• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers short yardage formation

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, or 4th and less than 1, on the opponents side of the 50 yard line.

If our defense plays as it did last year, and we have a solid short yardage option, then I wouldn't hesitate to run 4th & 1's from outside our 40.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If our defense plays as it did last year, and we have a solid short yardage option, then I wouldn't hesitate to run 4th & 1's from outside our 40.

our own 40? guess it depends on the game situation?

in general thats not for me. the reason is the good offenses we face, an offense thats clicking can't be stopped. they could eat up 40 yards in no time.

i'd think we could execute >50% of 4th and & 1, but wouldn't consider this 'solid'? so those 'misses' will hurt.

then there's the question of when do you find out our D and short yardage are solid? when do you feel comfortable these two things are in fact true? it might not be till game 3?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would rather punt or attempt a field goal if in range. Exceptions being if we are inside our 20 with a few minuets to go in the half with the score being like 6-3 (49ers up) than I probably would go for it

Or the defense has been dominant all day and we are at about their 45 and a first down would pretty much end the game

And of course if we are down in the 4th and need a first to keep the drive going

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our own 40? guess it depends on the game situation?

in general thats not for me. the reason is the good offenses we face, an offense thats clicking can't be stopped. they could eat up 40 yards in no time.

i'd think we could execute >50% of 4th and & 1, but wouldn't consider this 'solid'? so those 'misses' will hurt.

then there's the question of when do you find out our D and short yardage are solid? when do you feel comfortable these two things are in fact true? it might not be till game 3?

In the right situation was implied but not stated, my bad.