit I'd do that with a handful of the borderline roster cuts just in case...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did he fail his physical????????????
Will he pass one with the Lions?
Again I will state. I want to see what the Lions have in Green, Greenwood, and Bentley and the other 64 CB's you have brought in for a looksie.
Due to injury is he now a Vet minimum salary guy? 49er's seems as they were going to use him as nickel back. You know of all things you have said of crossbreeding players. I liked the statement of Quinn moving to nickel and Carey playing safety with Delmas.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the beauty of this new 90 man roster though. We can load up on cheap veterans for training camp and it doesn't cost us any draft picks, or anything against the cap. Instead of just having to devote precious extra offseason roster spots to developmental kids, we can now have both developmental guys and a small stockpile of veterans for insurance.

We've already seen evidence of this with Jake Scott and Leroy Harris being signed. They both have a good shot to earn a roster spot, but neither are guaranteed anything, either. They're just here on one year deals to improve camp competition and push the younger guys. Ideally we won't need either to open the season (contingent on the health of Bill Nagy, imo), but both are good enough to be bottom of the roster reserves, if needed.

The fact that Wright won't have a lot of options and will come cheap, combined by the fact that he did very well in a very particular role in our defense at least raises the specter of discussion on this one.

It'd be a freebie move for a guy that has proven he can play some CB in the NFL, why not? Then again, if he's more trouble then he's worth, then we're just fine without him, too.

Given that he failed his physical with the 49ers there's some precedent established already if we wanted to put him on the PUP to start the season. We could bring him in through camp and stick him on the PUP for up to 6 weeks before we had to make a decision on him. That'd give us great injury protection, shit I'd do that with a handful of the borderline roster cuts just in case...

:scratch: ummmm........are our doctors worse than those of the 49ers? if they failed him why would we even bother. Remember the walker young whipersnapper, its got your name written all over it :laugh3:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great sense of humor from many guys on this board.

43 is now walker age. MikeD has put me in the AARP group with Meow!!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to injury is he now a Vet minimum salary guy? 49er's seems as they were going to use him as nickel back.
I think due to his image problems and the fact that he's been through 3 teams in 3 years he's now a vet minimum salary guy (maybe a shade more, but certainly no longer a big contract guy). That's the only reason I'd be willing to take a chance on him- beacause he'd be cheap. I'd only bring him in as our 6th or 7th CB, so all the young guys could get more reps. Definitely more of an insurance policy than an upgrade for sure.

As far as position goes, he's definitely a nickle or dime back. He does not do well having to cover deep on the outside. When he played for us he was great when he moved inside when we went to 3 or 4 CBs, but not good at all when he played on the outside in our base set.

You know of all things you have said of crossbreeding players. I liked the statement of Quinn moving to nickel and Carey playing safety with Delmas.
That's the great part about having Quinn at safety is it opens up the defense so much more. He gives us the ability to disguise our coverage much better and that gives us the ability to finally be able to blitz DBs. Not that we'll blitz all that much still, but we can get a lot more creative now when we do.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: ummmm........are our doctors worse than those of the 49ers? if they failed him why would we even bother. Remember the walker young whipersnapper, its got your name written all over it :laugh3:
There's a good chance they failed him more because of the impact of that recent arrest coming to light than due to his actual condition. Teams use that trick fairly often- it was mentioned on the PFT article about his arrest that the 49ers might do that. Since the Bucs were apparently expected to cut him anyway maybe the 49ers "traded" for him with every intention of failing him on his physical just to give their current CBS a little jolt? I wouldn't put it past Harbaugh.

If he's truely too injured to pass a physical then all these crazy scenarios of mine are moot. Also, I'm pretty sure he'd have to clear waivers if the Bucs cut him anyhow, so we might not get the chance to sign him even if we wanted to...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really would like to see Quin at the nickel in preseason. May have said that 8 dozen times now. But everything Someone else mentions it, I like reading it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is an UFA, but I doubt anyone will touch him now. I certainly hope the Lions are not even considering it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the doubt Old Lion? His arrest was on suspicion of DUI, I believe, so he's not likely to receive any suspension from the league. Maybe two games if convicted since he had a DUI case last year that got dismissed.

I don't see anything that will keep teams away if he's healthy. Decent CBs under 30 years old are a hot commodity in the NFL.

I also don't (or wouldn't, rather) necessarily see him making the team, but I'd still want to bring him in. We face GB and their arial attack twice per year, and Chicago is moving towards an air-it-out offense as well. The more quality guys we can get in right now at CB the better. I wouldn't worry about Wright displacing any of our Young guys at all though...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as position goes, he's definitely a nickle or dime back. He does not do well having to cover deep on the outside. When he played for us he was great when he moved inside when we went to 3 or 4 CBs, but not good at all when he played on the outside in our base set..

See I would rather use one our kids at nickel or dime. Just maybe one of them can progress into starter material if Houston leaves..

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt like him when he was with the lions and dont want him back..

Of course detroits dr's would some how give him a passing physical....best, broyles, young(mental), delmas, burelson.......our doctors know what they are doing....

I remember arguing with a lion fan a few years back on cbs.....he said wright was ALL PRO CALIBER CB......and it wasnt tpaul..........i still wake up at 3AM IN A PUDDLE OF SWEAT from nightmares of seeing number 21 being burnt on a 40+ pass play. Was that only a dream? Or did that really happen? On a regular weekly basis?

Keep the kids we have and stay far away from eazy E

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I would rather use one our kids at nickel or dime. Just maybe one of them can progress into starter material if Houston leaves..

I'd definitely put all 6 of our current CB ahead of him, make no mistake. I think all of our younger guys have the potential of a brighter future than Wright has.

I don't think it needs to be an either/or though. Right now we can have both. Keep Wright as injury insurance through the preseason, same as I advocated with Laurent Robinson on your thread.

Wouldn't hurt anything, and he's better for sure than our current 7th, 8th or 9th CBs (Ross Weaver, DeQuan Menzie and Domonique Johnson).